Missandei is a Faceless Man/Woman perhaps Izembaro

We have flowered in Braavos amongst these northern fogs, but we first took root in Valyria, amongst the wretched slaves who toiled in the deep mines beneath the Fourteen Flames that lit the Freehold’s nights of old. Most mines are dank and chilly places, cut from cold dead stone, but the Fourteen Flames were living mountains with veins of molten rock and hearts offire. So the mines of old Valyria were always hot, and they grew hotter as the shafts were driven deeper, ever deeper. The slaves toiled in an oven. The rocks around them were too hot to touch. The air stank of brimstone and would sear their lungs as they breathed it. The soles of their feet would burn and blister, even through the thickest sandals. Sometimes, when they broke through a wall in search of gold, they would find steam instead, or boiling water, or molten rock. Certain shafts were cut so low that the slaves could not stand upright, but had to crawl or bend. And there were wyrms in that red darkness too.”

“Earthworms?” she asked, frowning.

Firewyrms. Some say they are akin to dragons, for wyrms breathe fire too.

Sorry for any confusion. I meant that because the story about "slaves" from KM did not deliberately specify whether the slaves were human or dragon, all he used was the word "slaves", then the dragons were likely slaves also. The only species the KM specifies distinctly and as separate from the slaves are the firewryms.

Dragons were found in the fourteen flames of Valyria, which are the volcanoes. The mines were in the fiery hot depths of the volcanoes so if you're going to bind a dragon to put them to work, I'm saying its logical to assume they were working in hot mines too because they are naturally suited for them.

The underlined seems to disqualify the dragons. Unless, similar to Varys, they used little bird dragons. I can't go for dragons being the slaves, as much as I'd like to..

The underlined seems to disqualify the dragons. Unless, similar to Varys, they used little bird dragons. I can't go for dragons being the slaves, as much as I'd like to..

hmmm. I think I can understand the idea of dragon's being enslaved - but I don't necessarily think it was in the caves...I mean, what were they mining in the caves? Perhaps the dragons were enslaved, and used, but not actually in the caves, perhaps they were used in another way.

Not all caves are small, consider the tunnels from Bran's chapter:

The girl child was waiting for them, standing on one end of a natural bridge above a yawning chasm. Down below in the darkness, Bran heard the sound of rushing water. An underground river.

also:

Before long he was flying around the cavern, weaving through the long stone teeth that hung down from the ceiling, even flapping out over the abyss and swooping down into its cold black depths.

The caves were timeless, vast, silent. They were home to more than three score living singers and the bones of thousands dead, and extended far below the hollow hill. “Men should not go wandering in this place,” Leaf warned them. “The river you hear is swift and black, and flows down and down to a sunless sea. And there are passages that go even deeper, bottomless pits and sudden shafts, forgotten ways that lead to the very center of the earth.

Also the firewyrms, which tunnel through the earth have been described as growing to immense sizes. So a large firewyrm would make large tunnels. If they originate in the fourteen fires then the likelyhood of the large firewyrms and large tunnels being there is extremely high.

Forget fantasy novels, have you seen a modern mine now-a-days? Its BIIIIIIIG!!! I've been in an old converted mine that was re-purposed from an old mine. It was huge inside, and those were from mines closed in decades past. Multiple organizations/companies each leased different areas for their own uses and there were many, many people parking above and some even driving in to the underground parking lots below. Even a small mine makes big holes and can take down a mountain. Source: me - daughter of junior prospector who took down a small mountain and has also visited a re-purposed mine.

hmmm. I think I can understand the idea of dragon's being enslaved - but I don't necessarily think it was in the caves...I mean, what were they mining in the caves? Perhaps the dragons were enslaved, and used, but not actually in the caves, perhaps they were used in another way.

Stuff that humans alone couldn't get from the caves. They were poor shepherds and didn't mine anything on the continent before they found the dragons. Once they had dragons they got super rich, had slavery and started mining. Why weren't they mining before they had dragons if all it took to do it was humans?

