The Most Annoying Phrase

Jaime FTW

Oh, and RE Dany Hate: Suzanna Stormborn, i'm a girl and not even far from Daenerys' age, and i can't stand her. That's absolutely ridiculous to say only males dislike Dany and that it's only because she's a "strong woman"- so do they hate Arya, Asha, Cersei, Brienne and Val, too?

A great degree of the hatred for Dany is also because she, for a great deal of the series, isn't a strong female character. She is completely incapable of standing up for herself in any way until she has a dream that somehow miraculously alters her personality and perspective. She's good-hearted, yes, but also effectively... well, useless. She literally spent four books faffing around in Essos doing absolutely nothing productive, relying on her looks and dragons to be offered a place in people's homes. Do you think Xaro Xhoan Daxos liked her for her personality? Do you think Hizhdar Zo Loraq wanted her to be his wife because she didn't seem like she'd be a nice, tame queen?

Burning people doesn't make you strong, it makes you ruthless. Being unnecessarily uppity and imagining insults isn't brave, it's stupid.

That irked me beyond belief. But... you... you just... you just said not two minutes ago that you were but a young girl and didn't understand war. So why, pray tell, is it suddenly insulting to be called a woman? Surely he's just reiterating exactly what you called yourself in a more respectful way? There's nothing "strong" about biting someone's head off for insulting you when he didn't. I don't care if he was being an asshole, she was too. Doesn't that whole passage suggest she's got some weird ideology where it's good to be a girl when it suits her, but nobody else can point out her gender without it being sexist? Somewhat like your viewpoint, methinks.

I'll grant you that Dany is not an all-round terrible character. She's fierce and sometimes very brave, and determined to try and make the world a better place. She's genuinely kind-hearted and i believe she means well... but that doesn't make her altogether likeable. You can love her for her good qualities, and others can hate her for her bad ones. But you really can't accuse anyone who dislikes Dany of being sexist, that theory is completely disproven by the fact that:

1. Many people who dislike Dany are girls. How can that be sexist?

2. They, along with the male Dany-haters, do like other "strong" (as you call her) female characters, and

3. Again, most people who hate Dany are annoyed by her indecision, how terrible her decisions are when she makes them, and her obsession with 50 Shades of Daario. That's not to say that we don't like her because she's a sexually liberated character- i for one really like Cersei and Arianne. The reason the Daario thing annoys a lot of people that is that she's always harping on about being a Queen and doing what's right for her people, but she can't even stay loyal to her husband for the sake of a peaceful marriage.

EPIC takedown!

Loved the 'faffing around in Essos' and so on target with her being a weak character.

Personally I only really started to dread her chapters in ADWD, but even before so much of her arc seems to have been a rough sketch, the locales, the peoples are more caricatures... and so it was only a matter of time before she (and her pet phrases) became caricatures as well. GRRM can only do so much and including Essos was a big undertaking, but I for one won't be all that sad when/if we depart it for good.

on topic: I am shocked, shocked I tell you that no one has mentioned

'half a hundred'

ugh, if only he had used the phrase 'only' half a hundred times he would have met his quota in AGOT, but no... it seems we must hear it over and over and over

this is definitely a GRRM tic, as it is not associated with any character and so cannot be part of 'character development'

2nd place goes to 'dugs' - never heard the term before, now wish I never had lol

I have to read them out loud, too. My sister loves hearing his lines.

As for the topic, I found another one, though I doubt you could call it a phrase. Hallyne the pyromancer's hmmm-ing is enough to make me want to punch him. He only appears in what, three or so chapters? but practically every sentence he says has a "hmmmm" break in it.

I actually met someone IRL who had this particular verbal tic. It was SO hard to have a conversation. As soon as I read about Hallyne it immediately brought it all back, hmmmm.

Edit: and has no one mentioned "usurper's dogs" yet? That one drives me nuts!

• 2 months later...

This. Just shut up already, Tyrion.

I am so hoping Tyrion meets Tysha but she kills him for what he did to her.

I am so over Tyrion after the end of ASoS and all of ADwD. I just can't anymore.

I loathe "if I look back, I am lost" so much especially because Dany is extremely paranoid by all the prophecies she's heard, yet can't seem to grasp that the little mantra of hers goes completely against Quaithe's whole "To go north, you must journey south, to reach the west you must go east. To go forward you must go back and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow."

C'mon, Dany.

I still say people mostly hate Dany because she thinks with her genitals and girls aren't supposed to do that, penises have a monopoly.

I don't believe that. I like Dany well enough, but she definitely has mucked up in the Ghiscari peninsula in many ways. But pls don't make this a dany-bashing or pro-dany thread- there's a bunch of other threads for that.

I don't believe that. I like Dany well enough, but she definitely has mucked up in the Ghiscari peninsula in many ways. But pls don't make this a dany-bashing or pro-dany thread- there's a bunch of other threads for that.

It's one of my pet poke points. Sorry. >.>

Pretty much anything Sweetrobin says gives me an urge to make him "fly". Little shit. Just die already.

Anything to do with the Light of the Seven

We do not sow - that's great. So you add nothing to society and you're proud of it. Good work.

Nuncle

Wherever whores go...

I didn't hate "It is known" until I really got into the forums.

When Dany says "I am the blood of the Dragon" (which she does half of her entire chapters)I really want to kill her.Stupid summer child.

Add the "Don't presume to lecture me" line.

No I am not a sexist. I love Ayra, Osha, UnCat, Meera, Brienne, and I am beginning to appreciate Asha and Sansa. Of course I cannot forget the most beloved female who, in my opinion, is Lyanna Stark.

The above is in response to the individual(s) pulling the sexist card. No I am not intimidated by strong women, I just do not like annoying little arrogant prats who thinks they are the 7's gift of creation. She gets under my skin just as much as Cersei, if not more. I really don't have an issue with her character ruining everything she touches, nor do I care much about her unwillingness to listen to people who know what they are speaking about. These issues will come back to haunt her eventually. I, however, cannot stand fictional or real people who act like entitled, spoiled brats.

Archived