The Most Annoying Phrase

Jaime FTW

Nipples on a breastplate.

The first time it was used I laughed. But, it got old real quick!

But it got good again when Jorah actually showed up with fat pierced nipples on his breastplate. :P

Nuncle

The throne is mine by rights - That's what they all say.

Patchface's catchphrases - At least make it rhyme, even I can do that!

"Dywen sucked his wooden teeth"

"If I look back I am lost." I hate it with a passion. No Dany, if you look back you might learn from your mistakes.

"You know nothing Jon Snow." This actually had payoff that redeemed it. First Ygritte died which made it tragic. Then in Jon's last chapter in ADWD he thinks "They know nothing Ygritte." And then tragic death number two.

"If I look back I am lost." I hate it with a passion. No Dany, if you look back you might learn from your mistakes.

Anything can be misinterpreted with a little bad will, and there's plenty of that in here.

What it means is you can't let your grief and bitterness consume you. You have to look to the present and the future because the past can't be changed.

Arya's "Fear cuts deeper than swords" monologue.

Oh yes, all Syrio's stupid expressions that she keeps repeating. "fierce as a wolverine" "silent as a ghost" "steady as a fridge"

Anything can be misinterpreted with a little bad will, and there's plenty of that in here.

What it means is you can't let your grief and bitterness consume you. You have to look to the present and the future because the past can't be changed.

Yes, the past can't be changed, but a leader needs to be able to look back and reflect upon the decisions they've made and see the mistakes and learn. I understand Dany isn't referring to this when she says "If I look back I am lost." I understand its not about that at all. However, her attitude to leadership and then the statement itself is jarring. The irony of it pisses me off.

I very much agree about 'You know nothing, Jon Snow' - by the seven millionth appearance of that, I was trying to climb into the book so that I could repeatedly punch Ygritte. I did not succeed.

As for a phrase in the prose, 'It was all he/she could do...' gives me a facial twitch.

:tantrum:

It is known

you know nothing jon snow

I just hate it when probabilities or possibilities are presented as facts. People who use this have forgotten all modesty and I just loath that.

WIN WIN WIN WIN!!! I could not agree more!! I get extremely irritated by these sayings. Its the kind of willful ignorance that left people to never question that the world was flat. Even worse is when it is presented as an almost smug wisdom.

"I am but a young girl and know little of the ways of war..."

It's entirely true, yet she-who-must-not-be-named says it mockingly, as if she is experienced.

Oh my god, yes. Its like wut?

Where do whores go is another one i detest.

And the repeated "She's been fucking Lancel, Kettleblack, and Moonboy for all i know."

WIN WIN WIN WIN!!! I could not agree more!! I get extremely irritated by these sayings. Its the kind of willful ignorance that left people to never question that the world was flat. Even worse is when it is presented as an almost smug wisdom.

I don't disagree that the phrases are annoying, but my inner pedant demands that I point out that the world was never (or at least, not since ancient Greece) thought to be flat. That people thought the earth was flat was made up by modern pop historians to make themselves look clever by comparison with the scholars of the Middle Ages.

Archived