Jon Snow and the Blue Winter Rosetta Stone

J. Stargaryen

Like the well known Rosetta Stone, ASoIaF's blue winter roses help to decipher what otherwise might have been a mystery. In this case, Jon Snow's true identity as the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark.

Before we get to the analysis, there are a couple of issues I want to address. The first being what I consider to be the biggest misunderstanding about the blue roses, and the second on where I think they might be most useful in arguing R+L=J.

1) Probably the most common misconception regarding Lyanna's blue roses is that they symbolize (only) her. While that connection is the most obvious, I think there is more to it. In fact, I believe the obviousness of this connection is an intentional misdirection, wherein GRRM used a kind of cognitive bias against the reader.

In AGoT the flowers only appear in Ned's POVs, and only when he thinks about his sister. This fact conditions us to connect the flowers to her and, in many cases, only her. It's a clever (re: tricky) way to obscure their true meaning. That way, by the time we read Ned's final chapter, and find out that Rhaegar gave Lyanna the crown of winter roses at Harrenhal, we have already (mis)learned that the flowers symbolize Lyanna. Which makes it easy to ignore the actual significance and symbolism of that particular reveal. Lyanna's roses were given to her by Rhaegar Targaryen. Which leads to the next point.

2) Every now and then a debate will arise regarding the certainty of Jon's paternity, whilst conceding the maternity; i.e., ?+L=J. The answer to which is: trace Lyanna's blue roses back to their origin. Chronologically, their first appearance was the QoLaB's crowning at the Harrenhal tourney in 281AC. This turns out to be the key piece of information needed to understand Ned's recurring thoughts and dreams, about his sister and her blue roses. It provides the context: Lyanna's roses were given to her by Rhaegar Targaryen.

(A quick note regarding real world blue rose symbolism. "The meaning of the blue rose is about mystery [as in; who is Jon Snow's mother?] or attaining the impossible. The blue rose is also used as a symbol of love at first sight [R+L?]. The blue coloring also represents royal blood [which Jon receives from his father] so it can represent splendor and regal majesty.")

---

AGoT, Eddard:

“I was with her when she died,” Ned reminded the king. “She wanted to come home, to rest beside Brandon and Father.” He could hear her still at times. Promise me, she had cried, in a room that smelled of blood and roses. Promise me, Ned. The fever had taken her strength and her voice had been faint as a whisper, but when he gave her his word, the fear had gone out of his sister’s eyes. Ned remembered the way she had smiled then, how tightly her fingers had clutched his as she gave up her hold on life, the rose petals spilling from her palm, dead and black. After that he remembered nothing. They had found him still holding her body, silent with grief. The little crannogman, Howland Reed, had taken her hand from his. Ned could recall none of it. “I bring her flowers when I can,” he said. “Lyanna was... fond of flowers.”

- Eddard I

Found in Ned’s first chapter, the phrase “

blood and roses” conveys quite a bit of information, once you know what you’re looking at. But to understand exactly why this early reference means what it does we must look ahead. In Eddard X, Ned remembers Lyanna in her “bed of blood” which we know means birthing bed thanks to MMD. In Eddard XV, we learn where Lyanna’s roses come from. Rhaegar Targaryen named her the QoLaB when he placed a crown of winter roses in her lap, following his victory in the joust at the Harrenhal tourney.

So, “blood and roses” looks like shorthand for “bed of blood” and “crown of winter roses" to me. The former means childbirth, while the latter connects Rhaegar to Lyanna. In other words, it tells us that Lyanna had given birth, and the baby's father was Rhaegar.

---

I can't help but feel that "dead and black" foreshadows the Ides of Marsh. Especially if it really kills Jon, at least temporarily. In which case he'll be a dead black brother.

When Ned agreed to Lyanna's promise, it allowed her to stop fighting and give up her hold on life, which led to her dropping the dead and black rose petals. But also, by agreeing to that promise, Ned set Jon on a path that eventually led to the Wall, which then eventually led to the IoM (possibly dead and definitely black). So, it looks like there is a good chance GRRM is using these rose petals to foreshadow Jon Snow's future. Petals that most likely came from the crown of winter roses.

---

“I bring her flowers when I can,” he said. “Lyanna was... fond of flowers.”

