Once Upon a Time (Its very own 2nd thread)

Howdyphillip

While I think of it I really wanted to comment about August's 'redemption' - I was just side tracked by Tamara.

Maybe I'm alone in this. But the result of August finally doing something slightly selfless. Just made me cranky.

After everything he has done. The trouble he caused by being first and foremost selfish. He not only gets his redemption. But he gets a freaking do-over! To grow up with a dad and have no memory of the struggles and his choices.

I mean yay for him. But What?!

Funny you see things this way; for me, August received the greatest punishment, in simply having his life, all his experiences, erased. Yeah, he grew up an orphan, which sucks, but he didn't exactly have a bad life, did he, no matter what this moralistic plot might have us believe. Not to mention now he starts anew he could always end up making the same mistakes again, even with all the guidance he's supposed to have, which seems nightmarish to me. But I agree it seems like Gepetto received an unjust gift after everything.

Was anyone else offended by the very principle of what Snow got angry at Gepetto for. He sent his son to this land to basically save his life, yet this is somehow less important than Snow going back herself. Why in the hell did Gepetto have to apologize in the first place. It seems Snow was incredibly selfish from the start.

I still don't understand how the hell she killed the dragon and august with a taser.

The dragon is meant to be incredibly powerful, even if in human form a taser can't kill someone unless this magical being has a heart condition ... and how can an electric current harm someone made completely of wood, bad writing.

Was anyone else offended by the very principle of what Snow got angry at Gepetto for. He sent his son to this land to basically save his life, yet this is somehow less important than Snow going back herself. Why in the hell did Gepetto have to apologize in the first place. It seems Snow was incredibly selfish from the start.

I can understand snow here, I think it's because of the distance between emma and snow from the beginning where emma was mad at them for sending her away. To snow, she thought she could have gone with emma and emma wouldn't had to grow up alone.

It's selfish but I understand it.

I think that was her dark side poking it's ugly black head. It was supposed to show how her heart is changing and getting more and more black. She herself said it wasn't her and that Gepetto had nothing to apologize for.

I still don't understand how the hell she killed the dragon and august with a taser.

The dragon is meant to be incredibly powerful, even if in human form a taser can't kill someone unless this magical being has a heart condition ... and how can an electric current harm someone made completely of wood, bad writing.

I agree.Even if it was ice dragon with +5 on electricity it is still not enough to kill it.Not to mention someone made of wood.

Re: Pinocchio's redemption.I believe it was attempt to put and end to this story cause they don't know where to go with it anymore and actor who plays him wanted to do other things. So how to make sure we don't leave a window for his return without killing him...let's change him.

Snow apologize later for it. It's the black heart.

Funny you see things this way; for me, August received the greatest punishment, in simply having his life, all his experiences, erased. Yeah, he grew up an orphan, which sucks, but he didn't exactly have a bad life, did he, no matter what this moralistic plot might have us believe. Not to mention now he starts anew he could always end up making the same mistakes again, even with all the guidance he's supposed to have, which seems nightmarish to me. But I agree it seems like Gepetto received an unjust gift after everything.

It's interesting that you see it that way. I'm certainly not going to disagree. Perhaps this is a life perspective thing. For me I see it as a huge second chance with better odds. Sure he did what he did and lived how he lived. Being a kid in a strange world and no one to guide him. It's easy to see his life for good or ill as a matter of circumstance. Same as Emma.

For me Pinocchio gets to have his time back with a lost parent. He gets to know what it's like to be loved, supported and adored.

That in itself I don't begrudge him. I envy him.

I guess what struck me was the imbalance of the gift/consequence. He gets to have something Emma will never know anything about. - As in growing up with security and loving parents.

But it makes sense (not in the story) that if the actor had other work and they needed to tie up that story line. That they went with something like that. It certainly puts the ick factor in the Emma-August ship now though.

I agree with the posters that said it was a manifestation of the blackening heart.

But as a mother I totally see where she was coming from.

Apart from Gepetto being given a job to do and then he used the situation to get his way. Was deceitful about it. I would go so far as to say selfish.

