HBO Sends Out a Synopsis

Westeros

I am surprised that they are seemingly putting Dracarys in Episode 4, whereas I was thinking more 5 or 6. Not really sure how I feel about it, but I think it's a given that Dany will be missing from a couple of episodes (as has been the case in S1 and S2.) so this will probably only change when those gaps are.

Reckon this could be the scene in which 'Sansa says too much'.

D&D have said that's a scene from ep1. I guess they could have moved the scene to ep2 later, but I doubt it because we already know there is LF/Sansa scene in the premiere.

Well, they could technically just be teasing us with Dracarys, using weasel words to make it seem like it's episode 4. The idea is kind of growing on me though. I mean for some time we've been assuming that Dany would be meeting Arstan in E1, but now it seems she's on a ship straight from the start which means E4 is not entirely unreasonable as there's one less scene to cover. I think D+D may also be trying to rectify one of the main complaints of S2 which was that not a lot really happened until the end. This is mainly a fault of COK in itself, so it was kind of unavoidable, but in many ways the first half of ASOS has the same problem, so I guess they're moving shocking events like the mutiny and Dracarys earlier on than in the books to remedy this.

I think they could still have Dontos involved if they wanted. They did still have him around for Blackwater in the background.

It could be that Littlefinger talks to Sansa and tells her Dontos will be their go-between. The only thing that is changed is that Sansa knows up front that they are working together and we don't wonder why she trusts this drunken fool because we don't have the benefit of her inner thoughts.

That said, I won't be upset if he's just cut entirely.

I think Dontos should be left in. If Dontos is cut out, then who will be singing The Bear and The Maiden song? Or am I remembering incorrectly that it was Dontos who did? At any rate, he has already figured fairly prominently in a prior episode when Sansa intervened to spare him from Joffrey, so I think it would be important for them to carry that thread forward when Sansa is hoping to escape. I also think Dontos is important because the scene where Littlefinger is actually coming to the dramatic rescue of Sansa, treating her more or less like a romantic interest (which she does indeed turn out to be) is made even more powerful because then we clearly see LF's true and ruthless nature when he kills Dontos. And it's an appropriate foreshadowing of what ultimately happens to Lysa. Before these scenes, I don't think we've directly seen LF actually murder someone.

I think Dontos should be left in. If Dontos is cut out, then who will be singing The Bear and The Maiden song? Or am I remembering incorrectly that it was Dontos who did? At any rate, he has already figured fairly prominently in a prior episode when Sansa intervened to spare him from Joffrey, so I think it would be important for them to carry that thread forward when Sansa is hoping to escape. I also think Dontos is important because the scene where Littlefinger is actually coming to the dramatic rescue of Sansa, treating her more or less like a romantic interest (which she does indeed turn out to be) is made even more powerful because then we clearly see LF's true and ruthless nature when he kills Dontos. And it's an appropriate foreshadowing of what ultimately happens to Lysa. Before these scenes, I don't think we've directly seen LF actually murder someone.

It's butterbumps who sings the Bear and the Maiden Fair, and I hope we at least have an extra cast as him to sing during Sansa and QOT's meeting.

In any case Dontos is confirmed to have been written out. Originally he was going to have a larger role in S2 but was written out there as well, perhaps because they didn't think he could act, or because they were afraid of introducing too many characters.

Now it seems that Ros will be acting as a middle-woman between Sansa and LF, which could indicate she'll be killed off in early season 4 like Dontos is in the books. Presumably this will somehow tie into Varys' business deal with Ros, though God knows how because Varys would likely want to do something about that situation. On the other hand he might be in favour of Sansa escaping KL, in order to prolong the War for Dany's arrival, so it's not entirely unrealistic that he would let LF's plan pan out.

It's butterbumps who sings the Bear and the Maiden Fair, and I hope we at least have an extra cast as him to sing during Sansa and QOT's meeting.

They've moved the meeting outside IIRC so there would be no need for anyone to sing over them. The only reason Butterbumps was singing in the book was because the QoT was trying to ensure that Varys' Little Birds could not overhear what Sansa was saying. If they're outdoors, this is unnecessary.

In any case Dontos is confirmed to have been written out. Originally he was going to have a larger role in S2 but was written out there as well, perhaps because they didn't think he could act, or because they were afraid of introducing too many characters.

Now it seems that Ros will be acting as a middle-woman between Sansa and LF, which could indicate she'll be killed off in early season 4 like Dontos is in the books. Presumably this will somehow tie into Varys' business deal with Ros, though God knows how because Varys would likely want to do something about that situation. On the other hand he might be in favour of Sansa escaping KL, in order to prolong the War for Dany's arrival, so it's not entirely unrealistic that he would let LF's plan pan out.

