The Grim Company, by Luke Scull. Just like Abercrombie, but with actual magic.

Spockydog

Slowly getting into the book. Cole is pretty funny although he may get irritating (same as with Jezal) unless something happens to him that opens his eyes. The fight scenes are reminding me very much of Richard Morgan, which is a good thing. I'll be interested to see how Luke handles large battles if they occur.

I think i know where the story is going, in terms of there being a catch, but I shall read on and see,

• 3 weeks later...

finished, seemed to be a very small book as i flew through it in 2 days but i never can tell with kindle books. very good, loved that the final battle was quite small in size (i grow weary of 250,000 people fighting). lots of loose ends have me intrigued to see where book 2 will go.

Just got the ebook version, since I am in Brazil, so definately no paper version around these parts. I need to finish Last Arguments of Kings, then I will put this book in my queue. I have no idea what to read next!

I just finished it and have to say I enjoyed it well enough but I somehow feel it was lacking (my rating would be 3.5/5). As if it was trying to play it save. I didn't find it particularly grim or dark. And what's with the chatter here about grimdark. I am not a native speaker and I couldn't find it in the dictionary so I assume it is a neologism to describe constructive interference between dark and grim? Apart from the fact that this book isn't "grimdark" what's your problem english people? Don't like word combinations?

The characters were well enough, albeit nothing really new here. Maybe except for Cole. The one thing I really disliked was that:

Why introduce another character whose main trait is being delusional , overestimating oneself , belittle everyone else? What was the point of the whole story line? I almost skipped chapters with Yllandris. In my opinion it dragged the book down. (spoiler)............... Just to introduce another great evil? Was there not another way of doing it?

Got the book yesterday and I have to see im impressed with the quality of the book.the binding is a lot better than mowt UK fantasy books and heck the story ain't too shabby either. Signed copy from Goldsboro books.

When is the next book scheduled for publication?

So having just finished The First Law trilogy, I have a question: What does this thread title mean? Did the person not read the First Law trilogy or something?

Outside of that trilogy, there is a reduced amount of magic used and I can't really recall any in Red Country.

Do you live in the states? I could buy the english paperbook version on Amazon for 18€ (like $500 ? ^^) and send it to you? The kindle is only 1 € but I am pretty sure that that cannot be reselled / lend etc

I find international distribution laws silly in that age. Why is it not possible to buy things globally? I don't know much about how copyright laws work. Could one buy a copy directly from the author? Is it even his work anymore?

Archived