[TWoW Spoilers] Barristan

Ran

Sweet reading! Barristan slicing through douche bags is going to be a beauty.

Speaking of slicing -- I really hope that we get to see another Victarion chapter in which he's slaying on a massive scale. I just re-read the Shield Islands chapter from aFfC where he kills between 6-11 guys in only three pages, and throws the young noble guy into the water. I want to see a doubling or tripling of that, similar to the Japanese fight scene in Kill Bill 1.

Since he's such an archetypical fantasy character I really want him to have a glorious archetypical death (unlike most I don't think he'll perish in winds, but I seriously doubt he'll survive he whole deal).

My dream scenario involves Vic, that Valyrian axe on Gilligan's Isle or whatever, some sort cramped, enclosed chokepoint, and at least but not limited to 100 corpses of whatever affiliation.

....DEMON ARM!

Since characters in ASoIaF are typically doomed to an ironic fate, as is GRRM's brilliant writing style, I do wonder whether Ser Barristan will die in a less than honourable or knightly manner. However, he's already been shamed and expelled by the Joff once, so maybe he's hit his narrative plateau or is hurtling towards an heroic death arc.

Edited by mrlukeduke

Since characters in ASoIaF are typically doomed to an ironic fate, as is GRRM's brilliant writing style, I do wonder whether Ser Barristan will die in a less than honourable or knightly manner. However, he's already been shamed and expelled by the Joff once, so maybe he's hit his narrative plateau or is hurtling towards an heroic death arc.

I love how, really no one has any idea what will happen, credit to GRRm for making the most unpredictable set of books ever!

I like Barristan, and the fact that he has pledged himself to Dany and has told her she is not like her father, that she is the trueborn and rightful heir to westeros makes me feel better for her, like he wouldn't put his name on something that wasn't in the right.

I hope he is able to come through this battle galiantly, maybe he will die a little later, but I hope he gets to at least see Dany again and give her Silver back. I feel like Tyrion, Jorah and BBP are going to somehow be the heroes of the battle for Mereen. They have something cooking, and it will be the only way to defect back to Dany and keep her happy with them.

So the Khalasar Dany just met up with , it's enormous right? It's everyone that was left over from kahl Drogo's Khalasar right? If Dany leads them to the battle with her dragon the slaver armies wont stand a chance seems like.

I have seen ppl say the wild card in the battle will be the Volantene fleet. But idk, will they really show up in the middle of the battle just like the ironborn did? Seems like too much of a coincidence for them all to show up within a few hours of each other on the same day right?

Griff said that Illyrio paid Triarch Nyessos Vhassar of the Elephant party enough to own him eight times over...

I wonder what happened to the Volantene fleet? Were they under Tiger party power at the time they set sail? Vic was speculating the fleet's loss at sea amidst the storms the Iron Fleet encountered during the voyage to Meereen. The Iron Born should have been behind the fleet then, scattered or not, yet they land during the battle in Barristan's chapter. And the red priest and Moqorro said:

"No rain. Behind come the tigers. Ahead awaits your dragon."

And the countless slaves of Volantis, who worship R'hollor for the most part, are crying out for their Dragon Queen saviour, who they also believe is Azor Ahai.

Crazy chaos times ahead. Craaayzeeeeyy.

Edited by mrlukeduke

Griff said that Illyrio paid Triarch Nyessos Vhassar of the Elephant party enough to own him eight times over...

I wonder what happened to the Volantene fleet though? Were they under Tiger power at the time they set sail? Vic was speculating the fleet's loss at sea amid storms the Iron Fleet encountered during their voyage to Mereen. And the red priest and Moqorro said:

"No rain. Behind come the tigers. Ahead awaits your dragon."

And the countless slaves of Volantis, who worship R'hollor for the most part, are crying out for their Dragon Queen saviour, who they also believe is Azor Ahai.

Crazy times ahead. Craaayzeeeeyy.

Oh yeah good point about 'Behind are the tigers' so yeah maybe they will show up during the battle.

:cheers:

Could Dany show up with drogon and 20,000 or so dothraki? Hmmm.

Or will she just miss the battle altogether?

I've never liked Victorian or any Iron born for that matter, I hope drogon takes a bite out of him! Although that's kind of unrealistic.

I expect Dany to show up like that, à la Tywin at the Battle of the Blackwater.

I expect Dany to show up like that, à la Tywin at the Battle of the Blackwater.

This battle will be so epic. It's already the slaver's vs. barristans army and the iron born are pulling up in the harbor. The volantene fleet is right behind them. Dany and Drogon have a dothraki khalasar 20K deep and there are 2 other dragons on the loose. I can't even imagine what will happen and who will die!?!?

This battle will be so epic. It's already the slaver's vs. barristans army and the iron born are pulling up in the harbor. The volantene fleet is right behind them. Dany and Drogon have a dothraki khalasar 20K deep and there are 2 other dragons on the loose. I can't even imagine what will happen and who will die!?!?

To be fair, I doubt the Volantene fleet is right behind them. At least several days out. The Ironborn passed Volantis, and at the time the Volantene people were still partying and hadn't shipped off to Slaver's Bay yet. Furthermore, with such a large force of ships (300), holding the fleet together would take a lot longer, whereas Victarion had a much smaller fleet. After that storm, the Volantene's would have taken much longer to link up. Moreover, the Volantene's have all the time in the world to arrive at Slaver's Bay, unlike the Ironborn who have to race to get there and out before the Volantene's arrive. Chances are, after the battle, the Ironborn leave immediately to slip past the Volantene's or they stay and join a plan to raze and capture the oncoming vessels when they arrive.

To be fair, I doubt the Volantene fleet is right behind them. At least several days out. The Ironborn passed Volantis, and at the time the Volantene people were still partying and hadn't shipped off to Slaver's Bay yet. Furthermore, with such a large force of ships (300), holding the fleet together would take a lot longer, whereas Victarion had a much smaller fleet. After that storm, the Volantene's would have taken much longer to link up. Moreover, the Volantene's have all the time in the world to arrive at Slaver's Bay, unlike the Ironborn who have to race to get there and out before the Volantene's arrive. Chances are, after the battle, the Ironborn leave immediately to slip past the Volantene's or they stay and join a plan to raze and capture the oncoming vessels when they arrive.

That's what I tend to think, how could they all show up for the same battle on the same day? They aren't emperor penguins.

So that means that right after the battle, there will be another fleet pulling up behind the ironborn. If we are lucky the slave's on those ships will just overthrow the volantene captains and join dany's cause.

I kind of already predicted this kind of scene since ADWD... I'm only hoping that Victarion and Barristan have swordfight/duel with blunt swords just to see whos more badass... Who do you think will win though? XD

Vic vs Barristan hand to hand. OMG i have no idea. Barristan is so quick and strong, but gaining in years, and this battle will definitely tire him out big time. And Vic was just tearing through ppl when they boarded that ship. like 6 or 7 ppl in a row. I would have to give the upper hand to Vic I guess, even though I don't want to :(

Vic vs Barristan hand to hand. OMG i have no idea. Barristan is so quick and strong, but gaining in years, and this battle will definitely tire him out big time. And Vic was just tearing through ppl when they boarded that ship. like 6 or 7 ppl in a row. I would have to give the upper hand to Vic I guess, even though I don't want to :(

Much as I hate to say it, I don't see how Barry would have a shot in one on one. His army is MUCH better than Vic's though (I'm assuming).