Being separated from your baby can cause stress and pain. - I can't even describe to you what it feels like. To make the choice to send a defenceless new born baby who is more likely to die of exposure and starvation rather than survive away from you. Is something that would have haunted her to her bones. She comes to find out the horrible life her daughter did have and suffers terrible guilt for it.

And then she is told that she could have been there. She could have fulfilled her roll as a mother and saved her daughter and herself suffering.

If it was me.. Dude better know how to run faster than a speeding bullet.

It was a moment of grief mixed with all the guilt and fear she has been carrying. And clearly she can see both sides because she said she understood and forgave him.

I'm trying to remember what the fear was that drove Gepetto. Was he afraid that Pinocchio would die. Turned back into wood permanently?

What was it that made putting Pinocchio into the wardrobe more important than having the curse broken and them be reunited. Gepetto couldn't have known what would happen to his son in this world. For all he knew his fate could have been much worse. Without magic he could have come through as a lifeless wooden puppet. It seems like he took a really risky gamble with more lives than he had a right to gamble with.

Maybe I just have that opinion because I can't recall what his motivation was.

I thought you might like this article making fun of the latest episode. :rofl:

After re-watching that scene. That seems like a heck of a lot of voltage for a taser.

I'm trying to remember what the fear was that drove Gepetto. Was he afraid that Pinocchio would die. Turned back into wood permanently?

What was it that made putting Pinocchio into the wardrobe more important than having the curse broken and them be reunited. Gepetto couldn't have known what would happen to his son in this world. For all he knew his fate could have been much worse. Without magic he could have come through as a lifeless wooden puppet. It seems like he took a really risky gamble with more lives than he had a right to gamble with.

Maybe I just have that opinion because I can't recall what his motivation was.

From what I recall it was exactly that - which is, since the curse was meant to prevent their happy-endings, Gepetto would not only be separated from Pinocchio, but his son would be a wooden, lifeless thing once again. As it was a world without magic, therefore with no chances of his being a boy once again, I can sympathize with his reasoning for sending him instead of letting Snow go with Emma, though it was a stupid choice overall. I don't think he even considered the boy might become wood once he passed on to this world, since he was flesh and bones then.

Anyway, though it wasn't his intention, it seems to me he doomed Pinocchio to an even worse fate than taking his chances with the curse. I mean, who gives a seven(?)-year-old kid the responsibility to guide and take care of a baby in order to save everyone he knew? It reminds me of the Beauty and the Beast Disney film, where the sorceress curses a young teenager just because he refused to help a creepy-looking stranger... :ack:

More on the Gepetto thing... I think it is safe to assume that he knew that as the child was flesh when he went to the new world, he would stay flesh. It was absolutely certain that he would die if he stayed where he was.

I understand a mother having great emotions about being split from an infant, but I still don't see that as a greater need than this kid is absolutely going to die if this isn't done. As a matter of fact, it is insanely selfish if Snow would have been given that choice and made it. This was heavily implied that this would have happened because she did "forgive" Gepetto for his wrong doing.

Having just watched the last episode, I understand where Mary Margaret is coming from when her slightly "evil" (at this point "more confrontational" may be more accurate) side got angry at Gepetto At the same time, I understand why Gepetto felt that he had to sneak in Pinocchio with Emma. In the end, both are just putting their child ahead of others, for better or worse. Choosing the greater good is not always easy.

As a way to close the Pinocchio loop, the do-over is okay, I guess. But when I think about August as a character, I don't think it's what he would have wanted. Actually, I'm in the it's-cruel camp. He could just as easily mess up this new start because he has to relearn whatever lessons he previously learned, albeit with more conducive conditions.

I can't fault Snow for being angry at not knowing she could have traveled with Emma. Had she known Pinnocho would die but for being transported I suspect she would have stayed but she never had the opportunity to make that choice.

I personally wouldn't ever give anyone a choice that had the possibility to kill my child either. If there was any possibility of avoiding it, I would clearly choose that.

HP,

I personally wouldn't ever give anyone a choice that had the possibility to kill my child either. If there was any possibility of avoiding it, I would clearly choose that.

Therefore, I would suggest you should understand Snow's anger given the risk he took with Emma's life.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived