Ramsey's sick game

Bad Hound!

There's no way Ramsay hasn't anticipated someone following the stream or trying to find help/civilization. He will track you to whatever place you've gone and demand they give you up. Anyone that houses you is as dead as you are. Your only hope is finding some way to Winterfell or someone as loyal/trustworthy.

Your only hope is finding some way to Winterfell or someone as loyal/trustworthy.

Winterfell is too far surely. Looking at the maps, there isn't anything close by. Hornwood to the South seems closest but even that seems really far, over 100 kms, I'd guess. To the West you could follow the Weeping River and then to the mountains separating the Dreadfort to Winterfell, but there's no chance of reaching Winterfell within a few days.

I agree that Ramsay must be feeling pretty confident he'll find you. But you have one shot. It's your life so you've got to have a go.

A tree? Surely the dogs would smell you even if they can't reach you.

A river? Too cold

A horse? Probably can't steal one.

I still reckon distance is the best bet. With 8 hours headstart, is it feasible? Assuming Ramsay wastes as much time picking up your scent as you do initially wondering what to do and maybe go through the local village trying (and failing) to steal a horse, then your 8 hours buy you, say, 60 kms (being generous). Then it's you against the horse. Now bearing in mind that Ramsay will be at most travelling at 20 km/hr average (that's a solid canter for a horse, in theory you can't have the horse doing this for hours on end), against your 8 km/hr, it means in theory you will be caught at exactly the 5 hour mark (so 5 hours after Ramsay's dogs have picked up your scent for sure).

I think it's worth a punt, especially if you're confident you can run for hours on decent terrain - how long would it take him to give up?

I'd be worried about my feet, though.

If you retrace your steps for half a mile, dig a hole and bury yourself you could stay there until you freeze to death. Crappy way to go, but the thought of him never finding your body and gnashing his teeth at the thought of you getting away is at least a comfort. If it's warm enough you might even live and make your real escape a few days later.

In all seriousness, though - hard to answer the question without knowing the terrain. If it is hilly, you could get yourself into places that wouldn't be easily accessible by horses.

Finding a cave and hiding in it might not be too bad of an option. Tucking yourself into an area where you could lay a pitfall of some sort, or tucking into a gap between some rocks and fashioning a spear of some sort where horses can't get to you come to mind.

Much depends on how much of a headstart you get, but I somehow doubt they'd tell you.

Give me hillbilly country and I'd get hard to find real quick.

Dive in to a few rivers to wash of scent and confuse the dogs, then put as much distance between you and the Dreadfort as possible. First thing I'd do though is find some sort of thing that could be used to kill myself just in case Ramsay catches up. That way, even if you don't escape his clutches, you at least can give yourself a quick death.

If you retrace your steps for half a mile, dig a hole and bury yourself you could stay there until you freeze to death. Crappy way to go, but the thought of him never finding your body and gnashing his teeth at the thought of you getting away is at least a comfort. If it's warm enough you might even live and make your real escape a few days later.

You think like me. :agree:

get a good rock, break it, find a sharp bit, make a spear. climb a tree and backtrack over your trail. try to ambush him or one of his cronies as they pass under you. your going to die either way, best go out with blood on your hands. you would need a degree of wilderness skills but not a lot. only problem is being naked, assuming you are the average westerosi, means you would shine like a beacon, particularly as a woman (not getting outside much)(assuming high birth) so you would have to cam yourself with mud or something. not a great bet, but still, better than dying running or being raped and killed or eaten by his dogs, i would imagine, can't really say, as a guy, maybe the mentality is different

Right, so Ramsey, bastard son of Roose Bolton used to get a girl naked, and "release" her in the forest around the Dreadfort and give her the night to escape before he hunts her with his dogs.

Made me think - what would a clever (and physically fit, one hopes) girl do to give herself the best chance of escaping?

I think any woman reading about Ramsay's hunts would immediately start wondering this, and it is mentioned that enough village girls have escaped so that the district knows about his activities. Knowing the environs and not wasting any time getting lost would be an advantage. Personally I would favor some sort of doubling back, setting fire to the kennels and killing or injuring the hounds, letting all the horses run away in terror, and even hanging around to see if I could kill Ramsay when he emerged to investigate - but that's for a Ninja not the average woman... although Arya might possibly have a shot

Yes, it's horrible but I think finding someone who can help you in exchange for sex would be a stroke of luck. While sitting safely in front of computer I think it's hard to understand for us what person in mortal fear is capable of.

Ahem you are not in a good position to 'exchange' anything, you are in a good position to be raped and then given back to Ramsay.

But if hunter was a good person he might at least give you a tip about the best direction to take - if you could trust it.

i can swim, so if i could find a river, it might work to do the bait and switch for a while, to make it seem like i'm really heading upstream. then get into the water, maybe with a branch for flotation, and float down. if i don't get snagged by a waterlogged tree, rock, or whatever else, it would be faster travel than running. i have no idea what the terrain is like, or even where i'd reach the border of Bolton lands. if i actually make it to a town i can always try to get out. if the season is right, i might not get hypothermia. the odds are highly unlikely i'll make it, but they are anyway, so i'd take my chances in the water.

unless i think it would be better to hide right under his nose until he goes out hunting. provided he won't track me to some corner of the root cellar, etc., first.

maybe i should just offer him a dvd of the Hunger Games.

Ahem you are not in a good position to 'exchange' anything, you are in a good position to be raped and then given back to Ramsay.

Certainly, but average abuser (if he doesn't know you're running away from his lord) would seem almost nothing compared to Ramsey, so I think ending up in hands of other men is lesser of evils.

Archived