The Battle of Meereen vs the Siege of Winterfell

WardenOfTheNorth

I'm looking forward to Winterfell more, but I am interested in Meereen (sp?). Will Marwyn the Mage meet Daenerys elsewhere? Will he show up in the middle of all hell breaking lose?

But I want to see the truth behind the pink letter, who else shows up at Winterfell and I so want to see Roose & Ramsay die.

Stannis could lose. Everyone at Winter fell could die. I can't see Theon surviving the series.

Stannis could do everything "right" and just not pull it off.

For Mereen, I'm concerned about Jorah, suspect Barristan may die too, and figure there may be a rather epic falling-out amoung the victors.

The Esteros crew could do everything "wrong" and I'm not worried that they won't be showing up to the last book in some kind of order.

I'm looking forward to the Siege of Winterfell and the Battle of Meereen more than any other storyline right now, but Winterfell probably has the upper hand. I believe that Stannis will win, but I have no idea in which manner it will happen, since the Pink Letter seem to have some truth in it. How exactly will it play out? Will the Frey's and Bolton's be utterly destroyed or will Roose and Ramsay manage to flee? Which side will the Manderlys, Umbers, Lockes, Ryswells, Dustins, Karstarks (though there are hints in a spoiler chapter), and others pick? How much of the GNC is true and will the Northmen act on it during the battle? What will the fallout be on the rest of the North? What will happen to Theon, Asha and other characters I care about? Etc, etc...

The Battle of Meereen looks like it be fun thoughm judging by spoiler chapters. I have always believed that Daenerys forces will prevail, but I have no idea in which manner, since so many of the forces are of questionable loyalty. Also, I get a greater sense of chaos and conflux from Meereen than I do from Winterfell. Despite the great uncertainty surrounding Winterfell, it still feels relatively easy to speculate about, both when it comes to the battle and the fallout. We know Westeros and how it's inhabitants think. Not so with Meereen, when we take into account all the differing factions, their loyalties and attitudes towards eachother: Unsullied, Brazen Beast, Freedmen companies, Stormcrows, Second Sons, Company of the Cat, Windblown, Long Lances, Yunkai'i, Meereenese, legions of New Ghis, Quertheen, Tolosi, Elyrians, Dothraki, Volantese, Ironborn, and perhaps morst of all the Dragons. Tyrion, Daenerys, Victarion and Barristan will have a great deal to handle afterwards, considering the chaos the battle will cause. I can't predict it, which makes it very fun. And alot of named people will die, something I'm not sure will happen at Winterfell.

Looking at some of these replies, I'm starting to wonder if the Meereen battle is as locked up as so many people seem to think (including, yes, me).

We know from one of the Barristan chapters that a horn blow is the signal to retreat, so imagine the confusion if Victarion shows up and blows a horn.

I dunno, the more I think about it, the more I wonder if that's one that's going to defy expectations. I think casual readers might be expecting Stannis to lose but Barristan to win, so it'd be interesting if that were flipped. Also, Dany isn't there, so if the city falls, she personally won't be there to be killed, and the dragons can get away too (dragons that are as likely to roast her own troops as the enemy's). And all Victarion needs to do is get away with a few ships. I've seen the suggestion that Meereen's knot can be overcome by Dany herself coming back to burn it down, but it could just as easily come from the city falling in her absence. I dunno, something to think about. It'd be funny if Meereen were the knock-you-on-your-ass battle while the Winterfell one was fairly straightforward. The use of so many POVs around the Meereen battle (Victarion, Tyrion and Barristan so far) makes me wonder too if something will happen that relies on different perspectives and/or death.

That seems like a possibility.

I hope Stannis will win the battle,but it's shameful that his men would probably burn all the Winterfell trees.The Boltons are monsters,but they would never go against the old gods.

Stannis is clever enough to not burn the WInterfell godswood, he didn't burn any men on the march (except for those cannibals) because he knew it would piss off the Northerners.

Much more interested in the battle at Meereen given it will likely be our first glimpse of a Dothraki khalasaar and dragons on an actual battlefield. Not to mention Victarion and Barristan possibly fighting side by side....pure badass is all that comes to mind.

Winterfell by far. If Stannis takes Winterfell from the Boltons/Freys that'll be HUGE for him. Especially if he can somehow find a Stark to rule it.

I just think it's the more important event of the two.

So, let's say Davos brings Rickon in to Winterfell after the battle (also assuming Stannis has won control of WF). Rickon is somewhere around 8 years old (please someone correct me if I'm wrong about that) or at least young enough to need some sort of guidance. Who should Stannis appoint to serve as regent (for want of a better term)? Davos? Or will Stannis dig in to WF for the winter?

Archived