Jamie's reaction to Aegon

Valyria's Finest

I am interested in exploring Jamie's reaction to Aegon, as I think there is alot there, and alot of potential plot developments later on, assuming Aegon continues to succeed.

Jamie's POV chapters from ASOS and AFFC indicate to me that he had a good relationship with Rhaegar and feels bad about letting him down during the Sack of King's Landing.

I am interested in what you guys think about how he will react or what he would think about Aegon being alive and attempting to ascend to the Iron Throne, which for all intents and purposes should have been his Rhaegar's.

He would fly. He would know that even if Aegon wasn't "mad king", his LC career is at end and that Aegon would have lot of people advising him to off his granddad's killer.

OTOH "New" Jaime might come to court if summoned, and stand trial for it - revealing the reason of kinslaying. He would have some evidence to back it up (wildfire stash found when Tyrion prepared the Blackwater trap), so he MAY save his neck for exile, but he would be stripped of ranks and titles. Maybe he'd have to take the Black...

No, neither Aegon nor Dany are good news from Jaime. Stannis might actually let him keep the post and chop off his member :P

I think Jaime thought in his head that he was going to reveal the truth about Mycella and Tommen. I could see him then helping Aegon out, as he already hates his sister.

Here's the quote.

"

He thought of Myrcella. I will need to tell her too. The Dornishmen might not like that. Doran Martell had betrothed her to his son in the belief that she was Robert’s blood. Knots and tangles, Jaime thought, wishing he could cut through all of it with one swift stroke of his sword.

"

I think he'll want to see this son of Rhaegar for himself. And if he's convinced that Aegon is truly Rhaegar's son.. who knows, maybe he'll even switch sides. Jaime is never shown to be that fond of Tommen anyways, and he almost despises Cersei now

We may never get Jamie's reaction to Aegon. :drunk:

He would most likely assume that he is a fake(like almost everyone) but if he learns that Connington is riding with him, then.....

He would be more inclined to believe his survival and I doubt that it would have any effect on his loyalties to anyone, considering how easily he abandoned the crown for Sansa.

It would take a long time for news of Aegon's return to reach Jaime, who is somewhere deep in the Riverlands. I imagine by that time, we, and everyone in Westeros, will know whether or not Aegon is legitimate. So, I think Jaime's reaction depends on that.

If he's proven to be Rhaeghar's son, he'll want to meet him. Even though him switching sides is a long shot, it's not all that impossible. He dislikes Cersei, and he'd probably want to keep Tommen and Myrcella alive, even though he doesn't care for them much.

I have to be a killjoy and ask why exactly people think Jaime will survive? The best characters seem to lack the magic needed to keep them alive when death seems obvious.

Maybe he'll survive, maybe he won't. We're just speculating. That's what this forum is for. :P

If you want to discuss Jaime's odds of survival, you should make a new thread about it. :)

Jaime will join Aegon, declare Cersei's children bastards in the sights of gods and men, and Aegon will pardon him and name him a member of his Kingsguard. This could very well be one of the reasons why Dany and Tyrion will have their difficulties teaing up with Aegon.

Most of Jaime's chapters in the last books had him thinking about the whole Rhaegar issue. The man desperately craves to apologize to Rhaegar's shadow.

I just have to say, everyone seems to think that Jamie is not fond of his children and I believe that this assumption is wrong. I think he cares deeply, they are his flesh and blood, his creations he made with Cersei (whom he may not be fond of now but his previous love and devotion can not be questioned). He literally could not take a special interest in the children for fear of people asking questions, making assumptions. I do believe that he grew to dislike Joff, who didn't. But Tommen and Myrcella are IMO the only Lannisters still alive that actually seem to be good people with good hearts.

I am definitely one of those people who hated, then grew to love Jamie so I may have a biased opinion, but I think it's unfair that people assume he doesn't like or care for his children. I think in POV's to come we will find out such.

He may care for them, but he will tell the truth. In fact, that he is willing to do this (and thus willing to bring down 'King Tommen' along with Cersei) may be the one thing that's going to convince Catelyn not to kill him.

