Jon's parentage.. is Howland's word going to be enough?

IceGal

I find that `right by conquest` utterly idiotic, since anyone would claim the throne in that case.

:agree: :thumbsup: :love: :wub:

Can I hug you? 'Cause you're the first person I've met on the forums who has openly denounced right of conquest!

I've said in other posts that I don't believe the Baratheons can invoke right of conquest since the Targaryens didn't cede power after suing for peace, and since the Targ family line wasn't completely annihilated, the survivors are the rightful inheritors of the crown. It's only logical, IMHO.

Of the myriad story arcs that have evolved over the course of the first five books, Jon's is, arguably, the most intriguing. It certainly has generated much debate and conjecture. I'm excited to see how it is resolved. I'm more excited to see what role, if any, Howland Reed will have to play in that.

I think Howland has a part to play in the story that has yet to unfold. I think it will be important. How that manifests remains to be seen of course.

I don't think he'd do it to ride a dragon. Indeed, I can hardly see him doing that. Rather, he'd claim the throne to protect the realms of men.

Exactly, because I think the above is the part of his vows that he takes the most seriously. It is certainly what has driven him to protect the wildlings.

How much do we think Selmy knows? As KG he would have had some idea of a relationship with Lyanna, that three KG were guarding her and then all of a sudden they are dead and Ned Stark has a bastard.

For that matter, how much does Jamie know from being a KG at that time? He kept the secret of the Mad King's wildfire burried throughout the city when disclosing the secret would have somewhat saved his honor. Jamie legitimizing the Jon would sort out the Lanisters and possibly High Garden as well.

Well Selmy seems to know enough to state that Rhaegar loved Lyanna, and I see no reason to doubt him on that even if he admits that he wasn't one of the KG closest to Rhaegar. As for Jamie I have no clue how much he might know. I supposed it would depend on how much Rhaegar was in KL after Harranhal when Jaime joined the KG. That said Jaime did meet Jon without any kind of recognition hitting him, though I don't know if he was even looking at him critically in any way since he assumed he was a bastard and seemed to like the idea that Ned broke his vows.

If R+L=J is true, I don't expect it to be broadcast to the realm. I much less expect it to radically change the course of Jon's story - there's not enough pages left for that.

It seems likely it would be like Jon's victories and triumphs: something no one in the realm will ever know except him.

That is some very faulty logic considering this series was going to be a trilogy when it was started and GRRM is not ruling out the possibility of an eighth book. This series will be as long as GRRM needs to finish telling the story, and no one but him knows how many that would take.

Just a guess, GRRM may have other plans. Bran will reveal to Jon the answer to his parentage is in Lyanna's crypt. Contents of crypt most likely a Will signed by Rhaegar and wistnessed by three Kingsgaurd. Howland can verify the contents are authentic, his word alone would only stand with some of the Northmen.

Yes. Davos says there is no man more just. Also, remember "My brother or my king; that was a hard choosing." First time, he chose his brother. This time, he'll choose his king.

He will if anything because he killed his brother so its not a hard choice this time. Stannis would step aside if he believed someone had a better claim to the throne than him. If he doesn't believe Danaerys does, then I'd find it hard to believe that he would think Jon did (L+R=J).

I doubt Howland has any sort of evidence to support any claims to Jons lineage or anything else for that matter (like Robb's will). IF we even meet Howland, which I hope we do, we may learn some back story, but physical paper / proof is going to be hard to come by.

And we've all seen what a piece of paper means in the kingdom anyways (ie Cersei)

Archived