Moments of Foreshadowing 4

Ice Turtle

Here's an (G)old one from AGoT

“I used to start fires in the bowels of Casterly Rock and stare at the flames for hours, pretending they were

dragonfire. Sometimes I’d imagine my father burning. At other times, my sister.” Jon Snow was staring at him, a look equal parts horror and fascination. Tyrion guffawed. “Don’t look at me that way, bastard. I know your secret. You’ve dreamt the same kind of dreams.”

“No,” Jon Snow said, horrified. “I wouldn’t...”

“No? Never?” Tyrion raised an eyebrow.

*and all the A+J=T and R+L=J fans rose up in unison*

Originally posted this theory in another thread, but I think it is probably better suited to this one. Basically, I believe that Illyrio will travel to Braavos in an attempt to get the Iron Bank to back Aegon instead of Stannis. He said this about contracts in ADWD:

Beneath the gold, the bitter steel. “I had heard the Golden Company was under contract with one of the Free Cities.”

“Myr.” Illyrio smirked. “Contracts can be broken.”

“There is more coin in cheese than I knew,” said Tyrion. “How did you accomplish that?”

The magister waggled his fat fingers. “Some contracts are writ in ink, and some in blood. I say no more.”

I think this foreshadows Illyrio being unsuccessful in his attempt to persuade the Iron Bank to break its contract with Stannis because

Stannis signed his contract with the Iron Bank in blood. Illyrio seemed to be implying that blood contracts cannot be broken, so...

Tyrion signed his contract with the Second Sons in blood as well, so I think he may be with that group for the long haul (they are coming with him to Westeros). It's a tangent point, but I thought I would mention it.

Illyrio also seems to have some Braavosi imagery/connections to him. It's possible he is actually from there originally:

“So he did. I met him not long after he arrived, one step ahead of the slavers. By day he slept in the sewers, by night he prowled the rooftops like a cat. I was near as poor, a bravo in soiled silks, living by my blade. Perhaps you chanced to glimpse the statue by my pool?

He called himself a Bravo...I'm not sure if all sellswords in the Free Cities refer to themselves as Bravos, or just the sellswords who are actually from Braavos. I'm inclined to believe the latter (and therefore Illyrio is from Braavos), although I'll admit it is not definitive.

He is also described as being light on his feet like a water dancer:

AGOT; Arya

"If one Hand can die, why not a second?" replied the man with the accent and the forked yellow beard. "You have danced the dance before, my friend." He was no one Arya had ever seen before, she was certain of it. Grossly fat, yet he seemed to walk lightly, carrying his weight on the balls of his feet as a water dancer might. His rings glimmered in the torchlight, red-gold and pale silver , crusted with rubies, sapphires, slitted yellow tiger eyes. Every finger wore a ring; some had two.

So there are definitely some Braavos connections with him imo. In the original thread I posted this theory in ARYa_Nym and I were also discussing the possibility that Illyrio going to Braavos would be a good opportunity for Arya to cross paths with him and get the whole Arya vs. Varys/Illyrio plot line kick started (we went over most of the foreshadowing for that in the Moments of Foreshadowing 3 thread in case anyone wants to see it).

Nice catch with the contracts written in blood, Ser Wun Wun.

Aegon sent his sister up to Crackclaw, the Visenya. The lords had heard o' Harren's end. Being no fools, they laid their swords at her feet. The queen took them as her own men

This foreshadows the clans of Crackclaw Point supporting Dany. Crackclaw Point is south of the Vale, where Dany will land, across the Bay of Crabs. They will lay their swords at her feet when they hear of her dragons.

"'Slave-catchers would be a welcome change from turtles.' Not being an escaped slave, Tyrion need not fear being caught." ADWD pg. 183

A few short chapters later, Tyrion is put in chains by Jorah, and the widow won't help him rid himself of the chains in Volantis because at that point he is a slave.

In ASOS, Jaime Lannister holds a meeting of the Kingsguard, his first as LC. He sits at the head of the table...

"Ser Boros and Ser Meryn site on his right, leaving an empty chair between them for Ser Arys Oakheart, off in Dorne. Ser Osmund, Ser Balon, and Ser Loras took the seats to his left."

