HBO Sends Out a Synopsis

Westeros

A review of the first episode stated that some of the characters aren't in it. Notably Theon, Jamie, Bran and possibly Arya. Apparently this season will spend more time with each arc rather than jumping around like last season.

Not entirely sure. The first episode of season 3 focuses on 6 storylines: Dany, Jon, NIght's Watch, Dragonstone, Robb and King's Landing (while missing 4: Arya, Bran, Jaime/Brienne and Theon).

The first episode of season 2 focused on... 6 storylines as well!:Dany, Jon, Dragonstone, Robb, King's Landing and Bran (which a final shot of Arya).

They're not focusing on less storylines per season: there are just more storylines this year.

I'm so pleased they are bringing back Ian McElhinney as Barristan the Bold. I truly enjoy the character and appreciated Ian's performance in the first season. I'm looking forward to learning how the tv show will introduce Barristan to Dany. I like so many aspects to this book thread, such as - Illyrio sending the boats to Qarth for Dany and Jorah convincing her to take the boats to Slaver's Bay, Barristan foiling the assassination attempt by the Sorrowful Man while Dany and Jorah are watching him suspiciously, and Barristan waiting to reveal his identity in order to take Dany's true measure. It will be very interesting to see what they use and what they don't. Ten days and counting!

That is great news, and I hope they keep slimming down the plot lines per episode to only 2 or 3. Otherwise episodes of a show this large will just turn into a glorified clip show.

2/3 would be really tough given the amount of storylines going on at the same time. But I do think it's a good idea to have less storylines per episode instead of every character appearing in every ep.

I'm so pleased they are bringing back Ian McElhinney as Barristan the Bold. I truly enjoy the character and appreciated Ian's performance in the first season. I'm looking forward to learning how the tv show will introduce Barristan to Dany. I like so many aspects to this book thread, such as - Illyrio sending the boats to Qarth for Dany and Jorah convincing her to take the boats to Slaver's Bay, Barristan foiling the assassination attempt by the Sorrowful Man while Dany and Jorah are watching him suspiciously, and Barristan waiting to reveal his identity in order to take Dany's true measure. It will be very interesting to see what they use and what they don't. Ten days and counting!

Episode 1 spoiler:

He will save Dany from the assassin and reveal himself during the final scene of episode 1.

"Reveal himself" as Barristan? That sucks....

I think I read that. Also WiC described the final scene as 'an action sequence with a thrilling reveal.'

Does it really make any difference in the grand scheme of things? It's clearly going to be Selmy for any audience member paying attention. Why prolong a mystery that's not really a mystery?

This. ^

It's a TV Show and it has to approach it in different ways.

Does it really make any difference in the grand scheme of things? It's clearly going to be Selmy for any audience member paying attention. Why prolong a mystery that's not really a mystery?

I agree... But at the same time I think it's important that Barristan waits until Dany ~proves herself~ before he reveals his true identity. But if they were going to keep the mystery just for Daenerys, they'd have to make it really obvious to viewers and I'm not sure how they'd do that. So it's probably best to just be open about it.

I do have one major problem, though - why on earth is Barristan in Astapor? There is absolutely no logical explanation. In episode 8, Jorah tells Dany he's found a "ship with a good captain" that "leaves for Astapor tomorrow". So at a stretch Jorah could have sent a message to Illyrio one day before they boarded the ship. But is that enough time for Illyrio to receive the message and send Barristan? Maybe. But it's definitely not enough time for Barristan to actually reach Astapor at the same time as Dany. So will an explanation be offered?

I do have one major problem, though - why on earth is Barristan in Astapor? There is absolutely no logical explanation. In episode 8, Jorah tells Dany he's found a "ship with a good captain" that "leaves for Astapor tomorrow". So at a stretch Jorah could have sent a message to Illyrio one day before they boarded the ship. But is that enough time for Illyrio to receive the message and send Barristan? Maybe. But it's definitely not enough time for Barristan to actually reach Astapor at the same time as Dany. So will an explanation be offered?

Dany: "So ye, how did you know I was gonna be here?"

Barristan: "Uhm ye I was traveling to Qarth by way of Volantis, and heard that the mother of dragons was on her way to Astapor".

Dany: "OK, so how are you here before me then? Seems rather weird timing-wise"

Barristan: "SHHHHH, let's not confuse the audience with silly details shall we? :) "

Dany: "So ye, how did you know I was gonna be here?"

Barristan: "Uhm ye I was traveling to Qarth by way of Volantis, and heard that the mother of dragons was on her way to Astapor".

Dany: "OK, so how are you here before me then? Seems rather weird timing-wise"

Barristan: "SHHHHH, let's not confuse the audience with silly details shall we? :) "

Or he could say his ship stopped in Astapor to take on supplies while on the way to Qarth (or he hitch-hiked on a trading vessel), and he just happened to crash into Dany. More contrived coincidences have happened.