We know that Lyanna is associated with the winter roses. And while all roses are flowers, not all flowers are roses. So we are left to wonder if these flowers are roses. I don't know for sure which flowers Ned actually brings her, but I am 99.9% sure that GRRM is using Lyanna + flowers to at least imply winter roses in the subtext. Supporting analysis and examples here and here. (Short version: GRRM occasionally substitutes "flower" for "rose," and will also do things like e.g. use "flower" + "blue" to imply blue rose.)

“Lyanna was... fond of flowers.”

It wasn't only GRRM who was being subtle in using "flowers" instead of "roses." Notice the ellipsis before Ned finishes his thought. He surely knew better than to tell Robert that Lyanna was fond of roses. You know, like the ones Rhaegar gave her. The way "fond" is used here reminds of something I read in ADwD: The old knight [ser Barristan] hesitated. “Princess Elia was a good woman, Your Grace. She was kind and clever, with a gentle heart and a sweet wit. I know the prince was very fond of her.”
Fond, thought Dany. The word spoke volumes. I could become fond of Hizdahr zo Loraq, in time. Perhaps. - ADwD, Daenerys IV

Rather than tell outright lies to their lieges, Ned and Ser Barristan prefer to tell as little truth as possible. Softening the potential blow as best they can.

As they came together in a rush of steel and shadow, he could hear Lyanna screaming. “Eddard!” she called. A storm of rose petals blew across a blood-streaked sky, as blue as the eyes of death.

-Eddard X

Importantly, this is the first mention of the flower's color. Credit to

Ygrain for pointing that out.

Storm symbolism is fairly common in literature, from King Lear to I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. Shakespeare and Maya Angelou used thunderstorms to represent the inner turmoil of characters. Though not called a thunderstorm, Ned's troubled dream at least partly lends itself to that interpretation. But storms also can symbolize other things, like conflict.That interpretation also fits Ned's dream, given the battle at the ToJ, not to mention the blood spilled during Robert's Rebellion, which can be traced back to the crowning of Lyanna at the Harrenhal tourney. In fact, the conflict itself could be the cause of much of Ned's inner turmoil. Recall Ned's sadness when telling Bran about Ser Arthur Dayne - ACoK, Bran III.

But it's not just a storm. Rather, it's a storm of [blue] rose petals. That being the case, I can't see any good reason to view these petals as coming from anywhere other than the Harrenhal crown, given to Lyanna by Rhaegar. And if that crown, and therefore those petals, symbolize Jon Snow, then GRRM might be saying that the bloody, deadly conflict was fought over Jon. An interpretation which fits quite well with what we think happened.

But there is one other interpretation that comes to mind concerning "storm," at least for me. In all likelihood, Jon was born at the tower. And the use of storm reminds me that GRRM has named Dany, Daenerys Stormborn.

When viewed in this light, the sentence seems to relate Jon's birth—A storm of [blue] rose petals—with blood and death. This looks like an accurate version of events, considering that Jon's birth indirectly caused the deaths of his mother, three KG knights, and five Northerners, not to mention the entire chain of events that led to Robert's Rebellion.

Her eyes burned, green fire in the dusk, like the lioness that was her sigil. “The night of our wedding feast, the first time we shared a bed, he called me by your sister’s name. He was on top of me, in me, stinking of wine, and he whispered Lyanna. “
Ned Stark thought of pale blue roses, and for a moment he wanted to weep. “I do not know which of you I pity most.”

-Eddard XII

This is from the meeting between Ned and Cersei in the godswood of the Red Keep. A meeting which is motivated by Ned's intent to confront Cersei regarding her bastard children, and his desire to protect them from Robert's wrath. The emphasis in this part of the chapter is placed on

children, both in Ned's inner monologue and the dialogue with Cersei.

How do the blue roses fit here? Why do they come up now? Considering that GRRM beats us over the head with the children theme, it makes sense in this context for Ned to think of pale blue roses when Cersei says his sister's name out loud. Because, what began at HH with a crown of winter roses, ended at the ToJ with Lyanna giving birth to her child, and securing a promise from Ned.