Valyrian steel, along with all the regular minerals may have been mined. The melting point of metals like gold is actually quite low though, so possibly most metals would have been molten and too hot to handle (by humans) in a volcano setting.

edit: removed a word for clarity

Soooo, he shows you text about how small passages are in the mines of Old Valarya and your response is:

"Caves and mines are big, think about it!"

No good can come from you being to emotionally invested/attached to your own theory/thread. You are not entertaining the possibility that maybe, just maybe, Missandei is who she seems to be... I mean would Arya be sent to apprentice w/ a deep undercover FM when the stakes are so high? :dunno: Maybe we give them too much credit and they are really a bunch of idiots.

EDIT: *The FM are idiots*. I wanted to edit this as it just seemed too rude when I re-read the post... OP you seem like a very informed reader. I just don't want you to get too sold on your own theory which can hamper your genius.

Maybe you can clear up for me the gaps in the theory by giving me your opinion on a few questions:

1. Where do you think the FM got the info that Dany would go to Astapor? It's a pretty spur of the moment type decision IIRC.

2. What do you think their ultimate goal is? ie obtaining dragons/destroying dragons/serving Dany/assasinating Dany.

3. What's in it for them? Did someone pay all they had to murder Dany/Dragons? Could it possibly be Pryat Pree (if you don't believe Euron fed him to the sea)? Or do you believe there is a hidden FM agenda that the readers are not in on yet?

Soooo, he shows you text about how small passages are in the mines of Old Valarya and your response is:

They can be really big. And I think the three quotes from Bran talking about the dark abyss in the underground caverns isn't just me saying "think about it" as a response. Its quoting from the book. :shocked:

The counterargument is based on one phrase telling us they were small for the slaves. Not "the human slaves". The slaves.

No good can come from you being to emotionally invested/attached to your own theory/thread.

Why are you so invested in convincing me I'm wrong? I just really like this aspect of the story and really like this theory. People respond asking questions and I reply because I don't want to leave them hanging. I appreciate an opposing opinion, including yours, because it can lead to a good debate where we can go through all the nuances and details, (and I really like details :laugh: ) but now you're treading into being personally insulting.

And "no good can come of it"? What good do you expect to have come out of these forums? I've seen you post this phrase in another thread now too, what do you expect? World Peace amongst GOT fans??? :laugh:

You are not entertaining the possibility that maybe, just maybe, Missandei is who she seems to be... I mean would Arya be sent to apprentice w/ a deep undercover FM when the stakes are so high? :dunno: Maybe we give them too much credit and they are really a bunch of idiots.

Your language is insulting. You can entertain the opposite if you want, I've considered it and just happen to be on the other side of it, which is not a crime just a viewpoint. Please realize you have strayed into criticizing the poster and not the content. Its not the side of the debate I'm taking that's all and I try my best to always consider logical points to work with.

If you expect me to be convinced by now by other points and I'm not, well, I'm just not.

EDIT: just noticed your edit to your previous post, thank you for removing the stronger language.

I am going to answer your question, just tomorrow, as I try to post once day only to answer questions and I've already been on here 3 times *thinking* it would be quick. :laugh: (what the hell was I thinking, I'm always wordy)

This thread has a lot of speculation it's true..

What made the theory ring true to me was the fact that it connects to many many other parts of the story through the slavery theme. I was always bothered by AFFC because it seemed to take the story into a random tangeant which led away from an ending. This thread really connected the novels for me and made it seem like there is some sort of overarching plan over the course of the series.

Does this make it foolproof? Absolutely not, but I think it's on the right track and I am really interested to see how this theory evolves.

They can be really big. And I think the three quotes from Bran talking about the dark abyss in the underground caverns isn't just me saying "think about it" as a response. Its quoting from the book. :shocked:

The counterargument is based on one phrase telling us they were small for the slaves. Not "the human slaves". The slaves.

Why are you so invested in convincing me I'm wrong? I just really like this aspect of the story and really like this theory. People respond asking questions and I reply because I don't want to leave them hanging. I appreciate an opposing opinion, including yours, because it can lead to a good debate where we can go through all the nuances and details, (and I really like details :laugh: ) but now you're treading into being personally insulting.

