The Most Annoying Phrase

Jaime FTW

I like all of the phrases GRRM uses in his books. I like "it is known" and all of the others....ok, the Dany "I am just a young girl who knows little...." does bother me a little.

I think people have read the books so many times waiting for the next book that things begin to bother them that wouldn't if we just read them once and moved on. Instead they have become a way of life!

This is kind of a fun thread, and I figure a good one to "cut my teeth on" (been some years since I joined a forum). I had to laugh at some of these reactions. Anyway, my personal contributions:

Patchface's "I know, I know, oh, oh, oh" is crazy annoying. Argh.

Also, I agree with Rhymes with Chic, the word "dugs" really bugs.

I don't mind "It is known," it's a Dothraki thing, primarily, isn't it? While it *does* get used a lot, I got a kick out of it when Irri and Jhiqui are debating who will win one of the pit fights and whichever says, "So-and-so will win. It is known," and it's like yeah, yeah, yeah - but then, the other handmaiden comes back with, "It is NOT known!" I have to admit that made me snort a little.

"Mummer's fart" and "naked as her name day" have always irked me, for whatever reason.

And if Sam were to call himself "craven" one more time ... fortunately, Jon helped me out and ordered him to stow that talk.

Almost a man/woman grown when stated by an 8 year old kid. No, you're not even close to adulthood.

Well, if a male is a man at 16, then the speaker is halfway there, at least, right? :)

Most of the phrases I can appreciate, because they're used to create a mood or show patterns or help establish characters. I like Tormund's, "Har!", Arya's remembering Syrio's teaching phrases when she needs comfort or courage, and even the "You know nothing, Jon Snow." (Incidentally, I have this fantasy scenario where Jon and Dany have met, and the conversation comes around to the dragons for whatever reason, and she says, "You think you know about dragons? You know nothing, Jon Snow." And Jon goes, "That is it! I have had all I can stomach [there's another repetitive phrase for you] of women telling me I don't know anything! I'm outta here." Then he slings his sword over his shoulder, summons Ghost, and just leaves. Somehow, this scenario just comes to mind now, whenever I consider Dany and Jon meeting up.)

"black wings, black words" - after the 100th person who received a message by raven said that I just wanted to jump into the book, slap the speaker and say, "yes we all know, now read us the message."

Wasn't it "dark wings, dark words"?

Something that made me grit my teeth from AFfC onwards was how suddenly, after three books of never the word being spoken, suddenly every man and his dog is giving "leal service" to their lords. Leal leal leal. Always grated on my ears.

Basically any phrase that is repeated a lot:

Dany's whining on being a little girl. "It is known." "Where whores go." "You know nothing, Jon Snow." And the ones I have forced myself to forget.

As I said before; I dislike repetition. ;)

"You know nothing, Jon Snow" grates on me, because Ygritte reminds Jon approximately once per sentence about his ignorance of wildlings and the land North of the Wall and then completely fails to comprehend that he might not be au fait with wildling courtship rituals. Still, it serves its purpose because without it we wouldn't get Mel's infinitely more awesome utterance of the phrase.

"Dark wings, dark words" and all the permutations of "wherever whores go" too. Plus, I felt that "words are wind" was getting overused by the end of ADwD

Dany's whole "what would a girl know of" (or whatever it was) really buggered me off, mostly because of the smug way in which it was used. She seemed to assume she was a master battle commander.

Patchface's "I know, I know, oh, oh, oh" is crazy annoying. Argh.

LOL! That's new, but I agree.

Another one from me: any word that comes out of Vargo Hoat's mouth. They were not fun to read. Bleh...

Thapireth!!!

Archived