He was walking through the crypts beneath Winterfell, as he had walked a thousand times before. The Kings of Winter watched him pass with eyes of ice, and the direwolves at their feet turned their great stone heads and snarled. Last of all, he came to the tomb where his father slept, with Brandon and Lyanna beside him. “Promise me, Ned, “ Lyanna’s statue whispered. She wore a garland of pale blue roses, and her eyes wept blood.

-Eddard XIII

Lyanna's statue is crying tears of blood, which has been established in-story as something the faces on the weirwood trees appear to be doing, due to their red sap. This weirwood connection reminds me again of the HH tourney, where (most people believe) Lyanna posed as the Knight of the Laughing Tree; a knight whose device was a

weirwood tree with a laughing face. Reinforcing the connection to HH, the crown of winter roses that Rhaegar placed in her lap sits upon her statue's head.

It's probably also worth mentioning that tears of blood can be a form of the stigmata. With that in mind, one wonders if Lyanna's crown of roses isn't supposed to remind us of Jesus' crown of thorns. Every rose has its thorn, they say.

Let's revisit The Moment When All the Smiles Died, from Eddard XV, because there is an addendum which belongs here, I think.

Ned remembered the moment when all the smiles died, when Prince Rhaegar Targaryen urged his horse past his own wife, the Dornish princess Elia Martell, to lay the queen of beauty’s laurel in Lyanna’s lap. He could see it still: a crown of winter roses, blue as frost.

*TWoIaF confirmed what some had been suspected before, that Rhaegar used his lance to place the crown of winter roses in Lyanna's lap. The inclusion of the lance definitely serves to strengthen the conception metaphor, for obvious reasons. Especially when contrasted with the TotH, where Ser Loras handed Sansa a red rose.*

When I read this passage, I see an incredibly strong metaphor for the story of Jon Snow's conception. Assuming my interpretation is correct, I believe it constitutes some of the best R+L=J evidence out there. Here's what I mean.

The story of Jon's conception (re: the metaphor) begins when Rhaegar urges his horse past Elia, but I'm not going to start there. I want to start with the last part describing the crown. It's a crown of blue winter roses. This is important to understand because I believe that blue winter roses symbolize Jon Snow. Now, not fundamentally important to the theory, but interesting to note, is that the logical continuation of this metaphor - that is, a crown of blue winter roses - hints at Jon's royal blood and/or his royal future the same way a crown of golden lions would for a Lannister, or a crown of silver trout would for a Tully.

Okay, now back to the beginning. Like I was saying, the 'story' begins when Rhaegar urges his horse past Elia. This act mirrors his later romantic snub of her. In both cases he does so in favor of Lyanna. In other words, he twice chooses Lyanna Stark over his own wife; first when naming the QoLaB at Harrenhal, and then when he makes off with her for the ToJ.

The first choice is made when Rhaegar lays the queen of beauty's laurel in Lyanna's lap. An act which seems to simultaneously predict and confirm R+L=J. The item itself and its placement seem highly suggestive to me. The aforementioned crown of blue winter roses - aka, Jon Snow - is placed in his mother's lap. You guys know where babies come from, right? So if what I've said above is correct, the metaphor seems to say that Rhaegar spurned Elia in favor of Lyanna. He then placed Jon Snow in Lyanna's lap womb.

For bonus points, the description of the crown as a 'laurel' works as a clue that Rhaegar and Lyanna were married. The word laurel literally describes the crown, while it figuratively represents honor. The notion of Rhaegar honoring Lyanna by placing Jon Snow in her lap probably contradicts the idea of Jon's bastardy. If not, giving birth to Jon Snow could turn out to be a tremendous honor, provided his character turns out to be the king/hero/messiah figure he's in line to be. Again, not necessarily of fundamental importance, but something worth noting.

Ned Stark reached out his hand to grasp the flowery crown, but beneath the pale blue petals the thorns lay hidden. He felt them clawing at his skin, sharp and cruel, saw the slow trickle of blood run down his fingers, and woke, trembling, in the dark.
Promise me, Ned, his sister had whispered from her bed of blood. She had loved the scent of winter roses.