And "no good can come of it"? What good do you expect to have come out of these forums? I've seen you post this phrase in another thread now too, what do you expect? World Peace amongst GOT fans??? :laugh:

Your language is insulting. You can entertain the opposite if you want, I've considered it and just happen to be on the other side of it, which is not a crime just a viewpoint. Please realize you have strayed into criticizing the poster and not the content. Its not the side of the debate I'm taking that's all and I try my best to always consider logical points to work with.

If you expect me to be convinced by now by other points and I'm not, well, I'm just not.

Please read my edited post, I edited it before this response, upon reading it I saw as well that it was a bit insulting... Sorry.

Yes you and the other thread that I have been trying to find out why OP opened the thread in the first place. There have been multiple threads on this subject and your textual evidence was weak. I guess I just got annoyed at people starting threads with no substantial textual evidence, but then vehemently defending their theory when holes are poked in it. It is almost always new people to the forum I guess as they have not seen the existing threads. :dunno: (btw the other thread was a much more ridiculous assertion than yours).

In any case not here to make enemies :cheers: , and discussion is good, but textual evidence is key to any good argument such as this.

Please review my edited post and remind me of your opinion on those three questions

No good can come from you being to emotionally invested/attached to your own theory/thread. You are not entertaining the possibility that maybe, just maybe, Missandei is who she seems to be... I mean would Arya be sent to apprentice w/ a deep undercover FM when the stakes are so high? :dunno: Maybe we give them too much credit and they are really a bunch of idiots.

EDIT: *The FM are idiots*. I wanted to edit this as it just seemed too rude when I re-read the post... OP you seem like a very informed reader. I just don't want you to get too sold on your own theory which can hamper your genius.

Maybe you can clear up for me the gaps in the theory by giving me your opinion on a few questions:

1. Where do you think the FM got the info that Dany would go to Astapor? It's a pretty spur of the moment type decision IIRC.

2. What do you think their ultimate goal is? ie obtaining dragons/destroying dragons/serving Dany/assasinating Dany.

3. What's in it for them? Did someone pay all they had to murder Dany/Dragons? Could it possibly be Pryat Pree (if you don't believe Euron fed him to the sea)? Or do you believe there is a hidden FM agenda that the readers are not in on yet?

- I don't think they "knew" Dany would go to Astapor, I think perhaps the thought is that there wear already FM their in Astapor (possibly Maureen) to go ahead and give "the gift" to the slaves. IF FM are anti-slavery, then surely they do not approve of these cities and the unsullied etc. I think Dany showing up there with dragon's and freeing the slaves probably took FM by suprise, but a suprise that they could most likely use to their advantage (ASSUMING ending slavery is an end goal)

-Ultimate goal I think according to the thread is to end slavery in all aspects. They will wait to see which way Dany goes- if Dany does NOT bind her dragons to her, and continues to free slaves they will keep her alive to further their cause and possibly become allies. If Dany binds the dragons to her, and if she decides NOT to go back with "blood and fire" and not to end slavery, they will turn against her and off her. Then they will probably try to find a way to kill the dragons as I doubt they would have any way to keep them alive (unless another came along who could bond with the dragons, not BIND the dragons to them).

-As for question three, I think I explained it in the first two responses. Their goal is to end slavery. As far as who paid them, I thnk it goes back to their history, they are not being paid, they are trying to end slavery.

I'm not CERTAIN this is what the OP intended, but I think that is where the thread thoughts have generally gone. I really do LIKE this theory and I think it makes sense , but I also think it's just like any other theory, and obviously we won't KNOW until later in the series.

If the FM ultimate goal is to end slavery all over the world... then they are doing a terrible job LOL. I mean think about how long their order has been around, and how prevalent the slave trade is all over Essos (save where the FM live). Also, if they took steps to free slaves it would surely alienate many possible patrons of the FM.

