Grand Tyrell Conspiracy Theory

Loras was mortally wounded (or pretended to be mortally wounded, according to your crackpot) BEFORE Cersei was imprisoned. Unless the Tyrells possess psychic powers that allow them to see into the future, how would they know that Cersei was going to be imprisoned so quickly?

“You would not believe half of what is happening in King’s Landing, sweetling. Cersei stumbles from one idiocy to the next, helped along by her council of the deaf, the dim, and the blind. I always anticipated that she would beggar the realm and destroy herself, but I never expected she would do it quite so fast.â€

Cersei's own inner-craziness is what destroyed herself. Not the Tyrells. Not Littlefinger. Not Varys.

Each of those guys may have helped along in certain ways, but nowhere near the extent that's being attributed to the Tyrells in this crackpot.

michael jon snow, i think your theory is very good and it makes a lot of sense, but i'm wondering where you think joff's assassination fits into this. did littlefinger have some agreement w/ the tyrells or was that all just a coincidence that helped get the ball rolling, so to speak??

Loras was mortally wounded (or pretended to be mortally wounded, according to your crackpot) BEFORE Cersei was imprisoned. Unless the Tyrells possess psychic powers that allow them to see into the future, how would they know that Cersei was going to be imprisoned so quickly?

michael jon snow, i think your theory is very good and it makes a lot of sense, but i'm wondering where you think joff's assassination fits into this. did littlefinger have some agreement w/ the tyrells or was that all just a coincidence that helped get the ball rolling, so to speak??

Here is where the jump goes from sound reasoning and logic to ungrounded assumptions and wishful thinking. What you say is correct to a degree. It's when MJS begins with the assumption that the Tyrells want to remove Cersei from the beginning. That faulty sticking point colors everything else he interprets. If Cersei is a selfish, but rational ruler, there is no cause to remove her.

Artanaro

Regardless, I'm not attempting to debate the specifics of MJS' theory, I'm simply stating that, while some specifics may be off ini actual attention to detail, he's still right. There is a conspiracy fronted by the Tyrells.

The Tyrells comprise a faction with motivations (protect their won, look out for their long term interests, etc). Besides that, about everything MJS said is wrong and based on invalid assumptions. There is evidence that contradicts most of his points (I promise to list it later, I still need to finish part 2 of my critique).

Artanaro

There's a certain amount of gall in you asking for references, I hope you know, when your theory is 100% speculation. Anyway...

The streets of King’s Landing seemed almost deserted as Jaime Lannister made his way back to the Red Keep atop Aegon’s High Hill. The soldiers who had crowded the city’s gambling dens and pot shops were largely gone now. Garlan the Gallant had taken half the Tyrell strength back to Highgarden, and his lady mother and grandmother had gone with him. The other half had marched south with Mace Tyrell and Mathis Rowan to invest Storm’s End.

As for the Lannister host, two thousand seasoned veterans remained encamped outside the city walls, awaiting the arrival of Paxter Redwyne’s fleet to carry them across Blackwater Bay to Dragonstone.

It was mostly Lannister men who attacked Dragonstone -- the Tyrell soldiers either went with Mace Tyrell to attack Storm's End, or returned home to the Reach.

I really am not in the mood to reply to anything else that you said, because frankly it's not worth arguing.

The Tyrells comprise a faction with motivations (protect their won, look out for their long term interests, etc). Besides that, about everything MJS said is wrong and based on invalid assumptions. There is evidence that contradicts most of his points (I promise to list it later, I still need to finish part 2 of my critique).

Artanaro

What would the Lannister soldiers do as they realized they weren't being sailed back to King's Landing? And what are they gonna do when they disembark in the Reach? Fight for the Tyrells?

Archived