Jamie's reaction to Aegon

Valyria's Finest

My guess is that if Jaime is not going to survive his meeting with Catelyn, GRRM would have put this final Jaime chapter into ADwD. Why not kill him there? It would have been stupid to kill him in his first TWoW chapter.

As to his relationship with his children:

When GRRM decided to have Jaime leave KL and Tommen in AFfC he made sure that Jaime would not become the stalwart servant to his son and king. Tommen (and Myrcella, if she is ever crowned) are nothing but placeholders. Aegon changes the game. They won't remain figureheads until Dany returns, they will fall much sooner. And the return of Rhaegar's son actually gives Jaime the pretext and the opportunity to break completely with his family and try to become Arthur Dayne instead of the Smiling Knight. His children don't mean all that much to him. He never had the chance to bond with them, and he has much stronger issues to deal with at the core of his character.

We should also keep in mind that Jaime might also desperately want the chance to apologize to Elia and her children. He did not fulfill his duty to her or her children, either. He will grasp the straw of a second chance. The fact that Aegon is only Aerys' grandson, and that Jon Connington most likely had little love for Aerys makes it quite likely that they will accept Jaime if he promises to end the coming war before it began...

This. He can redeem and reinvent himself in one fell swoop this way. If he wants to be remembered as Goldenhand the Just, this would be a good way to start, I think.

I rather doubt he'll join Aegon. He may regret what happend to Rhaegars children but he's not stupid enough to think that people will forgive him for slaying Aerys.

If he goes to Aegon. At the best he stands trial and at the worst hes executed for his crimes (Kingslaying and treason x2)

this. The biggest obstacle to this plan is that I don't believe for a second Aegon will ever be able to forgive the man who killed his grandfather as a member of his KG.

There's a better chance of him allying himself with Stannis as far as i'm concerned.

I just have to say, everyone seems to think that Jamie is not fond of his children and I believe that this assumption is wrong. I think he cares deeply, they are his flesh and blood, his creations he made with Cersei (whom he may not be fond of now but his previous love and devotion can not be questioned). He literally could not take a special interest in the children for fear of people asking questions, making assumptions. I do believe that he grew to dislike Joff, who didn't. But Tommen and Myrcella are IMO the only Lannisters still alive that actually seem to be good people with good hearts.

I am definitely one of those people who hated, then grew to love Jamie so I may have a biased opinion, but I think it's unfair that people assume he doesn't like or care for his children. I think in POV's to come we will find out such.

Completely agree.

There's a better chance of him allying himself with Stannis as far as i'm concerned.

Wow. Never in a million posts was this ever brought up. Stannis emerges from the fray, readies his host to...... sail? It'd have to be sail at this piont and not ride, being winter and all. So if Stan's host had moved south in autumn on horseback they might have passed through the neighborhood of BWB and met up with Jaime. As it is, the BWB with Jaime in tow would have to head to Winterfell to meet up with the Stans, and then all could head to White Harbor to set sail and rejoin the southern conflict......... but that leaves the job of defending the wall unfinished. Poops and shards.

I don't know if I've ever really imagined Jaime trying to help Aegon claim the throne before. I think that would surprise me and like has already been mentioned I can only see him offering to admit that Tommen and Myrcella are his in order to save their lives. But I do think it's interesting that people mentioned the first dance of the dragons because Jaime read about Ser Tristan Cole in AFFC and Barristan Selmy thinks about the worst of the Lord Commanders of the Kingsguard being the ones who played the game of thrones. I always wondered if that was maybe a hint that both Barristan and Jaime were going to play at being kingmakers (or queeenmakers) in the future.

I don't see Jaime striking an alliance with any king other than his son. His primary concern at present is to finish his business in the Riverlands and return to protect his son, as either his Kingsguard or his father. At no point does allying himself with either Stannis or Aegon achieve this.

What, why would Jamie join Aegon the mummers dragon? Jamie had nothign to do with what happened to Rhaegar's children and Elia, and killing the Mad King was his finest act. I don't think Jamie will give a rats ass about Aegon. He is kind of busy at the moment, and has his own plot and story to deal with.

I have to be a killjoy and ask why exactly people think Jaime will survive? The best characters seem to lack the magic needed to keep them alive when death seems obvious.

According to the verse in book Jaime had been missing for 2-3 months near the end of Dance and there was no report of his body being found. Maybe Stoneheart killed him and just burned him or something but I don't think so, if she killed him she would want his whole family to know. She's using him for something.

i dont think news of aegon will change any loyalties he has to tommen......despite all that has happened jaime will die fighting for the lannister cause if it comes to it ...... this just sums up jaime to me as a lannister 1st guy even in ADWD

"Unjustly, Jaime thought. It was his child he feared for. He knew whose son I am, better than mine

own aunt. “

Jaime's whole arc from the beginning of ASoS was to alienate him from his family and the Lannister cause. First he lost his hand, and thus his identity as a warrior, then he lost the love to his sister, and thus the heart that bound him to the Lannister cause. Then he lost his father and his brother, and rejected the power those accidents delivered to him. He could have become Tommen's Hand and Lord Regent. He could have put Cersei back into her place.