So (following that logic) if FM didn't predict that Dany would travel to Astapor, it was sure lucky they had a top agent undercover as an 11 yr old girl who happens to work for the unsullied master that Dany will deal with. She (missandei FM) would have to make the call (go w/ Dany or not) by herself as I can't imagine her sending out msgs as a slave, or even if she could, getting a timely response before Dany departs. So she makes the call, then mind controls Grazdhan to offer her to Dany as a translator.

I can't follow that logic, unless we just accept that FM are the most magical awesome beings in this universe. It's a possiblity, but not at all likely...

Maybe OP can shed some light on it. :dunno:

I see they specifically mentioned how tiny many of the tunnels were, not how vast and large they were. They were also specifically noted as being dug by the slaves and sometimes ended up in lava. Oh, and the sandals thing. Just because there's textual evidence of large caves in a completely different geographical location, does make it evidence of caves in a mine.

Im under the impression that the Cotf caves were mostly natural, you know rivers and chasms and whatnot, and definitely not under active volcanos.

I like most of your theory that she's likely not some insignificant naive ex-slave. There's pretty clearly more going on. I just dont buy the FM theory yet. I dont think they're planting operatives in slave cities to give slaves the gift anymore, just because they started that way.

Im also not on board with the unsullied theory. I think sometimes you go a little farther than needed but its fun to see the gears working.

If the FM ultimate goal is to end slavery all over the world... then they are doing a terrible job LOL. I mean think about how long their order has been around, and how prevalent the slave trade is all over Essos (save where the FM live). Also, if they took steps to free slaves it would surely alienate many possible patrons of the FM.

So (following that logic) if FM didn't predict that Dany would travel to Astapor, it was sure lucky they had a top agent undercover as an 11 yr old girl who happens to work for the unsullied master that Dany will deal with. She (missandei FM) would have to make the call (go w/ Dany or not) by herself as I can't imagine her sending out msgs as a slave, or even if she could, getting a timely response before Dany departs. So she makes the call, then mind controls Grazdhan to offer her to Dany as a translator.

I can't follow that logic, unless we just accept that FM are the most magical awesome beings in this universe. It's a possiblity, but not at all likely...

Maybe OP can shed some light on it. :dunno:

I think my head hurts. :ack:

I'm on board for the idea of it, but finer details I will leave to GRRM and the OP :shocked:

on 20 March 2013 - 03:42 AM, said:

It could be that being 'blind Beth' was her mummery training, but i really like the idea that Arya is going to meet the King of Mummers, who i think is Izembaro. Her costume wasn't that big a deal and mummers seem to have alot more tricks up their sleeves. Just look at Varys changing his appearance.

You can read about the 'King of Mummers' theory in this thread: http://asoiaf.wester...-under-mummers/ (fixed link)

Thanks I'll check that out. :)

EDIT: The above link got truncated so I did a search, and it seems like it should be this one.

So I did check it out and I'm digging it! I sincerely hope this is the next step in the story because it sounds so interesting a path to take. I actually prefer it as a path to take over Izembaro being Missandei. I just hope that it doesn't get "sweated" out of the story or minimized too much because it got "sweated" out of ADWD and there's only 2 books left.

Starks Among Us said it perfectly:

- I don't think they "knew" Dany would go to Astapor, I think perhaps the thought is that there wear already FM their in Astapor (possibly Maureen) to go ahead and give "the gift" to the slaves. IF FM are anti-slavery, then surely they do not approve of these cities and the unsullied etc. I think Dany showing up there with dragon's and freeing the slaves probably took FM by suprise, but a suprise that they could most likely use to their advantage (ASSUMING ending slavery is an end goal)

I can see two possible ways that I can see the story depending on who's end goal is what:

First it could be what Starks Among Us said:

-Ultimate goal I think according to the thread is to end slavery in all aspects. They will wait to see which way Dany goes- if Dany does NOT bind her dragons to her, and continues to free slaves they will keep her alive to further their cause and possibly become allies. If Dany binds the dragons to her, and if she decides NOT to go back with "blood and fire" and not to end slavery, they will turn against her and off her. Then they will probably try to find a way to kill the dragons as I doubt they would have any way to keep them alive (unless another came along who could bond with the dragons, not BIND the dragons to them).