Yep, Astapor seems like a perfectly reasonable trading stopover between Qarth and the Free Cities. I don't think it is that surprising that they could run into each other. Besides, Illyrio could anticipate that Dany would be heading to Astapor to buy some soldiers anyway.

I really hope they concentrate on fewer storylines per episode. I thought one reason Blackwater worked so well was because we got a clearer sense of progression. I'm cool with not seeing every character in every episode, if their time in their respective episodes is more memorable.

Also, a thought to Littlefinger. It might have been the writers didn't think his shenanigans would be as satisfying of a mystery as they are in the book. Compared to the books, the TV show has far less time to work with. If you show him here and there and barely at all in season 2, it wouldn't connect as well with season 3. Plus, he's a sneaky advisor. In TV, it's a trope he's way more scheming than he lets on, so why bother to hide it.

However, one thing they might be going for is to deliver a wham when you realize just how powerful he can be. He isn't setting out to be the adviser of the most powerful person, he has way more of his own plots that don't involve Lannisters/whoever rising to power. In season 2, I don't think his fear was meant to be affected when Cersei chastised him. So, at the moment, he's a sneaky dude with issues, but his most devious acts are helping Cersei take down Ned (backing the winning horse) and giving Ros that awful monologue about happiness. When suddenly he's yanking chains and pulling strings left and right, it'll be a comparable impact. Also, given his already creepier moments with Sansa, the "AAAH CREEPER!!!" scenes will be ICK. I'm just thinking of how awesome/disturbing/creeptastic the snow castle scene will be. Just please don't turn the Aerie into a brothel.

You guys are all forgetting what happened in the show.

Illaryio doesn't give her a ship, she uses the gold and jewels taken from Xaro's house to purchase "a small ship"

We know that Illaryio most likely knows that Dany is in Quarth because Varys and Tyrion have the conversation about the "little bird from Quarth"

so he's in the process of sending an "envoy" to bring her to Pentos.

Or she could just have been in Astapor long enough for Barristan to get there before they meet.

I remember reading a review of the episode that said Dany's first scene was on the boat, with scenes of her visiting the Unsullied and the final scene with Barristan. This could definitely leave enough time for Illyrio to find out she's heading to Astapor, then send Barristan. Given she does some stuff in Astapor first it could give him enough time to get there.

Not entirely sure. The first episode of season 3 focuses on 6 storylines: Dany, Jon, NIght's Watch, Dragonstone, Robb and King's Landing (while missing 4: Arya, Bran, Jaime/Brienne and Theon).

The first episode of season 2 focused on... 6 storylines as well!:Dany, Jon, Dragonstone, Robb, King's Landing and Bran (which a final shot of Arya).

They're not focusing on less storylines per season: there are just more storylines this year.

That may be true, but the reviewer stated that the scenes at each location were longer, I presume this is rather than revisiting a character multiple times in a single episode.

That may be true, but the reviewer stated that the scenes at each location were longer, I presume this is rather than revisiting a character multiple times in a single episode.

Or if could just be the subjective impression: some storylines are missing, and therefore, it seems that we are spending more time with the rest of them, but in any case, the lenght and the number of the storylines featured in this season's premier is the same as in the previous season.

Or if could just be the subjective impression: some storylines are missing, and therefore, it seems that we are spending more time with the rest of them, but in any case, the lenght and the number of the storylines featured in this season's premier is the same as in the previous season.

That's possible, but I'm willing to give the interviewer the benefit of the doubt untill such a time a he is proven wrong.

Not to jump on the "fight for Daenerys" wagon or anything, but I wanted to point something out. Many are saying it's the acting, some the directing, and others say she is doing just great in her role. Those are all opinions, and I'm fine with all of them to be honest. We all enjoy different parts of the show and have gripes with others. But what I wanted to bring up was the complications of how young Dany is in the books and even in the show (where she is a bit older). Her brother is dead, she was married off to Drogo, and now she is suddenly the mother of dragons and a leader....after being "raised" by her idiot brother. I read the books years ago and have reread them again to get ready for the HBO series, and to be honest, in the books Dany drove me CRAZY at times because she made such stupid choices and her maturity just wasn't there. But then again....she was a teenager everyone! A teenager. Perhaps the directors and Emilia are struggling with showing how young and naïve Dany is to the world, while also at times they are trying to show her "dragon blood" attitude and ability to lead. It is no easy task to play someone who will be a great leader one day but at the moment they are nothing more than a child. Same goes for Snow. He is young too. GRRMs characters are very complex, and to show the transitions in character development over a few hours is probably not easy, especially when each character only has so much face time on camera. Emilia, Jon and Arya probably have the most difficult roles to play because they go through so much at such a young age, and their characters develop on a variety of levels throughout the books/show.

Archived