As it does in the previous quote, the flowery crown works well here as a symbolic representation of Jon, who is taken in by Ned and raised as his own;

grasp. But for the honorable Ned Stark, the secrets and lies have taken a toll on him mentally and emotionally, including directly impacting his relationships with Catelyn and Jon. It's also possible that raising Jon contributed to Ned's distance from Robert in the years following the rebellion. Perhaps Ned could have forgiven Robert for condoning the murder of Rhaegar's children, if he wasn't raising one himself.

Regarding the second bold portion, it seems to me like most people take this to mean that Lyanna had grown up loving the smell of winter roses. I'm not so sure. It seems just as likely, if not more so, that she came to love them sometime after Rhaegar placed a crown of them in her lap.

ACoK, Theon:

But there were others with faces he had never known in life, faces he had seen only in stone. The slim, sad girl who wore a crown of pale blue roses and a white gown spattered with gore could only be Lyanna.

- Theon XI

Theon describes Lyanna's gown as spattered with gore, which means bloodshed. Though the word usually indicates some type of violence, GRRM may simply be reinforcing the idea that birthing is a bloody and unpleasant business. But, as is the case with "blood-streaked sky," it's worth nothing all of the bloodshed associated with R&L's relationship and Jon's birth.

Something we don't see in the other passages is that Lyanna is wearing a white gown, which immediately brings to mind a wedding dress. A significant piece of information that is consistent with the notion that R&L married.

The crown of pale blue roses she is wearing seems to connect both of these events in a very familiar and satisfying way. If the gore (partially) represents giving birth, and the white gown means marriage, the crown of roses conveniently tells us who the husband and father of her child was. Rhaegar crowned her, married her, and impregnated her.

---

ACoK, Daenerys:

A blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness.

-Daenerys IV (HotU)

Probably one of the key passages in the entire series, from arguably the most confounding section. The blue flower in the HotU signaled to many readers the nature of the blue rose symbolism, and has served as a key piece of R+L=J evidence ever since. But there is probably more to it.

For starters, I'm assuming the events at the end of Jon's Dance arc and the HotU phrasing are not a coincidence. Specifically, the assassination attempt on the LC by brothers of the NW could well symbolize a "crack" in the Wall; ...chink in a wall of ice.

Further, that it's this "crack in the Wall" that allows, or probably more accurately, causes Jon to learn who he is and become who or what he's meant to be; A blue flower grew from a chink in the wall of ice.

The last part, filling the air with sweetness, seems relatively straightforward and maybe even harmless. Though, a while back, an alarming correlation between sweet(ness) and bad things, especially in Dany's chapters, was discovered. Even if you accept the sweet(ness) as negative premise, and believe it applies here, you can interpret it in so many different ways that it doesn't tell us much. (e.g., Jon and Dany fall in love, have a baby but Dany dies in child birth = sweetness as a negative. Dany and Jon fight on opposing sides = sweetness as a negative. And so on.) In fact, the answer will most likely only be clear almost immediately beforehand or in retrospect. - Sweetness as a Negative.

“A dead man in the prow of a ship, a blue rose, a banquet of blood… what does any of it mean, Khaleesi? A mummer’s dragon, you said. What is a mummer’s dragon, pray?”

- Daenerys V

Aside from affirming that the blue flower in the HotU was in fact a blue rose, the latter quote serves little other purpose, as far as I can tell, and is presented without additional comment.

---

AFfC, Cersei:

“Not kind,” said Cersei, “merely truthful. Taena tells me that you are called the Blue Bard.”
“I am, Your Grace.” The singer’s boots were supple blue calfskin, his breeches fine blue wool. The tunic he wore was pale blue silk slashed with shiny blue satin. He had even gone so far as to dye his hair blue, in the Tyroshi fashion. Long and curly, it fell to his shoulders and smelled as if it had been washed in rosewater. From blue roses, no doubt. At least his teeth are white. They were good teeth, not the least bit crooked.

- Cersei IX

I've posted analyses elsewhere (

AFfC, Cersei V and AFfC, Cersei VIII) showing how some of Cersei's chapters in Feast contain linguistic callbacks to the tourney at Harrenhal and Robert's Rebellion, which are both closely intertwined with R+L=J. Further, on numerous occasions Cersei thinks of Prince Rhaegar, and how she was supposed to marry him, and have his sons. Though not as heavy handed as the other examples, I believe this is another allusion of sorts to R+L=J. In a way, history is kind-of-but-not-quite repeating itself.