OR

It could be the same ultimate goal is there, but with slightly different players: for the FM the goal may be only to make sure no more dragons are bound into slavery to fulfill the old request that doomed Valyria, but the goal to end slavery itself is actually held by the dragons.

So the ultimate goal to end slavery would still there in the story, it just would depend on which players it belongs to. Of course, you can say that if the dragons become the instrument of the many faced god, faceless men themselves, then its kind of a moot point.

What's in it for the FM?

To be the instrument of the Many faced God and give the gift to people that want it for themselves or for people who are willing to pay the high price of vengance to kill others. They are no one, no one has no cares so they don't care what people pay them because its not for them they just use what they have so all the no ones they send out can do their job. It just happens that they charge a high price to give out vengence kills for people because vengance kills have a high price. I think they're taking the role of being "instant karma", you get what's coming to you if you murder, thieve, lie, etc. So if you want to kill someone best to be up front about it to God and just take your lumps up front, because you'll pay one way or the other. This could be why Pate had to die, he admitted to stealing a very important key to Jaqen and then he was toast. Maybe the maesters would have given him the death penalty anyway, therefore Jaqen just did his duty.

Did someone pay all they had to murder Dany/Dragons?

In this theory, all the slaves of Old Valyria, they paid with their lives for the doom to kill their masters. Those who survived (the Targaryens) were supposed to keep their dragons free, or the FM would come kill them again because that's what the dragons wanted in the deal/pact. Because the slave masters died in the doom too, they owe their lives to the FM because the only thing a slave has of value to exchange with another person is their life.

Could it possibly be Pryat Pree (if you don't believe Euron fed him to the sea)? Or do you believe there is a hidden FM agenda that the readers are not in on yet?

What is explained directly above is what I think their hidden agenda is, which is what they do all the time anyway, give the gift to those who want it. I don't there is anyone in the present story besides the dragons and FM themselves that are seeking to kill the dragons. Its the dragons themselves that want the gift if they are ever enslaved again.

I'm not CERTAIN this is what the OP intended, but I think that is where the thread thoughts have generally gone. I really do LIKE this theory and I think it makes sense , but I also think it's just like any other theory, and obviously we won't KNOW until later in the series.

You did really good with the information I gave. :) Agree this is all speculation, but what else are we going to do until the next book comes out.

Yes you and the other thread that I have been trying to find out why OP opened the thread in the first place. There have been multiple threads on this subject and your textual evidence was weak. I guess I just got annoyed at people starting threads with no substantial textual evidence, but then vehemently defending their theory when holes are poked in it. It is almost always new people to the forum I guess as they have not seen the existing threads. :dunno: (btw the other thread was a much more ridiculous assertion than yours).

When I searched to see if this thread had been started before (searched "Missandei" in the title, came up with about 8 threads) i did find a couple small ones, however my goal was to have the OP include a comprehensive list of the clues from the text, and the best OP I found only had three and I already had about 8. I also knew that I wouldn't be able to ADD to the opening list of clues if new ones came up during the course of the thread, which I have already done. It was my intention from the start to make it easier on fellow forum readers to see text evidence all in one place at the beginning of the thread so they wouldn't have to read through a bunch of older pages and I couldn't edit the OP if I wasn't the OP.

That's why I started the thread. I get annoyed too at the multiple threads, but its a big forum with lots of posters so its to be expected it'll happen.

Your opinion is that there is "no substantial textual evidence", but I don't share that opinion. I found 10 different situations in the text to analyze that could point towards this theory all posted up front. You may not like what I found because you're looking for something more obvious, but 8-10 clues vs 3 and the ability to add to them was reason enough to start a thread.

Maybe OP can shed some light on it.

about alienating possible patrons: I think you and I might be looking at the FM as two fundamentally different types of organizations. You seem to think they would care about their "patrons" impression of them, but I don't see their actions as a business. I see them as a house of worship that considers everyone under their care when it comes to death, and that they consider themselves the instruments of death, merciful and unmerciful, I think they would do what they do regardless of the money they get for it.

