Moments of Foreshadowing 4

Ice Turtle

Awesome theory about Cersei. I can see it happening, although she may do it unintentionally. If Margaery goes free, maybe she loses her mind and tries to burn part of the castle or something but she can't control the wildfire and it spreads.. That'd be crazy.

Great job on the Cersei wildfire catches, Ser Wun Wun!

I'd also add

AGoT Eddard

Her eyes burned, green fire in the dusk

ACoK Arya

She wished the Rush would rise and wash the whole city away, Flea Bottom and the Red Keep and the Great Sept and everything

Bran or BR may send the Hammer of the Waters to out out the fires of KL

A little contribution to the foreshadowing of the Lannister-Tyrell battle with Dany's dragons.

King Loren had escaped, and lived long enough to surrender, pledge his fealty to the Targaryens, and beget a son, for which Tyrion was duly grateful.

Jaime may father a son on Brienne after the battle.

Lancelot, Jaime's influence, had an illegitimate son with Elaine, Galahad. Galahad was given his father's name, and Merlin prophesied that Galahad would surpass his father in valor. Galahad becomes a knight at the court of King Arthur, Jon's influence, where King Arthur proclaims him the greatest knight ever after accomplishing a few feats.

Jaime Storm will grow up to possibly be a member of Jon's KG, and be remembered as one of the best members of the KG to have ever served.

Was going over this in another thread yesterday, so I decided to put together a collection of all the quotes that I think could foreshadow Cersei burning down King's Landing.

<snip>

And we know who killed the last Aerys... and Cersei should as well, but I got the impression that she never understood the reasons of his actions.

I bet that if she wasn't so concerned about Tyrion she wouldn't go around burning towers.

<snip>

When I was still pretty new here I used to think there was a good chance that Cersei and Jaime were the Mad King's bastards. But lately I've started to think that all of the Cersei-Aerys connections are actually meant to tie in to the valonqar prophecy; i.e., Jaime killed Aerys, and he will eventually kill Cersei, who is effectively turning into Aerys with teats.

When I was still pretty new here I used to think there was a good chance that Cersei and Jaime were the Mad King's bastards. But lately I've started to think that all of the Cersei-Aerys connections are actually meant to tie in to the valonqar prophecy; i.e., Jaime killed Aerys, and he will eventually kill Cersei, who is effectively turning into Aerys with teats.

After all, if it is true that "history repeats itself"... it's also true that there's no one who can replace Jaime!

To put it with our very own Kinglayer's words, "There is no one like me. Only me."!

Jaime Lannister: slaying regents since 283 A.L.

I just came across a nice exchange between Donal Noye and Jon Snow in AGoT that I think foreshadows Jon's being Julius Caesared:

"Yes, life," Noye said. "A long life or a short one, its up to you, Snow. The road you're walking, one of your brothers will slit your throat for you one night.

Awesome theory about Cersei. I can see it happening, although she may do it unintentionally. If Margaery goes free, maybe she loses her mind and tries to burn part of the castle or something but she can't control the wildfire and it spreads.. That'd be crazy.

That does seem possible. I could definitely see her trying to target just Marg, probably at the Great Sept of Baelor, which Cersei obviously hates now because of her imprisonment there (Sansa once wished the place would burn down too). But the thing is that:

ACOK; Tyrion

wildfire had a will of its own. Once loosed, it was beyond the control of mere men.

So the blaze could spread out of control. And looking at the map of King's Landing, we can see that the Guildhall of the Alchemists is located just down the street from the Great Sept of Baelor. Tyrion said this during the BW battle:

ACOK; Tyrion

Gods be good, the wildfire, if any blaze should reach that... “We can lose all of Flea Bottom if we must, but on no account must the fire reach the Guildhall of the Alchemists, is that understood? Clegane, you’ll go with him.”

So if Cersei sets off wildfire at the Great Sept and it spreads just down the street to the Alchemist's hall....King's Landing goes boom. :wideeyed:

ACoK, from the very first page of the prologue:

Cressen, surrounded by gargoyles, looks at them: "If only their stone toungues could speak..."

One of Tyrion's catchphrases is "My big mouth/my toungue will be the death of me" (I'm not reading from the english version of the books).

In ADwD, after Tyrion is rescued from drowning, Haldon half-maester says that those affected by greyscale could turn into stone from the inside, and up until now we've seen character who turned stone from the outside (I don't think GRRM would add the comment just because), Shireen and Jon Connington that is.

Interesting, interesting...

Tyrion did swallow a lot of the river water in that scene. I'm assuming the water was a source of the contagion, since Connington was infected and he never touched one of the stone men like Tyrion, all he did was jump in the river. Also, Septa Lemore forced the water from Tyrion's lungs, so if he is indeed infected, it seems like she is too. Just pointing that out.

I went through the books looking at all the mentions of greyscale and grey plague trying to find some stuff to support this theory, but I got nothing. The Tyrion=gargoyle thing is the only connection so far. But if Tyrion suddenly develops a cough or something in TWOW, I will immediately think of this theory!

