Who is Archmaester Walgrave?

Loon Lord

This is a small excerpt from the AFfC prologue, things Pate found inside Archmaester Walgrave's safe

Inside, Pate had found a bag of silver stags, a lock of yellow hair tied up in a ribbon, a painted miniature of a woman who resembled Walgrave (even to her mustache), and a knight’s gauntlet made of lobstered steel. The gauntlet had belonged to a prince, Walgrave claimed, though he could no longer seem to recall which one.

Who is this guy? I doubt he is anyone important to the plot but this could still be interesting

Inside, Pate had found a bag of silver stags, a lock of yellow hair tied up in a ribbon, a painted miniature of a woman who resembled Walgrave (even to her mustache), and a knight’s gauntlet made of lobstered steel. The gauntlet had belonged to a prince, Walgrave claimed, though he could no longer seem to recall which one.

Funny I was reading ACoK last night and in Arya IV they find the corpse of a soldier floating in the a stream, Yoren tells them to search it for anything useful.

One of the things they find is a lock of yellow hair tied up with a ribbon. Significant? I doubt it but I wouldn't have thought anymore of it unless I had read this thread a couple of hours earlier.

Probably just one of Martins weird memes.

Yellow hair sounds like a Lannister, the Mustache like a Florent. The knight's gauntlet is interesting too - Rhaegar might have been the one to wear it, but Duncan the Small is another possibility. Or even Baelor Breakspear?

I do think we'll get some additional backstory on this, although I can't fit it into the story yet. I also don't think we're supposed to do so.

• 6 months later...

Yellow hair sounds like a Lannister, the Mustache like a Florent. The knight's gauntlet is interesting too - Rhaegar might have been the one to wear it, but Duncan the Small is another possibility. Or even Baelor Breakspear?

I do think we'll get some additional backstory on this, although I can't fit it into the story yet. I also don't think we're supposed to do so.

Yep I think that it might be Baelor's too. If so Walgrave's father or even Walgrave himself must have been at Ashford during the events of the Hedge Knight. So maybe walgrave is Raymun Fossoway's bastard son? I'll have to read the Hedge Knight again maybe, but I think that if i read that and then read the next Song book I should be able to piece together who Walgrave is.

Archived