About Missandei being in the right place at the right time, sending messages, having autonomy in her decisions enough to follow Dany: My premise is that they were fulfilling their obligation to give slaves to the gift and were in the slave population to do it, just as their order started. So no, I don't think that makes that an unbelievably lucky situation, whether its unbelievable or not is just a matter of opinion at this point. As for messages, as a scribe who likely sent out messages for her master all the time, well, why wouldn't she be able to get out her own coded messages? What's stopping her? It would be a really bad or incredibly deep undercover organization that puts out agents with NO method of contact. I would think the FM have to trust their agents in the field to make the best decisions for their organization too, otherwise, they wouldn't be in the field. Jaqen certainly seems to have to roll with the punches (e.g. joining up with the Lannister army so he can keep from being under threat while undercover).

mind control of Ghrazdan: lol, how dramatic!

I think sometimes you go a little farther than needed but its fun to see the gears working.

I like working the gears and running the scenarios. :-)

Looking forward to TWoW and ADoS to see what's gears are in GRRM's head too. :-)

Where is it said that the FM are obligated to give slaves the gift?

Where does it end? Do they have agents in all the free cities? In Lys where they teach the seven sighs specifically? What about agents that ride with the Dothraki?

LOL they are everywere, along w/ secret Targs! Giving the gift but never ending slavery, in every city... Daario, Varys, and Ned were all FM, if you can follow this logic.

Good luck with this... theory. :bang:

LOL they are everywere, along w/ secret Targs! Giving the gift but never ending slavery, in every city... Daario, Varys, and Ned were all FM, if you can follow this logic.

Good luck with this... theory. :bang:

Maybe it's part of the traning? Some back to the roots infiltration thing?

But as we have seen with Pate, actual-Missandei could have been replaced with a FM-Missandei at some point and since no one knew her, no one would have noticed it

Maybe it's part of the traning? Some back to the roots infiltration thing?

But as we have seen with Pate, actual-Missandei could have been replaced with a FM-Missandei at some point and since no one knew her, no one would have noticed it

That example def adds some plausibility to the theory, I just don't see the "10" examples put forth in the OP as supporting the fact that she is not who she says she is. In fact you can outright dismiss the first example given, Missandei's use of This one... I, by just reading it in context again.

I'm sorry, I don't know why I'm getting snarky about it. I'll stay out of here and say (seriously) w/ all due respect, good luck w/ the theory.

:leaving:

That example def adds some plausibility to the theory, I just don't see the "10" examples put forth in the OP as supporting the fact that she is not who she says she is. In fact you can outright dismiss the first example given, Missandei's use of This one... I, by just reading it in context again.

I'm sorry, I don't know why I'm getting snarky about it. I'll stay out of here and say (seriously) w/ all due respect, good luck w/ the theory.

:leaving:

Thanks!

It's just a gut feeling i have, that there is more to her, then just being an 11-year old ex slave.

For me the facts that stand out most are:

-use of 'Valahr morghulis' (Seems to have a strong connection to the FM)

-her lurking around the pyramid and being able to sneak up on Ser Barristan in the same chapter he criticises the pit fighters to lack awareness

-spending most of her time sitting amongst and reading a ton of scrolls, what in those scrolls could intereset a 11 year old girl so much, she doesn't seem to get bored but rather increases the ammount of research conducted

-Her usage and correction in front of Dany of the phrase 'this one... I' but not infront of Barristan... Why does she do it infront of Dany everytime, but doesn't bother with it, when she is talking to Barristan. Seems really odd to me Oo

Other things in the books that could point towards this theory:

-Prologue of AFFC, the infiltration of the citadel indicates that the FM are seeking some knowledge (-> Missandei reading the scrolls and possibile explanation for how she was replaced by a FM)

-FM having a secret agenda, which could be the reason for them keeping tabs on Dany's whereabouts and actions

-The waif's age and appearance could also be pointing towards Missandei being way older then she says (Dany says about her 'she is wise beyond her years')

There is definitely something weird going on with that girl... Even if she's not a FM i think there is still more going on

Archived