The Most Annoying Phrase

Jaime FTW

why you think that everybody should love Dany?

It doesn't have to be love or hate. I love her, I think she is a great character. Not everybody like Elizabeth Bennet either. but I think someone who reads Pride and Prejudice and hates Ms. Bennet is wasting their time. Just like I think people who "HATE' Dany in these books and skip her chapters are also wasting their time. She is the main female heroine.

And like I said, so far I have not seen any females saying that, only men.

Is it just me or is nuncle used inconsistently in the series? The word kinda bothered me alot because I couldn't figure if it was a typo. Through the first three books it did not show up (according to my memory), then most of the characters said it. Am I misremembering?

of course it's not, but I am just saying if you hate Dany then why read? The Mists of Avalon used to be my favorite book, but now I literally can't even read it because I hate Gwenyfar so much, her character just sucks to no end and I literally can't even read it. She is not the main character at all, but she is a really big one. I just don't see the point of reading something you don't love every minute of. why waste your time. Cuz let me tell you something about these books. Dany is one of the 2 main heroes of the story, no matter how much we discuss that not being true on here, it IS true.

The whole freakin story is basically about her families return to power with her at the mast of the ship.

she is a great character!! and if ppl are posting that they hate her then I conclude that those ppl are men and can't stand a powerful woman character. Unless there are some females on here that would concur they hate Dany and skip her chapters when they read????

:bang: Because there's a bazillion brilliant things going on in the story that have nothing to do with her. The whole Meereen thing as boring as shit.

Your second point is down right insulting. To suggest I don't enjoy Dany's chapters because I have a problem with powerful women is ridiculous. There are numerous reasons people don't like Dany, many have been mentioned in this thread. Just because people don't agree with you, it's not acceptable to deem them as sexists.

:bang: Because there's a bazillion brilliant things going on in the story that have nothing to do with her. The whole Meereen thing as boring as shit.

Your second point is down right insulting. To suggest I don't enjoy Dany's chapters because I have a problem with powerful women is ridiculous. There are numerous reasons people don't like Dany, many have been mentioned in this thread. Just because people don't agree with you, it's not acceptable to deem them as sexists.

Ok fine, hate her all you want. continue to read books of which you hate parts, knock yourself out. All I was saying is that all the people who keep saying they hate Dany on this thread just happen to be Males. I'm sure its a coincidence.

Ok fine, hate her all you want. continue to read books of which you hate parts, knock yourself out. All I was saying is that all the people who keep saying they hate Dany on this thread just happen to be Males. I'm sure its a coincidence.

It's not necessarily her parts people hate, it's her as a character - and it's not just males.

I also strongly dispute you have to enjoy every single part of the story or there's no point reading. This just isn't realistic. In all kinds of entertainment be it books, films or music, there will always be small parts people don't enjoy but this doesn't ruin the whole thing.

alol let's bring sexism into this, shall we? No. I'm a woman. I hate Dany in ADwD

Okay... what?

This is a completely ridiculous argument. Randomly labeling people who don't like a character as sexist contributes absolutely nothing meaningful to your defense, and is generally stupid. Also, this has nothing to do with the thread.

On-topic: I always saw Nuncle the way I saw Ser; as kind of a Westerosi spelling tic. I hate "You know nothing, Jon Snow," because she uses it even in situations where it's not particularly appropriate, and the phrase was pretty condescending to being with.

of course it's not, but I am just saying if you hate Dany then why read? The Mists of Avalon used to be my favorite book, but now I literally can't even read it because I hate Gwenyfar so much, her character just sucks to no end and I literally can't even read it. She is not the main character at all, but she is a really big one. I just don't see the point of reading something you don't love every minute of. why waste your time. Cuz let me tell you something about these books. Dany is one of the 2 main heroes of the story, no matter how much we discuss that not being true on here, it IS true.

The whole freakin story is basically about her families return to power with her at the mast of the ship.

she is a great character!! and if ppl are posting that they hate her then I conclude that those ppl are men and can't stand a powerful woman character. Unless there are some females on here that would concur they hate Dany and skip her chapters when they read????

Seriously? Now you're making me question whether I should like Dany at all if this is the argument made in her favor. Some people like Tyrion, some people loath him. But he's GRRM's Favorite. So? I could hate Tyrion and still enjoy the book.

People have different people they like in life. Everybody has been loved, liked, disliked, or hated. That people can dislike Dany and still love ASOIAF speaks to the written ability of GRRM, it does not mean that they are just wasting their time. If Dany can be loved, she can be hated as well.

Personally I love strong women, but Dany doesn't stand out very much compared to other major characters for me anymore since after ASOS.

well as soon as a female tells me she hates Dany like the others were saying I will be proven wrong.

Hate is such a strong word but I definitely dislike Daenarys. She would be one of my least favourite characters of the series. I found it a struggle reading her chapters in ADwD. I wasn't particularly fond of her before but that book just sealed it.

Back on topic I forgot to add 'Nipples on a breastplate' to my list. There was just too much repitition.

And I'm with Illyrio: I'm sick of hearing the noble families refered to by their sigils.

Damn straight. Illyrio for Iron Throne 2016! Believe in Westeros!

That aside, whenever Tyrion is scratching his scar / crust / what's left of his nose. Like Arya chewing on her lip, it gets repeated so often you start to think George puts it in there just to make the chapters longer...

That's such a sexist thing to say against men. Truthfully, I think the amount of people that dislike Dany are mixed men and women. We dislike her because her arc is stupid and boring right now. She has declined in popularity, there's nothing wrong with that. I don't skip any chapters because that defeats the purpose of reading, but every time I reach a Daenerys chapter I roll my eyes and say, "all right, let's get this crap over with." I used to love Dany but she needs to grow the hell up right now.

The word "dugs". :ack:

:agree:

Makes me shudder every time...

Personally, I don't mind all the repeating lines. As GRRM has explained, it's a technic he picked up from Stephen King, whom I am also a big fan of...

The sayings that grate on me are:

must needs, lickspittle and as useless as nipples on a breastplate...

That's such a sexist thing to say against men. Truthfully, I think the amount of people that dislike Dany are mixed men and women. We dislike her because her arc is stupid and boring right now. She has declined in popularity, there's nothing wrong with that. I don't skip any chapters because that defeats the purpose of reading, but every time I reach a Daenerys chapter I roll my eyes and say, "all right, let's get this crap over with." I used to love Dany but she needs to grow the hell up right now.

That pretty much sums it up for me as well. I enjoyed her chapters very much until she started floundering around and making (IMO) very stupid decisions........ It just got tedious in ADWD! I will say this though - I was a bit taken aback by the amount of hate she attracts when I first came to these boards, but I have found this is true with most of the pivotal characters in ASOIAF. I think important characters just attract controversy.

A lot of people hate on Jon. I don't understand it at all. Even after listening to their very well articulated reasonings. It's like a different language to me. But that doesn't mean I think they are dumb, sexist, racist, etc. The HaterAid is a pretty subjective beverage in this corner of the Internet.

Archived