That does seem possible. I could definitely see her trying to target just Marg, probably at the Great Sept of Baelor, which Cersei obviously hates now because of her imprisonment there (Sansa once wished the place would burn down too). (...)So if Cersei sets off wildfire at the Great Sept and it spreads just down the street to the Alchemist's hall....King's Landing goes boom. :wideeyed:

Sansa's wishes are funny things in ASOIAF: her wish that the rage inside the Hound be gentled, her wish that some hero would strike off Janos Slynt's head, etc. Maybe she'll get her wish that the Great Sept be burned. Cersei has beef with the Faith, so I could see her targeting the Great Sept. There's also a lot of foreshadowing power in "on no account must X happen" (X being the wildfire reaching the Guildhall of the Alchemists), which all but guarantees X will happen in this series.

They had been seven against three yet only two lived to ride away

This is a description of the scene of the ToJ with Baratheon men vs. Targaryen men, where the trio are killed and only two are left standing from the seven. There were seven Targaryen heirs (Aerys, Rhaegar, Aegon, Rhaenys, Viserys, Dany and Jon) and three Baratheon heirs (Robert, Stannis and Renly).

Robert and Renly are already dead, and Stannis will follow them to the grave. Of the Targaryen heirs, only two survived: Jon and Dany. One of two survivors from the ToJ, Ned, later dies in the series, this foreshadows the deaths of one of the two Targaryen heirs. It may be easy to point to Jon since he is the one most related to Ned and the Ides of Marsh, but I think Dany is the more likely candidate.

This maybe crackpot foreshadowing, but tying in with the Tyrion getting Greyscale theory, there is the Sailor's Wife who has the prophecy that if she meets her love again he will be a corpse.

her love is dead, I could taste that in her blood. If he ever should come back to her, it will be a corpse.

Then we have In ADWD Val's reaction to Shireen:

You cannot leave them in that same tower as the dead girl.

So if one with Greyscale is regarded as dead, it may mean that Tyrion will get greyscale but find Tysha and Lanna. Also if he brought them back to Casterly rock, given their profession, he will have done exactly what Tywin said he didn't want, for Tyrion to make Casterly Rock his whore's house. The bittersweet part of course would be that he him self is dying and having greyscale can never hug them or be close to anyone again.

Edit: Also on the Gargoyle and Greyscale theme, you have LF making a joke that compares Shireen to a Gargoyle.

Tyrion's last chapter in ACoK.

The Imp is bedridden because of the battle and he dreams strange things due to poppy's milk and so on.

Between a dream and another, there's also the image of a "death field", after the battle.

Interesting to notice, this dream is colorless, in black and white, and only the grey prevails.

The sisters of silence undress the dying men and they are all covered in shades of white and grey.

At first I thought that Tyrion is recalling the Blackwater Battle, but:

-It's mentioned the tourney field, as far as I recall it never appears in the BWB

-There's absolutely no mention of the colour red, nor of blood. Only some black, white, and most importantly grey.

-Corpses are tossed on pyres: no one burns their dead except for Targaryens or people beyond the wall (and for a very specific reason).

Unless we are talking about epidemies ^^

-Tyrion asks himself "Why did I kill them?"

-He wants to ask a Sister of Silence the reason, but... he has no mouth.

Sure, the mouth closed is due to bendages and the dream could be a consequence of the Blackwater Battle.

Personally, now I'm totally sold into Tyrion being the greyscale carrier.

In the sequence most of the people call for their mother, I couldn't help but think of the famous "Mysha, Mysha" invocations at the Slaver's bay.

Tyrion's last chapter in ACoK.

The Imp is bedridden because of the battle and he dreams strange things due to poppy's milk and so on.

Between a dream and another, there's also the image of a "death field", after the battle.

Interesting to notice, this dream is colorless, in black and white, and only the grey prevails.

The sisters of silence undress the dying men and they are all covered in shades of white and grey.

At first I thought that Tyrion is recalling the Blackwater Battle, but:

-It's mentioned the tourney field, as far as I recall it never appears in the BWB

-There's absolutely no mention of the colour red, nor of blood. Only some black, white, and most importantly grey.

-Corpses are tossed on pyres: no one burns their dead except for Targaryens or people beyond the wall (and for a very specific reason).

Unless we are talking about epidemies ^^

-Tyrion asks himself "Why did I kill them?"

-He wants to ask a Sister of Silence the reason, but... he has no mouth.

Sure, the mouth closed is due to bendages and the dream could be a consequence of the Blackwater Battle.

Personally, now I'm totally sold into Tyrion being the greyscale carrier.

In the sequence most of the people call for their mother, I couldn't help but think of the famous "Mysha, Mysha" invocations at the Slaver's bay.

Sold too! Awesome! Do you maybe think that he could be the corpse on the prow of the ship, smiling sadly?

Her silver was trotting through the grass, to a darkling stream beneath a sea of stars. A corpse stood at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, grey lips smiling sadly. A blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness.... mother of dragons, bride of fire..

Notice the sequence, or rather who the surrounding visions represent - her silver might represent herself or Drogo or both, blue flower represents Jon. If we assume Jon, Dany and Tyrion are more or less the main characters...