Aegon will be the king Jaime chooses. He may become the second Kingmaker after Criston Cole. This whole topic was not brought up in AFfC and ADwD for nothing.

Jaime will join Aegon, declare Cersei's children bastards in the sights of gods and men, and Aegon will pardon him and name him a member of his Kingsguard. This could very well be one of the reasons why Dany and Tyrion will have their difficulties teaing up with Aegon.

Most of Jaime's chapters in the last books had him thinking about the whole Rhaegar issue. The man desperately craves to apologize to Rhaegar's shadow.

Unless GRRM has pulled the wool over everyones eyes he will get a chance to in person very shortly and will hear from Rhaegar wether Aegon is real or not. It would be nice to have Jaime's redemption themed thoughts send him to Aegon and end up helping find a ruler who could finally reunify the realm; but I heard an interview GRRM said that he has to kill off PoV characters so I don't think he is for over one more PoV chapter.....

Going off of this, we know that Jamie loathes being remembered as "the Kingslayer", and to some degree fantasizes about being remembered as "Goldenhand the Just". This, combined with being haunted by Rhaegar's shadow, makes me inclined to believe that if and when Jamie catches wind of Aegon, he will seek him and attempt to redeem himself.

The first Dance of Dragons already strangely resembles the second. A dwarf called Mushroom tells the history from Rhaenyra's perspective (i.e. Tyrion will be in Dany's camp), and the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard made Aegon II King on the Iron Throne. That's going to be Jaime's role. He will unmake the false Baratheon claimants and thus delivering the Iron Throne and the kingship to the only claimant left in the South: Aegon VI. Targaryen.

The first Dance of Dragons already strangely resembles the second. A dwarf called Mushroom tells the history from Rhaenyra's perspective (i.e. Tyrion will be in Dany's camp), and the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard made Aegon II King on the Iron Throne. That's going to be Jaime's role. He will unmake the false Baratheon claimants and thus delivering the Iron Throne and the kingship to the only claimant left in the South: Aegon VI. Targaryen.

:agree: . But I think that jaime won`t just unmake Tommen, he`ll do that in order to keep him safe. I can see Jaime helping Aegon in exchange for Tommen and Myrcella`s lives. As for Stannis, let we just hope he`ll come to his senses and bend his knee.

I like this idea, however I think Tommen will die before Jamie reaches that position. Once Tommen dies and Myrcella is crowned, then I could this series of events unfolding- because I believe many would call Myrcella's right to rule into question, and by then Aegon will have alot more clout, and it would be that much easier for Jamie to deliver the Iron Throne to Aegon, the sixth of his name.

Jaime is already Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. Yes, Tommen's Kingsguard, but it will be Aegon's if Aegon becomes king. If Jaime makes amends to Aegon, if he joins him and proclaims Tommen and Myrcella his bastards in the sight of gods and men, King Aegon most definitely will be merciful. He will spare the lives of Jaime's children (but this does not necessarily mean that they will survive/are not in danger), and may even keep him in his Kingsguard.

Alternatively he could make him his Lord of Casterly Rock, thus putting Jaime once more at odds with Tyrion should he ever return.

Jaime is already Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. Yes, Tommen's Kingsguard, but it will be Aegon's if Aegon becomes king. If Jaime makes amends to Aegon, if he joins him and proclaims Tommen and Myrcella his bastards in the sight of gods and men, King Aegon most definitely will be merciful. He will spare the lives of Jaime's children (but this does not necessarily mean that they will survive/are not in danger), and may even keep him in his Kingsguard.

Jamie has often lamented about the composition of Tommen's kingsguard. With Jon Conningtion emphasizing the importance of selecting worthy members for Aegon's kingsguard, that might also be attractive to Jaime. A kingsguard consisting of Jaime, Rolly Duckfield, possibly Barristan, and then other great knights of Westeros would make Jaime feel pretty good I would think.

Archived