This is a bit of symbolism & foreshadowing of the changes in Jaime himself.

To his right, the side where his sword hand was, are the old Kingsguard members, the ones who served with Jaime when he was an utterly shitty person, a disgrace to the uniform.

To his left, the side remaining to him, are the new ones, the ones who have only served since he was captured, lost his sword hand, and changed his behavior.

Jaime has begun to change already, but the position he has there at the meeting is symbolic of the differences between 2 handed and 1 handed Jaime.

"There has been no king in the Vale for three hundred years," Petyr Baelish pointed out.

"The dragons came," Lord Nestor agreed.

Dragons came the last time there was a monarch in the Vale, the next monarch to arrive in the Vale, Dany, will come with dragons.

Nice work with finding the Jaime symbolism in that chapter, Pod the Impaler.

Tyrion being compared to a monkey:

Brother couples with sister in the bed of kings, and the fruit of their incest capers in his palace to the piping of a twisted little monkey demon.

Lord Tywin stared at him, unblinking. “Mummers and monkeys require applause. So did Aerys, for that matter. You did as you were commanded, and I am sure it was to the best of your ability. No one denies the part you played.”

She could see Tyrion leering, his mouth twisted into a monkey’s grin beneath the ruin of his nose.

Yollo? Yollo sounds like something you might name a monkey.

Lord Tywin was not pleased. “The gods made you a dwarf. Must you be a fool as well? You were born a lion, not a monkey.”

Your false father is a great lord, and I am just some twisted little monkey man.

“A pity. I once had a monkey who could perform all sorts of clever tricks. Your dwarf reminds me of him. Is he a gift?”

Quentyn and monkeys:

The street curved where the river met the sea, and there along the bend a number of animal sellers were clustered together, offering jeweled lizards, giant banded snakes, and agile little monkeys with striped tails and clever pink hands. “Perhaps your silver queen would like a monkey,” said Gerris.

Quentyn had no idea what Daenerys Targaryen might like.

Now, would she?

Just eat. There was wisdom in that, Quentyn supposed. “I’ll be the bull,” Arch announced.

Quentyn handed him the bull mask. “The lion for me.”

“Which makes a monkey out of me.” Gerris pressed the ape mask to his face.

Bull, lion and monkey are stealing a dragon. I'm sure someone could make a good joke about it, but it still could be a foreshadowing. Though the bull seems random.

And of course Victarion and monkeys:

A monkey on the mast above howled derision, almost as if it could taste his frustration. Filthy, noisy beast. He could send a man up after it, but the monkeys seemed to like that game and had proved themselves more agile than his crew. The howls rang in his ears, though, and made the throbbing in his hand seem worse.

The monkeys, though … the monkeys were a plague. Victarion had forbidden his men to bring any of the demonic creatures aboard ship, yet somehow half his fleet was now infested with them, even his own Iron Victory. He could see some now, swinging from spar to spar and ship to ship. Would that I had a crossbow.

Even the monkeys were amused. They chattered overhead, and one flung down a handful of his own shit to spatter on the boards.Victarion Greyjoy mistrusted laughter. The sound of it always left him with the uneasy feeling that he was the butt of some jape he did not understand. Euron Crow’s Eye had oft made mock of him when they were boys. So had Aeron, before he had become the Damphair. Their mockery oft came disguised as praise, and sometimes Victarion had not even realized he was being mocked. Not until he heard the laughter. Then came the anger, boiling up in the back of his throat until he was like to choke upon the taste. That was how he felt about the monkeys. Their antics never brought so much as a smile to the captain’s face, though his crew would roar and hoot and whistle.

Even the monkeys did not seem to like this wizard. They leapt from line to line overhead, screaming.

Later singing was heard, a strange high wailing song in a tongue the maester said was High Valyrian. That was when the monkeys left the ship, screeching as they leapt into the water.

One doesn't need to be a greenseer to know that Vic and Tyrion won't like each other, but I found Victarion's inability to get rid of monkeys rather telling. And of course there is that wish for a crossbow, which became n.1 weapon for killing Lannisters.

I think that part about the wizard is interesting too. Tyrion met Mogorro already, but that doesn't mean that someone with powerful magic won't be a reason for Tyrion leaving Meereen.