Here we have a bard (Rhaegar's stand in) allegedly romantically involved with Margaery (Lyanna). Not only are both girls associated with roses, but it's not the first time GRRM has used House Tyrell + blue to insinuate blue roses into the subtext. As he had previously done with Margaery's brother, Ser Loras, during the Tourney of the Hand back in AGoT. Now, as then, GRRM uses a Tyrell + blue to create a just-beneath-the-surface reference to R+L=J. We also have this bit, a few paragraphs later:

Cersei plucked a string and smiled at the sound. “Sweet and sad as love."

Generally speaking, it reminds me of Rhaegar's melancholy nature. Specifically, it causes me to think of two lines in particular. "The dragon prince sang a song so sad it made the wolf maid sniffle." - ASoS, Bran II (KotLT story), and: “Love is sweet, dearest Ned, but it cannot change a man’s nature.” - AGoT, Eddard IX (Lyanna to Ned).

---

The Song O' the Winter Rose; Bael, Rhaegar, Mance, R+L=J:

While Bael's song is largely viewed as a parallel for R+L=J, and rightly so in my opinion, some believe that Mance is Rhaegar in disguise, mostly based on the parallels between the two in ASoS, Jon I. This despite a number of issues, not the least of which is GRRM stating that "Rhaegar was cremated, as is traditional for fallen Targaryens." - Link. But I believe a more elegant explanation exists.

Taking the Mance-Rhaegar parallels in ASoS for granted, as I mostly agree with them, we have to explain why, In ADwD, Mance's story suddenly starts to resemble Bael the Bard's. Simply put, I believe GRRM is reinforcing the link between Rhaegar and Bael, through Mance's character. A link that already existed thanks to the similarities between the R+L=J story and the song o' the winter rose. (Both feature singers who stole Stark daughters and gave them sons. Bael even has the Targaryen-like "ae" letter combination in his name, etc.) So, while the Rhaegar-Mance connections do exist in my opinion, it's not because they're the same person. Rhaegar fought valiantly, nobly and honorably, and he died at the Trident.

This is, of course, the BtB story as it pertains to R+L=J. There are parts of the story connected to that tale; e.g., Baelish and Sansa.

---

Thanks for reading.

The very least you could have done is pointed out Dany seeing a blue rose in a frozen wall, which is probably the biggest indication that blue roses are symbolism for Jon. Everything else is more of a "and in this sentence it says blue rose, which means Jon" which doesn't really have any weight, true or not.

Nice post overall.

However, there's one mention of the blue winter rose that you still have to explain: Bael the Bard asking Brandon the Daughterless for a Blue Winter Rose and taking his daughter instead.

Basically, both interpretations exist in parallel, and both have some points in favor and some against. I'll wait and see how all of this plays out ;)

The very least you could have done is pointed out Dany seeing a blue rose in a frozen wall, which is probably the biggest indication that blue roses are symbolism for Jon. Everything else is more of a "and in this sentence it says blue rose, which means Jon" which doesn't really have any weight, true or not.

You know, honestly, I take that fact for granted, and assumed that anyone who buys into the Jon-BWR symbolism does too. I felt like it was superfluous to add, but just for you...

And, FYI, the point of my interpretations is that I'm at least attempting to show how Jon fits into these parts of the story in place of the BWR, when the rose pops up.

Nice post overall.

However, there's one mention of the blue winter rose that you still have to explain: Bael the Bard asking Brandon the Daughterless for a Blue Winter Rose and taking his daughter instead.

Basically, both interpretations exist in parallel, and both have some points in favor and some against. I'll wait and see how all of this plays out ;)

Well, that's what I try to address here:

Now, they might not symbolize only Jon. There is also good reason to associate them with Lyanna, or the entire set of events beginning with the Tourney at Harrenhal in the Year of the False Spring. However, Lyanna is no longer alive at the beginning of the story; Jon is. And, most importantly, all of those events led to Jon's birth. Symbollically, Jon Snow is the blue winter rose.

