Edmure Tully casting - all wrong

The Dragon King

I dont see Tobias Menzies as a Tully at all, maybe a Frey but definitely not a Tully.

http://winteriscoming.net/images/tobias-menzies.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-KKryfxKowi0/Tn1U-xeLz2I/AAAAAAAAA3o/gY-z7twayuk/s1600/toby923.jpg

OTOH, Toby Stevens reeks of being a Tully, he very much looks like he shares blood with Robb and Cat.

In terms of looks he's not perfect, although he has the right combination of earthiness and haughtiness in my view, plus he looks great in full costume. However, you have to bear in mind acting talent as well, and anyone who has seen Rome will tell you what a good actor this guy is. With Toby Stephens my viewing of his work is limited admittedly, however I'm watching Die Another Day as I type this and have to wonder whether he's truly a good enough actor to pull off Edmure.

So in terms of looks, yes they could perhaps have found a better choice, but in terms of performance they have a great Edmure, and ultimately it's the acting that matters in a TV show.

Yeah me too, what ya talking bout?

When I look at Ned and Benjen I thought they looked similar enough to buy them being brothers, I thought the same thing with Cat and Lysa, I do NOT think that with this Edmure and either Cat or Lysa. I've seen Tobias Menzies in Rome and agree that he's a good actor but I don't buy him as Edmure. As I've said, if you look at Toby Stevens you could easily buy that him and Robb are related, same with Cat, and I also think Stevens is a good actor, I think he'd have been a better choice than Menzies.

Here's my thing with Tobias Menzies as Edmure - yeah, he's not what I imagined at all. I pictured Edmure being well, obviously red haired, with a full beard/moustache, a more muscular build and a generally more rugged face...David Wenham seems to be a pretty generic choice for any red headed male fantasy character casting but that's honestly closer to how I imagined Edmure.

However...have you seen most pictures of Tobias Menzies, he seems to have this perpetual expression of "derp" that's so perfect for Edmure it makes me forget the physical differences he has from the book description. I actually think I can get used to him just for that expression.

I picture some of you having thrown tantrums christmas morning when you didn't get enough presents.

:agree: I think ppl forget that Edmure is Cats YOUNGER brother, I think that Tobias fits that bill mannerism wise, plus I jst cant wait for this little exchange...

Edmure:“Ah, as it happened, I was not in the castle. I’d crossed the Tumblestone to, ah...”

Cat:“You were whoring or wenching. Get on with the tale.”

Edmure’s cheeks flamed as red as his beard. “It was the hour before dawn, and I was only then returning. When Long Lew saw my boat and recognized me, he finally thought to wonder who was standing below barking commands, and raised a cry.”

However...have you seen most pictures of Tobias Menzies, he seems to have this perpetual expression of "derp" that's so perfect for Edmure it makes me forget the physical differences he has from the book description. I actually think I can get used to him just for that expression.

I think Tobias Menzies pulls of the cluelessness i associate with Edmure quite well from the photos.

Exactly, that's what I like about him as Edmure, other than the great acting he's capable of, of course. He can play "derp" pretty well :P

He was excellent in Rome, any sort of situation where they add more great actors from Rome is a good move by me (fingers crossed James Purefoy is involved in GoT some day somehow). I personally think it's more important to choose the most talented actor than them necessarily looking precisely like the character's described in the book, obviously there have to be some standards so they're not totally unrecognizable and ridiculous but I'd put more weight in finding a talented actor (except with say, a role like the Mountain That Rides where appearance is everything)

Both Menezies and Stevens are great, and either of them could play Edmure. But if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick Menzies. He was great in Rome, and I'm confident he'll be great in Game of Thrones as well.

And let's not dismiss anyone before seeing them in action. :)

He was excellent in Rome, any sort of situation where they add more great actors from Rome is a good move by me (fingers crossed James Purefoy is involved in GoT some day somehow).

Purefoy could play either Oberyn or Euron.

In my opinion, Mads Mikkelsen is the perfect Euron, but Purefoy is a close second. I think he'd be great in that role, or any other role, for that matter. Just get him on the show! :D

Also, Ray Stevenson will play Victarion. It is known. HBO likes working with actors they've worked before, as evidenced by their casting of Tobias Menzies and their offer to Dominic West. I'm pretty sure he's on their shortlist for Vic. At least, I hope so. :P

In my opinion, Mads Mikkelsen is the perfect Euron, but Purefoy is a close second. I think he'd be great in that role, or any other role, for that matter. Just get him on the show! :D

I think Mads is out of the picture. He's just taken on a long term commitment, taking on the title role in NBC's Hannibal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannibal_(TV_series)

Of course, there is the possibility that the show will be cancelled, or that he could guest star, but it seems unlikely

I think James Purefoy is out to, seeing how he has a role in The Following.

I think Mads is out of the picture. He's just taken on a long term commitment, taking on the title role in NBC's Hannibal

http://en.wikipedia....ibal_(TV_series)

Of course, there is the possibility that the show will be cancelled, or that he could guest star, but it seems unlikely

I think James Purefoy is out to, seeing how he has a role in The Following.

Mark my words, The Following will be dead by the time they get to casting Oberyn. I don't think it'll be renewed for a second season, and even if it is, I doubt Purefoy's character will be in it. That would be a really long stretch for a show like this.

I think Madds could juggle two roles. Euron doesn't appear too often in the books, and I doubt they would expand his role too much.

Archived