Ran

[TWoW Spoilers] Barristan

796 posts in this topic

While I'm certainly appreciative of the detailed synopsis of the Ser Barristan II chapter that was provided back on the first page of this thread - I'm surprised that no one in attendance at the event at which Mr. Martin read that selection recorded the reading and subsequently transcribed it. I can only presume that there must've been a 'no recording' policy in effect at said event that was strictly enforced.  

Can anyone confirm if this was indeed the case, and if that's also the reason why there isn't a transcription of the Tyrion I chapter anywhere to be found online.

That said, considering though how exclusive trailers that premiere at Comic-Con always seem to get covertly shot by someone with a smart phone in their possession, it strikes me as odd that no one would've been able to sneak an audio recording of those two orally-delivered aforementioned chapters.

Apologies if this issue has already been covered either in this thread or elsewhere.

If GRRM had a no recording rule and someone posted a recording on this thread, I am more than sure the mods would take it down and probably give some sort of ban to the person who posted it.

While I'm certainly appreciative of the detailed synopsis of the Ser Barristan II chapter that was provided back on the first page of this thread - I'm surprised that no one in attendance at the event at which Mr. Martin read that selection recorded the reading and subsequently transcribed it. I can only presume that there must've been a 'no recording' policy in effect at said event that was strictly enforced.  

Can anyone confirm if this was indeed the case, and if that's also the reason why there isn't a transcription of the Tyrion I chapter anywhere to be found online.

That said, considering though how exclusive trailers that premiere at Comic-Con always seem to get covertly shot by someone with a smart phone in their possession, it strikes me as odd that no one would've been able to sneak an audio recording of those two orally-delivered aforementioned chapters.

Apologies if this issue has already been covered either in this thread or elsewhere.

It seems GRRM does request No recordings of his readings of sample chapters, and unfortunately those in attendance chose to respect it. I'd love Barristan II and Tyrion I transcripts as well. 

If GRRM had a no recording rule and someone posted a recording on this thread, I am more than sure the mods would take it down and probably give some sort of ban to the person who posted it.

If that's the man's policy, then that's the man's policy and I have no problem with it. But, being as I'm a naturally curious fella, I'm wondering how/why the Victarion chapter (or portion therof) that, as far as I know, was also only presented orally has been transcribed and made available online to read without incident.

^He can have different rules for different things, wasn't that a televised event he read Victarion at?  It certainly wasn't a con.

^He can have different rules for different things, wasn't that a televised event he read Victarion at?  It certainly wasn't a con.

Huh, I'd just assumed it was read at a con. If it was read at a televised event, then yeah - that would be a completely different beast.

I'm still trying to figure out the man's thinking in having allowed the second Tyrion chapter to be made readily available to readers in advance of the first. :) 

Her name sure does bring Shiera Seastar to mind, doesn’t it?

Yeah it does.

I wonder if she is from Hyrkoon, being a warrior woman who fights bare-chested fits but she just could be a snake dancer(?) from some part of Essos.

Anyhow she is interesting [emoji15]

And sorry for the 1 year and some late reply. [emoji21] [emoji21] Edited by Mrs.Grumpy

It's funny that everyone thinks Victarion is going back to Westeros with Daenerys. He's going to get burnt or eaten by Rhaegal or Viserion and Daenerys will have her ships to sail for Westeros

6 hours ago, ThePrinceThatKnewNothing said:

It's funny that everyone thinks Victarion is going back to Westeros with Daenerys. He's going to get burnt or eaten by Rhaegal or Viserion and Daenerys will have her ships to sail for Westeros

This could justify why GRRM included in ASOIAF Asha as a woman capable of commanding men and ships: the ironborn would accept a woman as their captain if she showed strength and competence!

Daenerys would be ferociuos and powerful enough... with her dragons!

I think you're right, I think Asha will lead the iron born at some point, probably when Dany gets to Westeros.

I can't wait for Tyrion to tame Viserion

On 20/03/2016 at 8:29 AM, ThePrinceThatKnewNothing said:

I think you're right, I think Asha will lead the iron born at some point, probably when Dany gets to Westeros.

I can't wait for Tyrion to tame Viserion

Yeah i think he will use some Nettles skill or will have another brilliant mindfuck idea.

I think that when Victarion blows the horn it will bind the dragons to their riders, and once they get out of their cage they will go to said riders. A little crackpot I know, but honestly how well do any of these so called sorcerers and magicians understand the power of these artifacts?

There are plenty of loopholes in the dragonbinder's inscription - 

- Moqorro could have translated it wrongly, either deliberately or innocently

- the inscription is deliberately misleading (i.e. the writer used weasel words on purpose).

- GRRM could come up with some plot twist that means the horn doesn't work as intended (e.g. horn only works when there is a single dragon present, but then it gets blown when two out of Dany's beasts are present).

Oh Gods, I hope Barristan survives! I always loved the idea of the most revered knight in the realm going over to the side of the TRUE heir to the throne. Targaryens forever! I trust Vicatarion more than any other Greyjoy, and I trust Euron about as far as I can throw him.

On 7/17/2017 at 3:42 PM, Prince Jon Targaryen said:

Oh Gods, I hope Barristan survives! I always loved the idea of the most revered knight in the realm going over to the side of the TRUE heir to the throne. Targaryens forever! I trust Vicatarion more than any other Greyjoy, and I trust Euron about as far as I can throw him.

If Barristan dies in battle, who holds Meereen for Daenerys. The Shavepate? I think there would be open war between the Sons of the Harpy and the Brazen Beasts. Whom would Grey Worm follow, or might Grey Worm step up and truly become free? Neither of the companies of freedmen is strong enough to prop up their leader. All of the other pro-Daenerys leaders or potential leaders are outsiders, none of which has the strength to impose their will on all the other pro-Daenerys factions. It would be very chaotic. But perhaps, that's what the George wants.