The Grim Company, by Luke Scull. Just like Abercrombie, but with actual magic.

Spockydog

Don't withhold criticism on my account! I'm in the unusual position of being able to incorporate reader feedback for my first book into my second book. Constructive criticism (rather than, for example, the author is a misogynistic shitlord or check out my unfinished and unpublished manuscript for a lesson on how to write a *real* character with depth! ;) ) is very helpful. Though to be fair, writing style probably isn't something I can easily fix...

I can see which threads you've been reading of late :)

If you're lucky you can get a thread(s) dedicated to whether you are better than GRRM or JRRT. I'm sure there will be lots of constructive criticism there.

This comes out in the UK on Friday. I'm on the last section of "cloud atlas" and really need a change of pace. A new series of "grimdark" may be just what is required.

150 pages in. Dravarus Cole is the easily the finest 'pratagonist' since The First Law's Jezal. The setting and premise are pretty good and there's a definite dash of Lynch in there as well as Abercrombie. The band of rebels uniting to overthrow a dark lord thing is also handled a lot better in The Grim Company than in the Mistborn trilogy, at least so far.

The female characters are pretty good as well so far, and a bit unconventional (one of them is working for Team Evil but doesn't seem to be a bad guy herself, though it could go either way). However, someone mentioned upthread that there's no rape in the books. There is, but it's present offscreen and is mentioned. It's definitely a grimdark fantasy, but not one that wipes the reader's face in it every five seconds.

For any fellow Canadians interested, you can purchase this book off Kobo. I finished it a few days ago.

That's an error with the Kobo store. It shouldn't be possible to purchase the e-book from the US or Canada. My publishers are looking into it. No offence to anyone living in the US & Canada. I love you guys. Just not quite enough to tear up my lucrative contract in a fit of pique at the sheer injustice of it all...

The reason for the lengthy delay between the UK/Commonwealth and North America publication dates is that Head of Zeus, my publisher on this side of the pond, is still relatively small and can move much more quickly when it comes to bringing the book to market. Penguin publish many great fantasy authors, and it's a case of slotting me in between the heavyweights where there's a space. (So that I don't completely overshadow them, obviously).

For first-in-a-series novels, it's perhaps a good thing to have a bit of delay between release dates as the book benefits from two separate publicity pushes - but as an author and a reader, it is frustrating. North American readers can, of course, order the hardcover and have it delivered.

The sample is the most infuriating peice of literature I had the pleasure of reading on my kindle. Just finished the super epic awesome sample and went onto amazon to buy the full book only to have my hopes dashed. Next two days are going to drag!

Mr. Cole is my favourite piece of the story so far, although his henchman choice leaves a lot to be desired.

Keep up the excellent work Luke Scull and I hope the book is a massive lumbering enchanted juggernaut of success.

Unfortunately, it looks like they've changed the link for the epub version of the sample, so now neither version works in the US.

Possibly because the whole thing is available to buy in the UK, now?

Read an extensive excerpt on Amazon UK. Hvae to say that after a couple of starting chapters I have decided to pick up the hardcover, it starts out pretty good already. I admit I'm a tad suspicious if something is not coming from at least one of the major publishers, especially if it's a debut, but the writing is simply on par with a lot of the better Fantasy books published. I'm very much enjoying the sense of humour in particular.

A detailed review has just been posted on Tor.com. Niall kindly invited me to blog my own thoughts on the future of grimdark fantasy - but since Joe Abercrombie has already done so (much better than I ever could), and I have a terrifying deadline looming for my second novel, I sadly had to decline.

Howdyphillip - I'll ask my publishers about Barnes and Noble. I thought Nooks could read e-books published through Kobo, but apparently not...

Edit: Thanks for clarifying, Brendan.

If someone had said to me, before I started reading Abercrombie:

"Hey man, you gotta check this author out. His books are totally grimdark."

I never would have picked them up in the first place.

Glad I never heard of that stupid fucking descriptive before reading Best Served Cold.

Don't withhold criticism on my account! I'm in the unusual position of being able to incorporate reader feedback for my first book into my second book. Constructive criticism (rather than, for example, the author is a misogynistic shitlord or check out my unfinished and unpublished manuscript for a lesson on how to write a *real* character with depth! ;) ) is very helpful. Though to be fair, writing style probably isn't something I can easily fix...

Your unnecessary jab is really making me want to read your book right now.

Archived