House Thenn

mitch176

Rickon will probably keep the blood of the Starks, he will be the next Lord Stark, as Bran probably won't have issues and he will be a green seer and we don't know if he will return to Winterfell and Robb is dead, I believe Arya and Sansa won't die, Sansa will marry a northern and Arya will if she stopped being so disgusted about this stuff.

When the Others are destroyed Thenn will want to return to his copper mines.

I think that was his plan while heading south of the Wall, but good plans are always flexible, and in the south I think they will take a keen interest in learning how to work iron. They may like it and stay. Mayhaps a future novella will have a younger son return north and reclaim his ancestral home.

Moat Cailin

There is always the chance that they are given Moat Cailin.

If the North still harbours any aspirations of Independence (and I think it's clear it does! No Dragonlords, and no Lord Ned with Southron friendships), then someone must restore and hold Moat Cailin. It's dirty work for the newcomers on the block. Although the Thenns are native in bitter cold, Moat Cailin is closer to the Neck. Whoever holds Moat Cailin will have to hve dealings with and forge an understanding, if not actual friendship, with the Crannogmen. The Thenns are of the old old way, and the Crannogmen have remained green and close to the ways of the Cildren of the Forest.

So perhaps the Thenns are well suited to occupy and build life & land around Moat Cailin. But it's still unpallatable marshy.

If the Crannogmen keep such old, green ways... I wonder if any of the Old Tongue is spoken in the Neck...?

Giantkin

More importantly it has been said that the Thenns have more to do with the Giants than with the Wildlings. They both speak the Old Tongue exclusively. I think that whither the Thenn goes, so lumbers the Giantkin now without a king (recently killed as the last of his line beneath the Wall). The Thenns have little in common with they wildlings, the only reason theyare came in together is because Mance Rayder brought them into the fold and everyone is fleeing the WW. We have seen that the Giants don't seem to fit in anywhere and while the wildlings respect them, none of the Westerosi South of the Wall have been anything but uncomfortable with them. But both the Thenn and the Giants must find a place for themselves in this new world. And I don't think this place will be will the Wildlings.

The majority of giants are at Eastwatch-by-the-Sea I think (correct me if I'm wrong), and this is the closest to the Karstark lands (Crossing only a sliver of Umber ground between).

The Umbers and Giants

I wonder if any Umber will take special interest in the Giants. Would it not be a special prestige to have on hand the subject of your sigil?... The direwolves were a powerful symbol for House Stark. Though, with giant of teh Umber sigil breaking chains perhaps the Umber ancestors had a more antagonistic relationship with giants of old, fighting them or enslaving them to work (they are said to haved helped build Winterfell). Much in the same way as House Tolland of Dorne has a tail-eating Dragon upon their arms for their conflict with (Targaryen) Dragons. ...An anti-alignment of their sigil if you will.

Not with the Wildlings

The wildlings proper are a magnet (and magnate) for trouble, they are prone to raiding and warring and they already have the blood and the suspicions of the Northern Lords up by their very presence. I think the Thenns would would be well-advised (and likely well-inclined) to keep their distance from that powder keg and make their own way from here.

Skagos and Skane

We seem to have forgotten Skagos and Skane. I thought it odd that Skane should be at present uninhabited ( smell that, it's a loaded Chekov's gun!). Personally, I believe the coming of the Wildlings into the North will ultimately draw the Skagosi more in affairs of the realm. But that aside they are the other folk who share the Old Tongue with the Thenn.

Is it not possible that either the giants or the Thenn are given the uninhabitted Skane, alongside the bigger Skagos? Technically both islands are still under the dominion of the Lord paramount of the North and sworn to House Stark. the tales tell us that the Skagosi once killed or kidnapped every last soul on Skane, suggesting that it *IS* habitable. Even if they stone is barren the sea is rich. However, Skane is also a comparative stones throw from that other plot-pivotal calamity: The refugee camp of (former) Hardhom currently beeing dipped into by Dany-starved Slavers to their heart's content. I don't see how SOMEONE doesn't get Skane with everyone clambering to flee South, and it being uninhabitted, and under dominion of the North, and alongside the Skagosi as neighbours...The Skagosi being, conspicuously, the only group that are thoroughly of true First Men (culturally and genetically) in the old vein, anywhere in the North. they speak the old Tongue and keep the old ways. We saw how seriously brother Ben and Ned Stark schemed to resettle the gift. why not resettle Skane? Perhaps hardhome desperates are given to Skane, or one of the houses is sent there.

Skane small enough and remote enough to suite the Thenn, and it is closest to their new blood allies the Karstarks as well as to Eastwatch-by-the-Sea where the bulk of the Giants are.

But who knows perhaps an older Rickon dispossessed of Winterfell will return to the proximity of his Skagosi subjects and establish himself on Skane, a hard cadet branch of House Stark.

I find it interesting that the Thenn are now married to the Northern Bannermen closest to the Old-ways Skagosi...

• 3 months later...

I think that in the end even if they aren't granted a hold, they can build their own with the help of giants. The only thing left is for them to be given lands. Likely Bolton lands. People seem to forget that House Bolton is nearing extinction. The only members left are Roose and Ramsay (who is a legitimated bastard). And they are currently in the same place, being under siege. When someone (likely Stannis) takes Winterfell, they will both be executed and the House Bolton extinguished. House Thenn could be granted Bolton lands.

As for the number of Thenns, Magnar took more than 200 of them to flank Stannis. Meaning, the number of 300 was the ones equiped with bronze weapons and armor. Wildlings are not as few as people think. I doubt that Thenns would be the force that they are if there were only 300 of them.

• 2 years later...

They could gain Karhold, but Harrion may survive. The Dreadfort is another possibility, perhaps it will become the Thennfort. Or House Thenn will build its own Hold, (Thennhold?) in the Gift or New Gift and be Lords there. There are plans to resettle the gift and a Lord would be needed there.

I do hope that House Thenn survives the war for the dawn and gets to settle somewhere. I like the idea of them turning the Dreadfort into a Thennfort, though I agree that them gaining Karhold is more likely, what with Lady Thenn being Alys Karstark. 

It would add a nice sense of change to the world.

Archived