Would Stannis turn on Jon?

hollowcrown

...if it meant getting the Iron Throne?

Do you think it's possible Stannis would turn on Jon Snow at some point in the series to try and secure the North for himself or something, or even vice versa.

Stannis and Jon have a pretty cool working relationship and a lot of mutual respect for each other, so I wouldn't like them come to blows but a lot of people think they will and Stannis will end up opposing the Starks.

Or has Stannis grown as a person where he'd pick Jon over a step towards the Iron Throne?

The only reason I could see Stannis having any (real) quarl with Jon would be if, assuming R+ L = J is true, Jon decides he wants the Iron Throne, which imo will never happen. So no.

ETA: I guess my answer to "would Stannis turn on Jon" is yes, because I acknowledge that it could happen under the circumstances I mentioned, but I highly doubt it will actually come to that.

...if it meant getting the Iron Throne?

Do you think it's possible Stannis would turn on Jon Snow at some point in the series to try and secure the North for himself or something, or even vice versa.

Stannis and Jon have a pretty cool working relationship and a lot of mutual respect for each other, so I wouldn't like them come to blows but a lot of people think they will and Stannis will end up opposing the Starks.

Or has Stannis grown as a person where he'd pick Jon over a step towards the Iron Throne?

Uhmmmm do you remember that one time when he killed his own brother Renly with a shadow queef?

Stanis turning on Jon, yes, Jon turning on Stannis also yes, though he will at least feel bad about it.

Stannis said to Davos that one of the hardest decision of his life had been to choose between his brother and his king, Robb's will will put Jon in the similar position (thought he doesn't really consider Stannis his king)

Anything jon does to help stannis will be happy with unless he becomes king in the north coz thats takin his right.... Then again i can see jon swooping saving stannis n the battle for winterfell, but stannis turning round n awardin him for the help but punishing him for breakin his vows.

No doubt Stannis will channel his inner Bolton and plunge a sword in Jon's back if it meant sitting the throne. Jon, no. He is very conscious of the stigma that goes along with being a bastard, people expect bastards to be of low morality and Jon considers this in his actions. He resents being a bastard particularly because he doesn't fit the mold of a bastard. He wouldn't sell out for Winterfell and he wouldn't sell out for the Iron Throne either. And I would argue that he has already passed that test because I think if given the choice he would take Winterfell over all the kingdoms any day.

No doubt Stannis will channel his inner Bolton and plunge a sword in Jon's back if it meant sitting the throne. Jon, no. He is very conscious of the stigma that goes along with being a bastard, people expect bastards to be of low morality and Jon considers this in his actions. He resents being a bastard particularly because he doesn't fit the mold of a bastard. He wouldn't sell out for Winterfell and he wouldn't sell out for the Iron Throne either. And I would argue that he has already passed that test because I think if given the choice he would take Winterfell over all the kingdoms any day.

Totally agree with this. I think Maester Aemon's chat with Jon about honor, duty and having to make difficult decisions (in AGoT) might be foreshadowing that even if Jon gets the chance to sit the throne, he won't. Just as Aemon turned down the crown, I have the feeling that Jon would defer, too, and choose to remain at Winterfell or the NW. The question is, who would he give the crown to? And if not Stannis, what would Stannis do about it?

I think the problem is that Stannis feels entitled to the throne through his blood claim, and anything less than sitting it isn't going to be "just" enough for him. Unless he can be convinced that somebody else has a better claim, I see him continuing to fight for the outcome he believes to be right, especially if he still has Mel encouraging him.

One thing we've seen about Stannis is that his elimination of the other claimants to the throne has been quite underhanded. Mel killed Renly with the shadow, and the ritual with the leeches (was that in ACoK?) may have played a role in determining the other deaths. As of yet, we haven't seen Stannis facing anyone important in direct combat. It'll be interesting if he does come to blows with Jon, face-to-face.

If Jon is crowned as either King of the Wildlings or King in the North, Stannis will declare war on him without hesitation. They're hardly friends, after all.

I doubt it will be anything to do with the Iron Throne though. That conflict will be between Dany and Aegon and the Lannister/Tyrell alliance.

As if people are shaking in their boots at the thought of Stannis and his puny 1000 man army turning on anyone at this point in the game.

He is a spent force, and any one of the King in the North's bannermen have more men than him on their own.

And his magic woman has now met her match against the Stark's greenseer as well.

If he turns on the Starks, he is done for. They are all that's standing between him and certain death.

try and secure the North for himself or something.

This may be a matter of semantics, but isn't Stannis already doing this?

I get it, Stannis is saving the realm to get the throne instead of the other way around, also I'm a Stannis man....but he already started trying to secure the North's support for himself the day he showed up to smash the Wildlings. He'll no doubt turn on Jon if that's what needs to be done to succeed (my poor Jon!). Stannis won't even think that he is turning on Jon because he believes that the North is part of his realm and Jon should afford him all the support, not go against him. No, it would be Jon betraying him in his head.

The correct question is: would Jon turn against Stannis?? that is the only way where Stannis would fight Jon. Actually more, it's his duty to fight Jon, if he denies him the Iron Throne :)

Concerning Jon, I think the context and his position would be the biggest factor in whether he would betray Stannis. I'm re-reading a AFFC and this morning just read the chapter where Aemon reveals to Samwell that Jon switched Mance's and Craster's sons which horrifies Sam

Sam: "No, no, he would never."

Aemon: "Jon would never. Lord Snow did. Sometimes there is no happy choice, Sam, only one less grievous than the others."

Archived