By removing Jaime from the events surrounding Cersei's downfall GRRM ensured that Jaime would not be caught up in it, he would not be forced to step in the void Cersei and Kevan left, thus ensuring that Jaime could team up with somebody else. The only reason why Catelyn may let live Jaime is if he promises to deal with his sister and her children. And he will do that. He has already decided to unmake their claims. Telling Tommen the truth would eventually motivate the boy to abdicate. Tommen is a good lad, he will not pretend to be the king if he knows he is not.

Learning about Aegon will feel like redemption for Jaime. Finally he can heal the wounds he has inflicted (or failed to prevent). Jaime did not participate in the deaths of Elia and her children, but by killing Aerys he betrayed everything he stood for. How could he regain that without putting another Targaryen on the Iron Throne? If Aegon could forgive him, then his sin will be truly forgiven.

Jamie will think that Aegon is a fake, he's too jaded and cynical to believe in fairytales of returning princes, but, even if he believed that Aegon is the real deal, Jamie can't do anything but to fight him. Jamie is the Kingslayer, Aegon will never forgive him even if he were to forgive everybody else.

Jamie doesn't even have the option of exiling himself and becoming a sellsword like Jon Connington and Jorah Mormont did, he's crippled and won't be a good warrior for years, and even when he learns how to fight with his left hand he will be an average fighter at best, with a horrible reputation and a ton of enemies asking for his head. Jamie can't surrender and he can't escape or hide, he has to win or die.

Neither Aegon nor Connington should care all that much about Aerys. Aerys exiled Connington, and Aegon most likely was not told fairy tales about his grandfather. Jaime knows Jon Connington. I'm not sure that he is going to believe Aegon is fake if Connington vouches for him.

Neither Aegon nor Connington should care all that much about Aerys. Aerys exiled Connington, and Aegon most likely was not told fairy tales about his grandfather. Jaime knows Jon Connington. I'm not sure that he is going to believe Aegon is fake if Connington vouches for him.

Even if JC and Aegon don't care about Aerys, they just can't afford to forgive Jamie. Jamie is the man who killed Aerys, he is a living symbol of everything the Targayren loyalist despise about Robert's Rebellion.

They can, if they want to. And they may want to, if Jaime delivers them the Iron Throne. He is going to destroy all of Cersei's dreams, is he not? That whole valonqar business does not need to be literal...

Jaime's whole arc from the beginning of ASoS was to alienate him from his family and the Lannister cause. First he lost his hand, and thus his identity as a warrior, then he lost the love to his sister, and thus the heart that bound him to the Lannister cause. Then he lost his father and his brother, and rejected the power those accidents delivered to him. He could have become Tommen's Hand and Lord Regent. He could have put Cersei back into her place.

By removing Jaime from the events surrounding Cersei's downfall GRRM ensured that Jaime would not be caught up in it, he would not be forced to step in the void Cersei and Kevan left, thus ensuring that Jaime could team up with somebody else. The only reason why Catelyn may let live Jaime is if he promises to deal with his sister and her children. And he will do that. He has already decided to unmake their claims. Telling Tommen the truth would eventually motivate the boy to abdicate. Tommen is a good lad, he will not pretend to be the king if he knows he is not.

Learning about Aegon will feel like redemption for Jaime. Finally he can heal the wounds he has inflicted (or failed to prevent). Jaime did not participate in the deaths of Elia and her children, but by killing Aerys he betrayed everything he stood for. How could he regain that without putting another Targaryen on the Iron Throne? If Aegon could forgive him, then his sin will be truly forgiven.

This. I believe that Jamie would seize any opportunity to cleanse his reputation and wash away the his "stains" made available to him. I feel like Aegon can offer that to him, but it may come at a cost. Would Jamie be willing to pay the price of redemption and absolution?

Even if JC and Aegon don't care about Aerys, they just can't afford to forgive Jamie. Jamie is the man who killed Aerys, he is a living symbol of everything the Targayren loyalist despise about Robert's Rebellion.

neither of the knew aerys wanted to burn the city to ground and jaime unknowingly did his duty and saved the heirs life

If Jaime lives to see young Aegon and JonCon (a big IF):

I cannot see him turning against his children. If Myrcella and/or Tommen were a hostage he may be willing to confess to fathering them to save them. He would probably accept punishment for slaying Aerys. If (another big IF) Aegon/JonCon were to learn about Aerys' stockpiling wildfire, they may be able tp forgive him. So the way I see it: the only way Jaime would join Aegon would be if (1) Tommen/Myrcella were hostage (or if their cause was totally lost) and (2) The young Targ knew about the wild fire. And all this is only IF Jaime live long enough to meet them.

I agree, Jaime will save them if he can (I think it will be too late and will never see them alive again) by confessing the truth, Joff Too, bare his soul, admit Ned was no traitor, Stannis etcc but this is wishful thinking. Jaime, if he lives, will be headed to find Sansa with Briene (if stoneheart allows it, thistime, they may go with them to make sure this happens) Can any of you imagine. Littlefinger meets UNCat.

His respect for Rhaegar will allow him to accept him and the new Jamie will be more likely to try and be civil find out the truth and if Aegon is real will pledge allegiance to win his throne then give his life for the Regicide he committed. In one fell swoop he helps set in motion the things Rhaegar mentioned to Jamie as well as face his crimes thus completing his redemption act.

Archived