Moments of Foreshadowing 4

Ice Turtle

When Mormont is telling jon that he is going north, past the wall and that he will find Benjen and what not.His Raven quorks "Ben Jen", not Ben or Benjen or Ben jen but Ben Jen. I wonder is this is one of those hidden easter eggs GRRM likes to put in his books.

not really foreshadowing per se, but maybe someone can enlighten me, i was wondering if anyone had any theories on why Rhaegal and Drogon are always associated together and Viserion keeps to himself. I also found it curios that when Dany treats with the Slaver at Yunaki Viserion doens't spit fire at him when she burns his tokar, but later roast the head of one of the dead stormcrows in the same chapter

When Mormont is telling jon that he is going north, past the wall and that he will find Benjen and what not.His Raven quorks "Ben Jen", not Ben or Benjen or Ben jen but Ben Jen. I wonder is this is one of those hidden easter eggs GRRM likes to put in his books.

But what does it mean?

Oh, ew. Maybe he got cut through in the middle? :crying:

I've really no idea, but I'd like to know.

I think Shireen is going to die soon. She had a dream in ACOK that a dragon was going to eat her:

“I had bad dreams,” Shireen told him. “About the dragons. They were coming to eat me.”

The child had been plagued by nightmares as far back as Maester Cressen could recall. “We have talked of this before,” he said gently. “The dragons cannot come to life. They are carved of stone, child.

The dragons can't eat her because they are made of stone he promises her, an empty promise I think. Then:

ASOS; Davos

“Your brother’s blood,” Melisandre said. “A king’s blood. Only a king’s blood can wake the stone dragon.”

Martin said this in an SSM Entry:

So what's Stannis going to do when Mel decides to sacrifice Shireen?

(Now, that actually startled him a bit. He said, well, yes, it is the blood of a king. Then he just handed me the bowl of cheese doodles. I'm not sure if that meant anything at all...)

Val says that Shireen is dead in ADWD:

“I can. You know nothing, Jon Snow.” Val seized his arm. “I want the monster out of there. Him and his wet nurses. You cannot leave them in that same tower as the dead girl.

Jon shook her hand away. “She is not dead.”

“She is. Her mother cannot see it. Nor you, it seems. Yet death is there.”

Tell me that's not ominous as shit :stunned:

Jon also said this in ADWD:

Burning dead children had ceased to trouble Jon Snow; live ones were another matter. Two kings to wake the dragon. The father first and then the son, so both die kings.

Burning dead children, which is what Val called Shireen, had ceased to trouble Jon Snow (not what he meant, but the foreshadowing is there)....also very ominous.

And look at the line 'two kings to wake the dragon, first the father and then the son' Swap out 'son' for 'daughter' (Shireen, by Martin's own admission, is King's Blood, just as much a son would be) and this fits what is happening at the Wall extremely well I think. Jon got word that Stannis was "dead" and now he has been assassinated and set up to be "awakened" through resurrection.

If that resurrection process involves a fire that Shireen is consumed in then all the pieces snap into place almost perfectly. Jon's statement on ceasing to be bothered by burning 'dead children' and then Val calling Shireen a 'dead child'. Shireen's dream that a dragon (Jon) would eat her, the "death" of two kings setting off the process (Stannis "dies", which start's a chain of events that leads to the sacrifice of Shireen's King's Blood) that awakens Jon, the dragon.

Stannis was willing to sacrifice an innocent in Edric Storm in ASOS in order to wake a dragon that would save the world. So there is a rather beautiful irony (though morbid as hell) in his own innocent daughter Shireen ending up as the King's Blood sacrifice that wakes the dragon who will save the world (Jon, leading the fight against the Others).

In regards to Walder Frey...

"Catelyn would gladly have spitted the querulous old man and roasted him over a fire"

Seems like an interesting prospect.

It also resonates well with Freyr, the norse fertility god, who gets killed by a fire giant.

I actually think that the Twins will be Harenhall 2.0. They are in a pretty strategic place to catch some accidental fire as well, should a battle be held.

Burning dead children, which is what Val called Shireen, had ceased to trouble Jon Snow (not what he meant, but the foreshadowing is there)....also very ominous.

The quote at the end of the paragraph seems as ominous.

The king can be harsh and unforgiving, aye, but a babe still on the breast? Only a monster would give a living child to the flames.

The way it's written makes me think it may be ironic foreshadowing, and it will be Jon doing (sanctioning) the burning.

There's also parallel foreshadowing here, Gregor somewhat gave Sandor to the flames and now he's become a real monster.

I'm not really good at spotting foreshadowing, but Tyrion seems to be associated with quite a few of Viserion's features.

closed his hand around Tyrion’s alabaster dragon, removed it from the board.
A half-seen shape flapped by overhead, pale leathery wings beating at the fog. The dwarf craned his head around to get a better look, but the thing was gone as suddenly as it had appeared.
turtles whose ridged and patterned shells were covered with whorls of gold and jade and cream. Some were so large they could have borne a man upon their backs. Yandry swore the Rhoynar princes used to ride them across the river.

or maybe I'm just a Tyrion fan who's overreaching..

I came across this one when rereading AGoT, and I think it speaks to Sandor, Loras and Gregor and their current situations(them being "dead" men walking) from AFFC onwards

There were shadows all around them. One shadow was dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound. Another was armored like the sun, golden and beautiful. Over them both loomed a giant in armor made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood.

Or it could just foreshadow the events of the Hands tourney

I think Shireen is going to die soon. She had a dream in ACOK that a dragon was going to eat her:

The dragons can't eat her because they are made of stone he promises her, an empty promise I think. Then:

And look at the line 'two kings to wake the dragon, first the father and then the son' Swap out 'son' for 'daughter' (Shireen, by Martin's own admission, is King's Blood, just as much a son would be) and this fits what is happening at the Wall extremely well I think. Jon got word that Stannis was "dead" and now he has been assassinated and set up to be "awakened" through resurrection.

