The Grim Company, by Luke Scull. Just like Abercrombie, but with actual magic.

Spockydog

They were mentioned, though I can't remember exactly when and where (although we know Isaac is one).

They're basically hardcore elves, from what we know so far. An immortal race that disappeared from the lands we know millennia ago, but now are apparently planning to come back and wipe out humanity for being a bit shit.

Yup,i do remember Isaac as being one of the fade/their spy and he promises some crusade against humanity.I don't remember if the reason for that was given though.

Also,what did you make of that conversation that Davarus Cole overhears ?

how did people find the book? I may try and squeeze it into a festive read if it's a fun one.

The e-book is out now, but I think only in Europe.

Also,what did you make of that conversation that Davarus Cole overhears ?

Interesting. Seems there's a higher level of gods, or something, that we weren't previously aware of.

Anyway I finished it now, good work. There's gonna be a lot happening in book 3...

• 2 weeks later...

Yeesh, a LOT has to happen in the next book if it's only a trilogy: the fehd, the gholam, Thanates-Cole-White Lady, Marius, demons, the northern story-line. Probably a bunch of smaller stuff I forgot too. Should be cool.

Yeesh, a LOT has to happen in the next book if it's only a trilogy: the fehd, the gholam, Thanates-Cole-White Lady, Marius, demons, the northern story-line. Probably a bunch of smaller stuff I forgot too. Should be cool.

If he follows in the fine tradition of his contemporaries, Abercrombie and Lawrence, then he doesn't have to wrap it up as there will be more trilogies and the like to come afterwards. It would be nice if he could wrap up the narrative in the way the other two did with their first trilogies though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

With the sequel coming out here in the U.S. in a few weeks, i really need to get reacquainted with the first book. I feel that I remember all of the major plot points, but forget some character names and some back story revelations.

I'm used to reading fantasy series one after another in order (A Song of Ice & Fire, First Law, The Black Company, etc..)

• 2 weeks later...

The Sword of the North

The city-state of Dorminia has fallen to the forces of the Lady of Thelassa. Early celebrations at the fall of one tyrant become muted as it becomes clear that the people have merely swapped one yoke for another, to the fury of Eremul the Halfmage. Meanwhile, Davarus Cole labours in a prison camp and dreams of escape, whilst Brodar Kayne, the Sword of the North, must cross a thousand miles of wilderness to reach his homeland in the High Fangs.

The Sword of the North is the follow-up to The Grim Company, one of 2013's more interesting fantasy debuts. It's the middle volume of a trilogy in the Abercrombie mould, with hard and brutal events offset by occasional knowing nods and winks about the silliness of the genre (and the odd Skyrim reference).

On the negative side, it is definitely the middle book of a trilogy and falls prey to many of the classic problems of such a volume. The story doesn't really begin or end, instead just rotating the characters through a series of intermediary plot points, some of which feel vital to the overall story and others feel like they exist solely because they are expected to in a fantasy trilogy. Brodar Kayne's story involves a whole lot of walking, Eremul's involves a whole load of fairly unsatisfying politics and Davarus's involves a whole load of hanging out in a prison camp. As middle books of trilogies go, this is definitely one of the more standard.

The author, at least, recognises this and gives the book a more cohesive shape with the arrival of some new players, some substantial expansion of the backstory and a nice recurring flashback to Kayne's earlier life, which gives the novel a much-needed dramatic spine and sense of direction. There's nothing too excitingly original in these sections, but Scull's solid skills with action scenes and reasonable characterisation keep things ticking over nicely.

The Sword of the North (***½) is a reasonable successor to The Grim Company, although it lacks some of the more compelling storyline and character moments of the original novel. It sets things up nicely for the finale, but it suffers a bit too much from "middle book syndrome" to truly shine. But if you enjoyed The Grim Company, this follow-up should satisfy. The book is available now in the UK and USA.

• 1 month later...

i`ve read both books and they are ok ,but whole time i was reading them i was under impression that they are Joe Abercrombie's "knock offs", i mean:story content,characters & style are all just variations on JA work

• 2 weeks later...

Dead Man's Steel will be released in April 2016. Here is the blurb:

As the “gripping”* epic from the author of Sword of the North continues, the Grim Company must battle a dangerous new enemy that is determined to destroy all of humanity…

In the City of Towers, former rebel Sasha and her comrade Davarus Cole struggle to keep the peace between the warring mages who vie for dominion. But when the White Lady sends Davarus south to the Shattered Realms to seek allies among the fallen kingdoms, he finds that his hardest battle may be one fought within. The godly essence now residing within him offers power that could be used against the Fade—but with every death that feeds It, Cole risks losing a part of himself.

An association with a Fade officer grants the Halfmage Eremul a position of privilege among Dorminia’s new masters. He witnesses firsthand the fate that awaits humanity. But with his magic pitiful in the face of the Fade’s advanced technology, the Halfmage must rely on his wits alone to save whom he can…

And in the frozen north, the legendary warrior Brodar Kayne fights a desperate battle for his people. He is running out of time: an ancient evil sealed beneath the mountains is about to break free, an evil that is older than humanity, older than the Fade, older even than the gods—and it will not stop until the entire world is drowned in blood…

http://www.penguin.com/book/dead-mans-steel-by-luke-scull/9780425264898

I thought the second book was pretty great.

Question for people that finished the book. Note, the question includes a spoiler.

[spoiler] I missed the significance of the last chapter reveal of Marius. I think he's a magelord. Am I wrong in assuming so? What was his significance; I can't remember from the first book. I did pick up that he was the mentor to the twin necromancers but other than that, I don't have a clue. [/spoiler]

I'm about halfway into Sword of the North. Liking it so far, but really struggling to remember what happened in the first book.

Didn't remember Cyreena at all and couldn't remember what happened to Cole at the end of the first.

Question for people that finished the book. Note, the question includes a spoiler.

[spoiler] I missed the significance of the last chapter reveal of Marius. I think he's a magelord. Am I wrong in assuming so? What was his significance; I can't remember from the first book. I did pick up that he was the mentor to the twin necromancers but other than that, I don't have a clue. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]

I might be wrong, but as far as I remember he was the magelord of the city that was drowned in first chapter of the first book and was thought to be dead.

[/spoiler]

Archived