Also - we have two precedents - the pale mare was foretold to Dany (a plague), and the Braavosi ship that stopped in Pentos, the plague in which Serra died (this is a precedent of a plague coming by ship).

Tyrion is disfigured, with another identity (a corpse), a sad smile is something that I would attribute to him, comes by ship (I am pretty sure at one occasion he was standing near the prow and talking to Penny?), and the grey lips are self explanatory. Maybe?

Yep Fittlelinger, I guess the corpse is Tyrion (corpse as former shadow of himself... or why not? as dead man walking).

Up until now I believed it was Jon Connington, but probably it was a red herring like many others in the books: after all, I don't see any reasons why Jon Connington should smile, he never does. Tyrion, on the other hand...

HoTU is one of the most fascinating episodes in the whole series, up until now the only real notable analisys comes from Tze (Tze - if you read, picture me applauding) and still I don't believe it has been 100% cracked.

For example, I still am not entirely sure about the "her silver" part you depicted - nor about the dragon breathing black fire (possibly Bran, but hey - I'm still not totally convinced).

Also, Tyrion being the corpse makes more sense since it's the "Mother of Dragons" part of the vision, therefore "Bride of fire ->Targaryen -> all the three figures depicted are the last remaining Targaryens, namely Daenerys, Jon Snow and Tyrion.

Sneaky, sneaky prophecies...

There was a thread on here that got me thinking about what the North will end up doing with Manderly's fleet. Personally I like the dragonglass supply theory, that Jon (or Stannis) will send the fleet to take Dragonstone because that is where the obsidian they need to fight the Others is. Here is a line from the text that I think foreshadows that:

ACOK; Bran

In addition to a mint, Lord Manderly also proposed to build Robb a warfleet. “We have had no strength at sea for hundreds of years, since Brandon the Burner put the torch to his father’s ships. Grant me the gold and within the year I will float you sufficient galleys to take Dragonstone and King’s Landing both.”

Bran’s interest pricked up at talk of warships. No one asked him, but he thought Lord Wyman’s notion a splendid one. In his mind’s eye he could see them already.

I find it interesting that Manderly mentioned taking Dragonstone here, when it was Stannis who held it at that point, not the Lannister's. Of course, if the taking Dragonstone part is foreshadowing, it likely also means that Manderly's fleet will end up taking KL too eventually, since it was mentioned as well.

There was a thread on here that got me thinking about what the North will end up doing with Manderly's fleet. Personally I like the dragonglass supply theory, that Jon (or Stannis) will send the fleet to take Dragonstone because that is where the obsidian they need to fight the Others is. Here is a line from the text that I think foreshadows that:

I find it interesting that Manderly mentioned taking Dragonstone here, when it was Stannis who held it at that point, not the Lannister's. Of course, if the taking Dragonstone part is foreshadowing, it likely also means that Manderly's fleet will end up taking KL too eventually, since it was mentioned as well.

t

Yeah i think it will be Stannis and Dany follows him and beats him if she lands on the east coast, I could see Tyrion leading them to the vale. i think Cersie's council scene has a bunch of foreshadowing in it and they mention a fight in the Vale, it will cumulate with Littlefingers death after he thinks he's about to get Sansa's hand. I believe though that the trip to the vale will not be all that fortuitous for Tyrion and Dany either though it will be Sansa's and maybe Arya's time to shine and the ships will become the North's again. Call it crack pot but Jon might even be involved, I don't think he's going to be nailed to the wall in winds and it I think winds will cover the most time of any book to make up for some of the lost 5 year gap

Sold too! Awesome! Do you maybe think that he could be the corpse on the prow of the ship, smiling sadly?

Her silver was trotting through the grass, to a darkling stream beneath a sea of stars. A corpse stood at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, grey lips smiling sadly. A blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness.... mother of dragons, bride of fire..

Notice the sequence, or rather who the surrounding visions represent - her silver might represent herself or Drogo or both, blue flower represents Jon. If we assume Jon, Dany and Tyrion are more or less the main characters...

Also - we have two precedents - the pale mare was foretold to Dany (a plague), and the Braavosi ship that stopped in Pentos, the plague in which Serra died (this is a precedent of a plague coming by ship).

Tyrion is disfigured, with another identity (a corpse), a sad smile is something that I would attribute to him, comes by ship (I am pretty sure at one occasion he was standing near the prow and talking to Penny?), and the grey lips are self explanatory. Maybe?

I'd also add:

"And the young one?"

"Killed his father."

Tyrion gave the rotting head a second look. Why, it almost looks as if those lips are smiling.

Tyrion identifies with that head having himself committed patricide.

A corpse stood at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, grey lips smiling sadly.

I just came across a nice exchange between Donal Noye and Jon Snow in AGoT that I think foreshadows Jon's being Julius Caesared:

"Yes, life," Noye said. "A long life or a short one, its up to you, Snow. The road you're walking, one of your brothers will slit your throat for you one night.

Damn. :stunned:

Archived