The Most Annoying Phrase

Jaime FTW

I'm pretty sure that was Eratosthenes who first measured the circumference of the earth. It was in Egypt (Alexandria) but it wasn't ancient Egypt and he wasn't Egyptian. It was my understanding that much of this knowledge was forgotten or discarded during the dark ages largely because of ignorance and its disharmony with religious text, but it appears that was an oversimplification of events.

That's the guy! Thanks for the reminder. I cannot find the part about the Alexandria library in Connections - I don't even know if they are all on youtube. It's an incredible show. But then, I <3 history. You know, there was mention of the spherical nature of the Earth in texts from Aristotle I think, which is even earlier. It might not have been Aristotle though. It might have been someone else. Well, things get fuzzy when you get older.

Edit:

As for the actual point of the thread, there are times when I can get into the repeated phrases, like the oh, nuncle! Mine own nuncle, when Asha is belittling Victarion at the Queensmoot made me smile. You know nothing, Jon Snow as Ygritte lay dying was heartbreaking to me. But most of what comes out of the mouths of any Lannister makes me narrow my eyes in suspicion. Does a Lannister always pay his debts? Not that I have seen. Where whores go? She's not even a whore. Any of the cringeworthy POVing from that psycho Cersei. And this is probably by design.

If you 'string these threads' or whatever Ned said.

Really?

You use 'Words are Wind'

but never try to say 'Don't wind (twist) your wind'?

That gets me every time on AGot!

And no Stannis saying, or even Ironborn, or hell any captain, saying "These winds mean storms"

Well, a term I actually find lame is

"Do you want to wake the dragon?"

I'll probably come up *with more when I reread Dany's POV's.... if I ever... :drunk:

I like Dunk is why. I mean, he isn't exactly a brain trust so he has to fall back on clout in the ear, right?

I don't mind it, just surprised that Ser Duncan's catchphrase wasn't mentioned after 181 replies.

LOL! That's new, but I agree.

Another one from me: any word that comes out of Vargo Hoat's mouth. They were not fun to read. Bleh...

Thapireth!!!

I love "thapireth " and "kingthlayer", they always makes me chuckle! To each their own I guess.

You know nothing Jon Snow

"For I am only a young girl and know little of the ways of war."

"If I look back I am lost."

Dany is great at making up annoying phrases. She even uses the most annoying of all:

"I am the blood of the dragon."

:agree: So much. Also her long list of titles that just keep on growing... Dany's chapters drive me crazy.

That's the guy! Thanks for the reminder. I cannot find the part about the Alexandria library in Connections - I don't even know if they are all on youtube. It's an incredible show. But then, I <3 history. You know, there was mention of the spherical nature of the Earth in texts from Aristotle I think, which is even earlier. It might not have been Aristotle though. It might have been someone else. Well, things get fuzzy when you get older.

Aristotle discussed the matter in the treatise 'On the heavens'. He concludes that the Earth is a sphere based on the difference in the positions of the stars relative to where you are on the Earth. He goes into a bit more detail but that's the gist of it.

Am I the only one that had to say many of his sentences out loud?

I have to read them out loud, too. My sister loves hearing his lines.

As for the topic, I found another one, though I doubt you could call it a phrase. Hallyne the pyromancer's hmmm-ing is enough to make me want to punch him. He only appears in what, three or so chapters? but practically every sentence he says has a "hmmmm" break in it.

Archived