Nice one Ice Turtle, I would also addthat the crossbow is the weapon that Tyrion refers to using throughout ADwD. The bull would be Victarion as Theon referred to him as a bull and Victarion is often described as one. If Tyrion is the monkey, who is the lion mask? My crackpot guess would be the corsair king AKA Gerion Lannister, having been hired by the Yunkish, possibly or he comes to aid Dany in hopes of a reward.

"Only their shadows," Moqorro said. "One most of all. A tall and twisted thing with one black eye and ten long arms, sailing on a sea of blood."

"You ought to see it [Dothraki Sea] when it blooms, all dark red flowers from horizon to horizon, like a sea of blood."

"There are tales of dragons who grew so huge that they could pluck giant krakens from the seas."

Make what you want out of that one, but Victarion may go looking in the Dothraki Sea for Dany, and possibly be killed or eaten by one of Dany's dragons. It will likely be Drogon plucking Victarion from the Dothraki Sea.

ETA: Jorah had a helmet with ram's horn not bull horns.

Nice on Ice Turtle, I would also add is the weapon that Tyrion refers to using throughout ADwD. The bull would be Jorah, I would think (neck and shoulders like a bull), and we last see him wearing a bull shaped helm.

I was going to say the bull reminded me of Victarion since he too was likened to a bull in AFFC (strong like a bull, chest like a bull, etc...), but Jorah wearing the bull helm makes him more likely. Nice catch.

A bull (Jorah) and a lion/monkey (both Tyrion I would assume) trying to steal dragons...maybe Tyrion and Jorah try to steal Rhaegal and Viserion to keep them away from Victarion until Dany can return to Meereen? Would make sense imo.

The monkeys, though … the monkeys were a plague. Victarion had forbidden his men to bring any of the demonic creatures aboard ship, yet somehow half his fleet was now infested with them, even his own Iron Victory. He could see some now, swinging from spar to spar and ship to ship. Would that I had a crossbow.

I made a post a while back that got a few people speculating that Tyrion might be some sort of Greyscale carrier, patient zero for a spread of plague in Westeros. I'm still not sure if I believe it myself, but that line is certainly interesting.

Nice work by the way, Ice Turtle.

A long time ago someone possibly Tze did a post theory on the ship battle of BlackWaterBay, I am not sure which foreshadow volume its in. I loved the theory and have continued to reread the sequence of that battle applying various characters to the ship's names and the actions. With hindsight more of the ship's names have meaning now since ADWD came out.

I am now doing the same to Vicatrion's The Iron Suitor and Victarion POV in ADWD. I am still working through the ship's names so that I will say no more on, however, I have decided to post the 7 slave girls that Victarion captured.

GRRM gives descriptions of each girl taken from the slaver galley Willing Maid. My best guess as to which character fits the description. If anyone has a better character please fill free to chime in.

One had red-gold hair and freckles on her teats. Tyrion’s whore is described this way in Volantis.

One shaved herself all over. This could be Cersei who was shaved from head to toe by the women in the sept before her walk of shame.

One was brown-haired and brown-eyed, shy as a mouse. This troubles me as it could be a description of Gilley or Jeyne Poole aka “fArya”. Gilley was so afraid on the ship to Braavos and she is also afraid of men and shy. Each time Samwell looked at her onboard she was hiding under furs. Jeyne Poole also hides under fur skins at Winterfell.

One had the biggest breasts he had ever seen. This description reminds me of the Myrish woman Taena Merryweather who slept in Cersei’s bed or Jaimie’s Aunt Lady Jemma Frey, Jaimie comments on her enormous breasts.

The fifth was a little thing, with straight black hair and golden skin. Her eyes were the color of amber. Several characters fit this description. Missandrei or possibly the dusky woman with Victarion.

The sixth was white as milk, with golden rings through her nipples and her nether lips, ugh! Several characters are described as pale or white as snow or milk. Sansa, Gilley, or Melisandre have been described at various times using milk or snow as an adjective.

