The Grim Company, by Luke Scull. Just like Abercrombie, but with actual magic.

Spockydog

Looks interesting, but I've made the decision to only start reading completed series, or in the case of longer series, series where the author has shown the ability to get the books written at some reasonable pace.

The likely five year wait for the next ASOIAF book has really killed a lot of the enjoyment of the series for me, and made me consciously avoid anything that looks like it may have the same issues.

• 3 weeks later...

I really liked the High Fangs twist at the end. Should be interesting to follow that storyline in the next book.

A bit disappointed that possibly the two most interesting POV characters were killed off, but at least it showed the author isn't afraid of killing people off.

If I had one major complaint it would be perhaps a lack of subtlety. The Isaac twist was telegraphed a mile away, for example.

The Wolf is my favourite character, definitely.

Overall good stuff. Readable, quite funny at times, colourful, and the big battle managed to stay away from boredom territory.

Edit: Snip. For some reason my quote wound up exposing everything in the spoiler tags. :dunno:

There's truth to everything here, I'm really interested in seeing what happens with the twist you mention. It would appear to have the potential to turn the entire series into something completely different.

This is really bad for me but I've forgotten what the events at the end were wrt High Fangs.

I vaguely recall the bad guy in the city maybe wasn't as evil as we'd suspected or the guy in pants/ruler of High fangs had a different agenda. Please refresh my memory

This is really bad for me but I've forgotten what the events at the end were wrt High Fangs.

The King (Kayne's son) goes out to hunt the demon, but the his evil underling whose name I forget, Krakaz or something - the one who likes raping and child murder - comes back and has assumed the crown, and has basically made a deal with the big bad demon called The Herald.

The King (Kayne's son) goes out to hunt the demon, but the his evil underling whose name I forget, Krakaz or something - the one who likes raping and child murder - comes back and has assumed the crown, and has basically made a deal with the big bad demon called The Herald.

That does ring a bell, thanks.

This thread made me want to read the books! I had initially discounted it as a Black Company rip-off (which I am in the midst of reading and loving) but now my interest is definitely piqued! It will be part of my next amazon order. :)

This thread made me want to read the books! I had initially discounted it as a Black Company rip-off (which I am in the midst of reading and loving) but now my interest is definitely piqued! It will be part of my next amazon order. :)

I would say that there's nothing ground breaking here, but an enjoyable read with some memorable characters. Its worth a read.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought this was a pretty strong book. Not sure how the title "The Grim Company" applies to the story, pretty thin IMO. But it is a good title, sounds cool and then there is the Black Company association. The book did read very similar to Abercrombie's First Law books, but I think it sets itself apart enough to stand on its own. The use of actual magic (as the threads title states) helped with that.

My two favorite characters were Brodar Kayne and Supreme Augmentor Barandas. I wonder if they were both just capable swordsman and observant individuals...or if there is something more going on with the two. Both seemed to have a knack for anticipation AND swordplay. Plus Salazar told Barandas he wouldn't need a weapon, just his magic heart. The heart was a nice touch. I was pumped when these two clashed in the climatic battle, knew it was going to happen when they began showing similar abilities.

I also found myself really liking the depiction of the Shaman. Especially when we find out at the very end he isn't THAT big of a bastard. He's not a good guy that's for sure, but who is? I wish we got to see more of Yllandris, but given the title of the next book I am betting she will be in it more.

One character I didn't like was Davarus Cole, especially at the start of the novel. I think that was the whole point, he grew more tolerable as the novel went on and I did feel a bit sorry for him at the end when he got shanked.

I have an uncle that travels to London regularly, maybe I'll have him pick me up the UK release of Sword of the North if it comes out there first, I am looking forward to it a lot now.

I got the audiobook read by Joe Jameson and I gotta say I am enjoying it. I was surprised at how quickly this book got out in audiobook form, too, read by at least two different narrators (the one I mentioned and Gerard Doyle).

I agree with a lot of the comments made so far in the thread though I am leaning more towards a comparison with Morgan's ALFFH work (modern language/dialogue but a lot less in the explicit sex department). I like the characters and I especially like the magic system and the dying gods stuff.

Meanwhile, the first book won't be available in the U.S. for two months still.

Stupid.

ETA: Also, the U.S. cover art is bad.

That's pretty bad.

SPOILZ

I know this post is old but you spoil a pretty big plot point from TFL all up in this quote!

Started reading this a few nights ago, loving this stuff. I especially like the northern setting in the High Fangs, the Shaman seems cool. Given what Kayne remembers about him though I doubt that's the case.

By any chance have you read Joe Abercrombie or Mark Lawrence? If you haven't you are in for a treat and should put them next on your reading list. I'd also be fascinated to see how you compare them having read Luke's book first (if that's the case) as you are probably in a minority.

By any chance have you read Joe Abercrombie or Mark Lawrence? If you haven't you are in for a treat and should put them next on your reading list. I'd also be fascinated to see how you compare them having read Luke's book first (if that's the case) as you are probably in a minority.

I haven't read Mark Lawrence, but I've read all of Abercrombie's stuff.

Archived