If that resurrection process involves a fire that Shireen is consumed in then all the pieces snap into place almost perfectly. Jon's statement on ceasing to be bothered by burning 'dead children' and then Val calling Shireen a 'dead child'. Shireen's dream that a dragon (Jon) would eat her, the "death" of two kings setting off the process (Stannis "dies", which start's a chain of events that leads to the sacrifice of Shireen's King's Blood) that awakens Jon, the dragon.

Stannis was willing to sacrifice an innocent in Edric Storm in ASOS in order to wake a dragon that would save the world. So there is a rather beautiful irony (though morbid as hell) in his own innocent daughter Shireen ending up as the King's Blood sacrifice that wakes the dragon who will save the world (Jon, leading the fight against the Others).

What I find particularly interesting here is the parallel between Shireen's dreams and Targ dragon dreams (especially those of Daeron in The Hedge Knight) Let's not forget her Targ blood. Very ominous stuff.

I came across this one when rereading AGoT, and I think it speaks to Sandor, Loras and Gregor and their current situations(them being "dead" men walking) from AFFC onwards

Or it could just foreshadow the events of the Hands tourney

Hmm, that's interesting.

I always thought it was Sandor, Jaime and LF as the giant, foreshadowing LF as a prime mover behind many of the events. I wouldn't rule out your interpetation though.

Well, that's depressing.

I'm off to weep now.

Well, that's depressing.

I'm off to weep now.

In TWOW, Tommen is going to be murdered by Varys to shatter the Lannister-Tyrell alliance for Aegon....just thought you'd like to hear that :)

Also, I think Septon Cellador was involved in the plot to assassinate Jon:

ADWD; Jon

Septon Cellador appeared confused and groggy and in dire need of some scales from the dragon that had flamed him, whilst First Builder Othell Yarwyck looked as if he had swallowed something he could not quite digest.

Jon is the dragon, and the Septon got his "scales" the day they assassinated Jon. He also spoke against Jon in ASOS:

ASOS; Jon

Septon Cellador cleared his throat. “Lord Slynt,” he said, “this boy refused to swear his vows properly in the sept, but went beyond the Wall to say his words before a heart tree. His father’s gods, he said, but they are wildling gods as well.”

So there is precedent for him being anti-Jon imo.

Hmm, that's interesting.

I always thought it was Sandor, Jaime and LF as the giant, foreshadowing LF as a prime mover behind many of the events.

Yea yours makes more sense I guess. What got me onto mine was the last line ''but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood.''

After that came a savory snake stew, chunks of seven different sorts of snake slow-simmered in dragon peppers and blood oranges and a dash of venom to give it good bite.

All Dornishmen were snakes, and the Martells were the worst of them.

I think we will see seven members of the Martell family die in the series, with the snakes described as simmered in dragon peppers to hint at the reasons for their demise. Oberyn and Quentyn are already dead. When a weak Doran hears about what happened Quentyn, it may kill him. Arianne will perish in the second Dance of Dragons. Oberyn's daughters Obara, Tyene and Nymeria will join him to the grave with Tyene likely being killed when Cersei scours Baelor's Sept where Tyene is getting close to the HS, and Obara and Nymeria may perish in the second Dance of Dragons.

Or the seventh couldn't be Oberyn, but Sarella Sand who dies in Oldtown due to either Euron's assault, Jaqen or Dany burning the city, but I'm a bit reluctant to name her since she seems to use her brain unlike her sisters and is away from her family's political machinations. I think it could rather Elia, who is named for a dead woman and is akin to the KoLT, Lyanna, who also died.

After that came a savory snake stew, chunks of seven different sorts of snake slow-simmered in dragon peppers and blood oranges and a dash of venom to give it good bite.

All Dornishmen were snakes, and the Martells were the worst of them.

Great find--this could definitely be a hint towards the upcoming Dance of Dragons 2.0. Perhaps it's a clue that the Targaryens, associated with dragons and blood (and Dornish peppers are known to be "fiery"), will cause the "seven" kingdoms to fragment again (after being "simmered in [fire] and blood").

What were the other courses? The "after that" has me curious. Could the previous courses have described events that have already occurred?

I thought specifically of House Redwyne because, in Dany's very first chapter in AGOT, Viserys lists for her the nobility that he believes will support a Targaryen restoration:

Before AFFC, I thought that was just a random list meant to show Viserys's ignorance---after all, why on earth would the Greyjoys of all people support the Targs? They do hate the Baratheons, but that's because they hate everybody. But given that the Greyjoys (and the Dornishmen) have now actively sought out Dany for an alliance, and both groups seem likely to screw her over (intentionally on the Dornishmen's part, unintentionally on the Greyjoys' part), I now think this list might be a very early hint as to the Westerosi that will 1) initially appear pro-Dany but 2) will end up screwing Dany over. (I mean, House Darry is basically now House Frey, since every remaining Darry is either married to, or a daughter of, a Frey, so allying with "House Darry" would be poisonous to any conquest---and House Tyrell, of course, is controlled by Mace, an idiot.)

The above from the first thread.

With regards to Darry, Tyrion discovered they were hoarding pro Targ items, so Viserys was correct.

With regards to them being all but Freys now I'd point out that Gatehouse Ami was swooning over Harwyn Plumm who in practice if not in name appeared to be running the place while Lancel prayed. Now that Lancel is gone Harwyn's power could only have increased. Ben Plumm has all ready betrayed Dany once, should he do so again perhaps he'll bring his nephew and Darry with him.

Harwyn and Darry would have to first survive the BWB though.

Archived