The seventh black as a squid’s ink. Asha Greayjoy possibly due to the squid adjective. Also the daughter of the captain of the Swan ship Cinnamon Wind Kojja Mo

Of course I will have to wait till TWOW comes out to figure out how close I came to the story line.

snip

Just wanted to say that i caught the connection between Vic and Quentin and monkeys, but was too lazy to do the leg work so you ser, are a better man than me

Another one that might have been mentioned....Arya won't let (them) hot pie and lem (small folk?) call Jon a thief (about needle). There's tons of thief foreshadowing in Jon's pov so Arya will be instrumental in helping Jon steal the throne and hold it.

Another thing that I might add is that along with the monkeys, boars were also encountered by Victarion. Does this foreshadow Tyrion taking control of the Iron Fleet when Victarion dies?

He would give half his teeth for the chance to try his axe against the Kingslayer or the Knight of Flowers.

Jaime and Loras are both members of the KG, does this hint at Victarion fighting Barristan?

Another thing that I might add is that along with the monkeys, boars were also encountered by Victarion. Does this foreshadow Tyrion taking control of the Iron Fleet when Victarion dies?

He would give half his teeth for the chance to try his axe against the Kingslayer or the Knight of Flowers.

Jaime and Loras are both members of the KG, does this hint at Victarion fighting Barristan?

Good one, any guess about the outcome? So far it's Battle axe : Kingsgurd - 1:0 (Areo vs. Arys)

Euron: "Perhaps we can fly. All of us. How will we ever know unless we leap from some tall tower?" "Do you dare to fly? Unless you take the leap you'll never know"

In Theon's last ADwD POV, he dared to leap from the walls of WF.

TWoW Theon:

He told her how he'd saved the girl, leaping form the castle wall into the snow. "We flew. Let Abel make a song of that, we flew."

ETA:

People are thinking that Theon will be executed before a weirwood so his life can be used to save Jon's, but let's not forget the name of Asha's last POV "The Sacrifice", so it could be her life that is used to save Jon when she dies in the Battle of Ice.

Not quite foreshadowing but something interesting I noticed while doing an Eddard re-read. Ned at one point mentions a teaching that Jon Arryn gave to him and Robert, that a King needs a booming command voice. I just thought it was cool that Ned in return gives that same teaching to Jon who remarks on it much later when he is taking command of the Wall.

You know, that contracts written in blood thing is also excellent Blackfyre foreshadowing, in fact it's damn close to an outright admission.

And bloody good catch there with the women Lady Arya's Song, the description does seem just a little bit too detailed to be insignificant. Let's hope the rent boys Vic kills for being "unnatural creatures" don't foreshadow Satin's fate

In ADWD Chapter 28, Melisandre told Jon:

"I have seen your sister in my fires, fleeing from this marriage they have made for her. Coming here, to you. A girl in grey on a dying horse".

Jon thought the girl was Arya, and in the later chapters it turned out to be Alys Karstark. However,Alys appeared in a black cloak while in the fire was "a girl in grey". Usually in predicts the colors have their symbolism. Here, not only Alys clothing wasn't grey, but the color for House Karstarks wasn't grey. Grey is the color for House Stark of Winterfell. Don't forget that besides Arya, Jon has the other sister, who was in Vale and Littlefinger just arranged her marriage with Harry the Heir. In Littlefinger's plan, Sansa would "come out with her long auburn hair, clad in a maiden’s cloak of white and grey with a direwolf emblazoned on the back".

In ADWD Chapter 28, Melisandre told Jon:

"I have seen your sister in my fires, fleeing from this marriage they have made for her. Coming here, to you. A girl in grey on a dying horse".

Jon thought the girl was Arya, and in the later chapters it turned out to be Alys Karstark. However,Alys appeared in a black cloak while in the fire was "a girl in grey". Usually in predicts the colors have their symbolism. Here, not only Alys clothing wasn't grey, but the color for House Karstarks wasn't grey. Grey is the color for House Stark of Winterfell. Don't forget that besides Arya, Jon has the other sister, who was in Vale and Littlefinger just arranged her marriage with Harry the Heir. In Littlefinger's plan, Sansa would "come out with her long auburn hair, clad in a maiden’s cloak of white and grey with a direwolf emblazoned on the back".

This is really good and I always assumed this too while reading ADWD and when there were no Sansa chapters I got confused hah. And I'd agree we're still waiting to see Sansa flee her wedding and come to the wall in search for who she thinks is her only family left Jon.

Archived