Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lady Tierneigh

So how big was Balerion the Black Dread really?

115 posts in this topic

We're told his jaws were large enough to swallow a mammoth whole, but how big do you think that really translates to? A 747? Larger? Smaller?

A lot of the art I have seen doesn't seem to capture it, in my opinion.

Depends on a jaw that can be unhinged I suppose. If Balerion can eat like a snake it could be possible that he was big but not that big

Not big enough that Aegon was confident he could defeat the North with Balerion alone

Big enough for Torrhen to bend the knee.

Small enough that Torrhen was willing to war against him and only knelt when he saw 3 dragons instead of one

He could eat a large elephant hole, so pretty friggin big. Drogon's wings are 20 feet tip to tip and he can't even eat a sheep whole. So 10-15 times his size at least. 200-400 feet so he was huge. Dany has baby Dragons, Dorgon is just large enough to ride. So Drogon is just strong enough to carry Dany and Balarion could fly around with a Mamoth in his belly. Dany's dragons suck.

Small enough that Torrhen was willing to war against him and only knelt when he saw 3 dragons instead of one

Where in the world do you get that from?

About the size of a small cat. "Black Dread" was just an affectionate and ironic nickname.

his teeth were the size of swords, I am guessing, snout to tail tip - 200 feet. Wingspan 220-250 feet. Huge.

About the size of a small cat. "Black Dread" was just an affectionate and ironic nickname.

Oh, you card!

his teeth were the size of swords, I am guessing, snout to tail tip - 200 feet. Wingspan 220-250 feet. Huge.

So, 747 would be right in there. One big-ass mofo.

Where in the world do you get that from?

The part of the series which explains that, despite dragons razing castles and burning armies, Torrhen marched anyway and only bent the knee when dragons burnt a small fraction of his army.

Seems pretty clear to me the Northmen werent too fussed about facing a single dragon, 747 sized or not. I choose to assume Balerions size is overstated anyway. I mean, can you imagine how much one dragon that large would eat, nevermind three of them?

Slightly smaller than Tormund's member.

And they both spit fire, that's what he gets for sleeping around.

I mean, can you imagine how much one dragon that large would eat, nevermind three of them?

Maybe not as much as you might think. Dragons are meat-eaters, and would be top predators. Meat is pretty calorically dense, so meat-eaters don't need to eat as often or consume as much volume as herbivores.

He could eat a large elephant hole, so pretty friggin big. Drogon's wings are 20 feet tip to tip and he can't even eat a sheep whole. So 10-15 times his size at least. 200-400 feet so he was huge. Dany has baby Dragons, Dorgon is just large enough to ride. So Drogon is just strong enough to carry Dany and Balarion could fly around with a Mamoth in his belly. Dany's dragons suck.

I don't think that is quite right. Such a small dragon would hardly fit with the arena scene in ADWD.

I don't think that is quite right. Such a small dragon would hardly fit with the arena scene in ADWD.

She actually states the size 20 feet from tip to tip. A year ago they were the size of dogs. Her own words, that's how Big Drogon is.

Irri; It is known.