Some say in ice.

From what I've tasted of desire

I hold with those who favor fire.

But if it had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate

To say that for destruction ice

Is also great

And would suffice.

It's the story of fiery desire meeting icy hate.

Yes Frost's poem helped inspire Martin, but no that's not the meaning of the poem. According to Martin the obvious is the wall and the dragons, but there is more than just that.

Be cearful with the visions and the prophecies they are a double edged sword. Not everything means what it seems to mean. Well according to Martin anyway. For me I think it has a lot of meanings, and many of the ideas on this site about are probably right, life and death, passion and hate, dragons, and others, war, Jon and Dany. It's a lot of things. But I highly doubt it's an actual song, that's just phrasing.

Some say the world will end in fire,

Some say in ice.

From what I've tasted of desire

I hold with those who favor fire.

But if it had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate

To say that for destruction ice

Is also great

And would suffice.

It's the story of fiery desire meeting icy hate.

Spot on!

I think that when Rhaegar says Aegon's song is the song of ice and fire it indicates his future with Jon (ice) and Dany (fire).

If Jon is Rhaegar & Lyanna's son he is already both fire and ice. Jon & Dany are ice/fire/fire.

If Jon is Rhaegar & Lyanna's son he is already both fire and ice. Jon & Dany are ice/fire/fire.

I read this on here one day.

Sansa (ice) and Aegon (fire). It was in one of the Sansa or Aegon threads. I think someone was asking "what if there's more than one ice and fire?" or something like that.

I think Rhaegar and past Targaryens misinterpreted the prophecy. IMO it is the song of two elements/people, no more no less. I interpret it as a union between the two, whether figuratively or literally.

i like it

I am just trying to make sense why Rhaegar says this is Aegon's song. Jon seems like ice: Starks, Old Gods, leader in the North, wolf. Other than his father being a Targ, I don't see anything of fire about him. Also, the word "and" sticks out to me. I don't see anyone being both.

Jon is the song of ice [stark] and fire [Targaryen] and he is the prince that was promised.

However, Mel is not wrong, there is a larger song of ice and fire going on that is the coming war...ice/others/dark...fire/dragons/light. But, I have no doubt she has misread her signs and is going to be confused and wrong about who the bad guys really are or are not, e.g. Bloodraven and Bran.

I am just trying to make sense why Rhaegar says this is Aegon's song. Jon seems like ice: Starks, Old Gods, leader in the North, wolf. Other than his father being a Targ, I don't see anything of fire about him. Also, the word "and" sticks out to me. I don't see anyone being both.

Aemon talks about Rhaegar's evolving concept of the prophecy a few times, and his misinterpretation of said prophecy. I think he thought he needed to recreate Aegon and his sister-wives, so he thought Aegon was the prince. But he also went out and seduced Lyanna, of the house most associated with winter and ice. There's quite a bit of imagery that connects Jon to both fire and ice, Dany's vision, Jon's dreams, and he shares personality traits with both Rhaegar and Lyanna. Oddly, the personality traits are kinda opposite the elements represented by his parents, quick anger with Lyanna, melancholy with Rhaegar.

His Imperial and Royal Majesty Jon Diredragon (or Snowdragon or Starkdragon or Snow) first of his name. The King of Winter and the Dragon in the North. Azor Ahai reborn, the Prince that was Promised.The song of Ice and Fire.

King of the the First Men. Lord of the North, the Vale, the Iron Isles the Riverlands, and Beyond the Wall

aka Jon Snow

A Song of Ice and Fire is Jon Snow being Targaryen and Stark if that is true. A Song of Ice and Fire is R'hllor and The Great Other probably being the same Deity/God. Also, the Obsidian/Dragonglass being used to kill Wights/Others. There are probably countless others, but those are a few. Also, some of the relations between Ice and Fire at this poiint are only because of speculation on what we have read. The significance of "A Song of Ice and Fire" will probably be revealed more in the last two books.

• 1 month later...

I think it may be GRRM playing on the conventions of fantasy. What keeps on coming up over and over again are how there is no black or white situations. One of the biggest ones off the top of my head is Jaime killing Aerys. On the one hand he is breaking his Kingsguard vows and on the other he's likely saving the populace of Kings Landing.

Maybe GRRM is playing on our expectations as readers of fantasy that there will be a great evil and a great good, and in fact it is not as simple as that.

Yeah the fact that Rhaegar said about Aegon 'his will be the song of ice and fire' suggest that maybe he knew something significant about it, perhaps a prophecy. I'm not sure why he would have said it about Aegon though, as there wasn't really any 'ice' in him, so to speak.

I like how there are so many examples of opposites and 'ice and fire' in the book that there are so many possibilities :)

I think it means The Others (Ice) and Dragons (Fire), the two main supernatural parts of the story.

I really, really hope it doesnt mean Jon. That would ruin the entire series, if it turned out there was just one main character.

A few things to add:

When Dany burns Drogo she says she points his body North to South, Ice and Fire, so the term is mentioned then as well.

Magic, in this world, involves a lot of singing, as well as several magical horns being in existence. The Song in A Song of Ice and Fire could also have implications to the return of magic to the world, and a cycle starting over again.

There's quite a bit of imagery that connects Jon to both fire and ice, Dany's vision, Jon's dreams, and he shares personality traits with both Rhaegar and Lyanna.

There is more than a "bit" of imagery for Jon. You can't read a Jon chapter without multiple references to the wall, the cold, the snow, and other elements of ice as well as references to fire, buring a fire, killing the dead with fire, Jon grabbing a handful of fire, Ygritte being kissed by fire... the list goes on and on, literally every single chapter has imagery of ice and fire for Jon.

It's the story of the sword Ice, the events around it as it's destroyed and moved around then reforged into the sword Fire.

It's the story of the sword Ice, the events around it as it's destroyed and moved around then reforged into the sword Fire.

Kinda like the Red Violin? the movie with Samuel L Jackson?

Archived