The idea being that while I can't necessarily rule others out, I can rule Jon in, in every case. Essentially, the BWR may very well symbolize stolen Stark daughters and the sons that they give birth to. In our story, only Jon meets this criteria in every case. Of course there is an argument to be made for Sansa being connected to the Bael story, too. Besides that, I do not think you can really connect her to any other BWR symbolism.

There is a discussion about the RW vision in the HotU where I note a similar concept. There is some question as to whether the vision really showed the RW. My argument is that even though I can't rule out alternative takes, I definitely can rule in the RW.

Thanks for your input. This is an important point that needed clarification.

Well, that's what I try to address here:

The idea being that while I can't necessarily rule others out, I can rule Jon in, in every case. Essentially, the BWR may very well symbolize stolen Stark daughters and the sons that they give birth to. In our story, only Jon meets this criteria in every case. Of course there is an argument to be made for Sansa being connected to the Bael story, too. Besides that, I do not think you can really connect her to any other BWR symbolism.

There is a discussion about the RW vision in the HotU where I note a similar concept. There is some question as to whether the vision really showed the RW. My argument is that even though I can't rule out alternative takes, I definitely can rule in the RW.

Thanks for your input. This is an important point that needed clarification.

Sure, I just wanted you to make the point a little more clear overall. I don't really disagree with it all that much, in fact. Still, I'd argue the BWR is a symbol for both R+L's love and Jon - because both are, basically, identical.

Sure, I just wanted you to make the point a little more clear overall. I don't really disagree with it all that much, in fact. Still, I'd argue the BWR is a symbol for both R+L's love and Jon - because both are, basically, identical.

Yes! Jon is a walking, talking symbol of that love. This is a point I've made in the past, using the term equivalence.

Yes! Jon is a walking, talking symbol of that love. This is a point I've made in the past, using the term equivalence.

ETA: I've updated the third paragraph with what I hope will be helpful information. Or you can just read it here:

ETA: I suppose it is worth stating my intent here, and that is to show how and why Jon fits into the story whenever and wherever the winter roses are mentioned. I am not claiming that my 'translations' are 100% accurate or even 100% complete. That said, I think my interpretations are a good place to start if you wish to make the case that the winter roses are the key to unlocking parts of Jon's back story. I say "parts" because there is already a good deal of evidence for his parentage. In fact, the reason I'm so fond of this theory is that I've tested it against things we already know or at least assume, where applicable. The method I use there is: 1) start by assuming that any mention of the roses symbolizes Jon Snow; 2) see if that fits with things we already know, or assume; e.g., Lyanna + blood + winter roses (aka, Jon) actually correlates to a 'known/assumed event - Lyanna gave birth to Jon.

No, no such time is given. Indeed, pinning it down on the timeline is almost impossible: There's already a Kingsroad, and the Stark is a Lord, not a King. So it has to be within the last 300 years. But at the same time, Bael's son had to fight against a Bolton to subjugate him, and apparently the Starks last faught the Boltons well before the consolidation of the Seven Kingdoms - reputedly 1000 years ago, although I tend to be sceptical of the pre-Targ timeline.

So indeed, the story of Bael the Bard isn't historical, it's prophetic: It tells the story of Jon Snow: being the grandson of a Lord Stark and the son of a bard who would be king who stole the Stark Lord's daughter; returned to Winterfell and brought up by the Starks without knowing his true heritage; fighting against the Wildlings together (or rather, in the function of) LC of the NW; confronting a Bolton and being killed in the process (well, it certainly looks like it right now...)

Well, kudos! Well thought out. I'd already come to the conclusion just for the fact that 3 KG were willing to die at the Tower of Joy, but you've given me another reason to reread. Thank you, and well done. :thumbsup:

Well, kudos! Well thought out. I'd already come to the conclusion just for the fact that 3 KG were willing to die at the Tower of Joy, but you've given me another reason to reread. Thank you, and well done. :thumbsup:

Thank you. I'm glad you liked it. GRRM has given us many reasons to repeatedly read his work. Beautiful stuff.

A fine analysis, and one with which I agree for the most part. The argument that Lyanna is Jon's mother is very compelling.

Thanks, but of course the best interpretation I've come up with for all of the symbolism is The Moment When All the Smiles Died, which certainly states that Rhaegar is Jon's father. Because, you know, he put the crown of blue roses Jon in Lyanna's lap womb.

Archived