House Thenn

mitch176

Are they a potential replacement for House Stark should they not make a recovery?

Due to being Wildlings they have the obvious strong connections to the First Men, and with the Magnar being married off to the strong-hearted Alys they already have the chance to become "one" with the North.

I'm not saying they'll step up straight away, but potentially down the line they could be a major player in the North, especially if the Starks don't see a ressurgance.

There are something like 300 Thenns. Maybe 1000 if their women and children have for some reason not been mentioned up to now.

The Karstark lands are the size of England and have a conservative population estimate (at say 3 people per square mile) of between 150 000 and 250 000 people.

If there's just one village in every 100 square miles - which is a ridiculously low density, by the way), the Karstark lands are dotted with around 1000 villages. The Thenns will barely add one new village to this tally.

The reality is that the Thenns are hardly going to make a ripple in the existing population of the Karstark lands.

There are something like 300 Thenns. Maybe 1000 if their women and children have for some reason not been mentioned up to now.

The Karstark lands are the size of England and have a conservative population estimate (at say 3 people per square mile) of between 150 000 and 250 000 people.

If there's just one village in every 100 square miles - which is a ridiculously low density, by the way), the Karstark lands are dotted with around 1000 villages. The Thenns will barely add one new village to this tally.

The reality is that the Thenns are hardly going to make a ripple in the existing population of the Karstark lands.

That estimate of the number of Karstarks has got to be too high. If there are that many people in Karstark lands, just one of the Stark bannerman, how do the Starks only manage to raise 20,000 troops for the WotFKs?

I think you've got to assume the North does have a ridiculously low population density, huge areas of it have got to be completely uninhabited.

That estimate of the number of Karstarks has got to be too high. If there are that many people in Karstark lands, just one of the Stark bannerman, how do the Starks only manage to raise 20,000 troops for the WotFKs?

I think you've got to assume the North does have a ridiculously low population density, huge areas of it have got to be completely uninhabited.

Not at all.

England had a medieval population of 2.5m, but the armies of the time numbered around 10,000-15,000 men. The North, which is vaster, wilder and harsher would have an even lower ratio of armed men to population than the fairly rich and fertile England had.

Medieval England's population density was around 40 people per square mile. By giving the Karstark lands a density of 3 people per square mile means they have less than one tenth, in fact less than one thirteenth of England's population density.

Fact is, the Riverlands are as fertile as England, and is around 5 times England's size. It should have a population around 5 times that of medieval England. And yet we still see it raising armies comparative to that of the North.

There is nothing unreasonable about a Karstark total population of around 250k at all. Meaning they raised around 1% of their total population to arms in the initial levy that responded to Robb's call to arms.

Putting aside numbers for a bit.

I more took it to mean that poltically the Thenn's, marrying Alys, would gain legitimacy and power as Northern noblity.

I'm not sure how likely that is, and I don't think they could topple the well-loved Starks, but I think in the years to come there could come to be a legitimate House Thenn.

I personally would like to think they would take over (at least a portion) of the Karstark land given the marriage to Alys. I would hope that after the Boltons are extinct they just destroy the Dreadfort. Think of all the years it has been the seat of the Boltons, how many horrible things have happened there, I would hate for that place to even exist at the end.

I personally would like to think they would take over (at least a portion) of the Karstark land given the marriage to Alys. I would hope that after the Boltons are extinct they just destroy the Dreadfort. Think of all the years it has been the seat of the Boltons, how many horrible things have happened there, I would hate for that place to even exist at the end.

i think the dreadfort will be arya and tommen future home

Considering the size of the North and it's low population, plenty of room for the Thenn.

true true

I would like to see House Thenn sitting in the Dreadfort but this is GRRM we're talking about. I don't see the Boltons falling unfrotunatly :(

The North is HUGE! Land has been given to the Wildlings and I could see House Thenn placing the flag around there or if Harrion bites the dust Karhold is going to have an even closer relationship to the first men :)

I would like to see House Thenn sitting in the Dreadfort but this is GRRM we're talking about. I don't see the Boltons falling unfrotunatly :(

The North is HUGE! Land has been given to the Wildlings and I could see House Thenn placing the flag around there or if Harrion bites the dust Karhold is going to have an even closer relationship to the first men :)

I never did quite understand why people think GRRM won't give House Bolton their just deserts. ASOIAF isn't a story that's about how bad people win all the time, it's a story about how actions have consequences and you have to deal with those consequences. Early on, characters like Ned and Robb are at a huge disadvantage because they aren't schemers... but as we've seen, their actions have made a lasting impression on the people around them that commands loyalty. Similarly, the Boltons will get theirs for Roose's part in the Red Wedding because that, too, will have its consequences.

Archived