I'm really not sure why everyone thinks Ros is replacing Dontos. I thought it was quite clear from the scene between Ros and Varys in the finale and the leaked on-set footage we've seen that Littlefinger is taking Ros with him to the Vale. In the leaked footage, Littlefinger is talking to Sansa at the docks. Ros is with him, but she isn't part of the conversation. So to me that suggests that Littlefinger is leaving King's Landing in episode one (this fits with Tyrion being given the Master of Coin role in episode three), but is promising to free Sansa at some point. There is no need for Ros to take Dontos' role if Littlefinger is being so obvious about helping her.

They've moved the meeting outside IIRC so there would be no need for anyone to sing over them. The only reason Butterbumps was singing in the book was because the QoT was trying to ensure that Varys' Little Birds could not overhear what Sansa was saying. If they're outdoors, this is unnecessary.

I'm really not sure why everyone thinks Ros is replacing Dontos. I thought it was quite clear from the scene between Ros and Varys in the finale and the leaked on-set footage we've seen that Littlefinger is taking Ros with him to the Vale. In the leaked footage, Littlefinger is talking to Sansa at the docks. Ros is with him, but she isn't part of the conversation. So to me that suggests that Littlefinger is leaving King's Landing in episode one (this fits with Tyrion being given the Master of Coin role in episode three), but is promising to free Sansa at some point. There is no need for Ros to take Dontos' role if Littlefinger is being so obvious about helping her.

At the very least they need somebody to give Sansa the hairnet, unless they're dropping that completely and just using plain old poison. But I think it would be a mistake to get rid of such a cool means of murder, plus it's what makes Sansa realise that the QOT did the poisoning. For all we know LF is taking his leave of Sansa and KL and then says "this is Ros, she'll be our go-between while we're away." Also I know that D+D aren't massively keen on Sansa, but if they completely do away with her little Godswood meetings, that's quite a few perfectly good scenes of hers being stripped away, and her material is already being stretched with the GW in E8. Finally I'm having a hard time thinking what Ros can be doing in The Vale, whereas in KL she has some decent potential material at least.

The big question for me is whether HBO will show the details immediately following the RW. HBO clearly aren't afraid to show "details", but It happened off camera in the book out of necessity. I wonder if HBO will go right ahead and show what we have all been trying to imagine since we read about it?

Filming that would surely be the biggest event on TV ever.

The big question for me is whether HBO will show the details immediately following the RW. HBO clearly aren't afraid to show "details", but It happened off camera in the book out of necessity. I wonder if HBO will go right ahead and show what we have all been trying to imagine since we read about it?

Filming that would surely be the biggest event on TV ever.

I think we'll probably see pretty much what Dany saw in the HoU in the book, and didn't know what she was looking at, complete with the wolfhead king.

We had a decapitation in the first 15min of the pilot episode. We had the Mountain decapitate his horse. They had two little burnt kids hanging last season. I don't think they're going to spare us much.

Somewhere last year, I read that the writers are replacing Dontos scenes with Littlefinger.

Also episode 5 about "Robb's betrayal" in an extender trailer, Robb sees devastation in some town/castle yard and its obvious that his followers were killed due to some betrayal and both he and Catelyn swear to make "them know how it feels to loose someone" and I think they are referring to something that happens in S3 recently not s1 or s2 deaths. Its definately not Karstark since at most he was guilty of is killing some young Lannister prisoners, and Robb considered it a "betrayal" since he did it behind his back.

Episode 9 is called The Rains of Castamere and since it played in the book during RW its obvious that thats the RW episode

Also episode 5 about "Robb's betrayal" in an extender trailer, Robb sees devastation in some town/castle yard and its obvious that his followers were killed due to some betrayal and both he and Catelyn swear to make "them know how it feels to loose someone" and I think they are referring to something that happens in S3 recently not s1 or s2 deaths. Its definately not Karstark since at most he was guilty of is killing some young Lannister prisoners, and Robb considered it a "betrayal" since he did it behind his back.

Episode 9 is called The Rains of Castamere and since it played in the book during RW its obvious that thats the RW episode

Robb will take Harrenhall, hence the dead bodies in a castle (E1/E2). He'll leave Roose there and leave for Riverrun (E2/E3). We get introduced to Edmure and Brynden during Hoster's funeral (E3/E4). We'll get Karstarks betrayal afterwards (E5) and his execution (E6). Robb will leave for The Twins afterwards (E7/E8) to attend to the wedding (E9).

I'll probably be wrong, but it makes sense. :P

I'm pretty sure that every major character will at minimum make an appearance in the first episode whether they get 30 minutes of screen time or 10 seconds of screen time.

A review of the first episode stated that some of the characters aren't in it. Notably Theon, Jamie, Bran and possibly Arya. Apparently this season will spend more time with each arc rather than jumping around like last season.

A review of the first episode stated that some of the characters aren't in it. Notably Theon, Jamie, Bran and possibly Arya. Apparently this season will spend more time with each arc rather than jumping around like last season.

That is great news, and I hope they keep slimming down the plot lines per episode to only 2 or 3. Otherwise episodes of a show this large will just turn into a glorified clip show.

Archived