Missandei is a Faceless Man/Woman perhaps Izembaro

missandei is a tricky cover for arya, the girl speak like 9 different languages is better to just kill someone else on dany's inner circle skahaz or barry (please not barry T_T)

Tricky but Barristan and Skahaz are almost never alone with Dany. Missande takes baths with her.

The FM aren't a suicide squad so Missandei' s FM disguise would have to be timed

Perfectly. A hard cover but not impossible. Missandei speaks common often enough to Dany that she might not realise anything amiss til it was too late.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's clear the FM have more profound motivations than just offing people. We're not yet privy to the exact structure of their organization but we know hey have some sort of rank system and possibly multiple cells. Jaquen is currently at the Citadel on some sort of medieval espionage mission (though admittedly we don't know for sure that he's still affiliated) and then there's the "tell me three things" game the KM was so fond of. The FM are very much in the information biz, so if Missandei is an assassin, that doesn't necessarily mean she's there to assassinate anyone. Not yet anyway. RE: GRRM's response to whether or not the FM have been contracted to kill the dragons; "not yet."

If Jaquen is at the Citadel to find the book “Blood and Fire” for the Faceless Men, perhaps he’s having difficulty finding it.

Is it possible that Marwyn has taken the only copy of the book that’s called Blood and Fire or "The Death of Dragons” with him? Perhaps Marwyn saw in the obsidian candles Pate unlocking the vault to get the book.

So, if the book can’t be found at the Citadel, and the Faceless know that Marwyn is heading for Dany, they need to get a message to one of their agents in Dany’s camp to be on the lookout for the book.

Arya is 11 years old and Missandei also appears to be 11. Arya has been trained as a thief and can be quite lethal to someone unassuming her capability. Connecting with Missandei could be a cover to not only be trained by her, but to be near Dany and uncover secrets. If Marwyn arrives with the book Arya’s mission might be to steal it and return it to the Faceless. Secrets and stealing are both things that Arya’s been trained to do while with them.

If this fanfic scenario occurs and the Faceless send Arya to Messandei, they would probably be unaware of Tyrion. If Tyrion is on Dany’s council, he and Arya know each other. Also, Tyrion could inform Arya that they are related. All this could lead to something happening to Messandei.

Messandei’s death may have been foreshadowed when she first took service with Dany, when Dany tells her that she cannot protect her. Arya could tell a fascinating story about how she found her way to Meereen allowing her to take a more prominent roll around Dany. Dany would then have a Lannister; a Stark; a Mormount; a Greyjoy; Barristan Selmy; a Red Priest and a Grand Maester with her when she turns toward Westeros.

To my personal belief, Arya is not required to be anywhere near Dany for all of the above to occur, as Missy is already there. She is yet to proceed with Izembaro's training, and that is one of the tree FM stationed in Braavos. I'd expect this to occur for the better 1/3 of the upcoming Arya chapters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay - for follow-up to the CoTF angle...

The following are suspected of being secretly errant Children of the Forest:

- Woods Witch

- Ghost of High Heart (suspected of being the Woods Witch)

- Missandei

- The Waif

- Some of Vary's little birds

Any others?

How plausible are these as disguises (magical or otherwise)? Or are we talking about agents?

Leaf did say that she had travelled widely long after the South ceased believing there were any CoTF left... I suppose it is as easy to add fingers as it is to remove them? Thoughts?

Maybe they have their own kind of glamours ?

Yes. They could have glamours, but they seem to wear off. So Mis would have to have a way a recharging. I hope she is not a spy for anyone but Varys. I was annoyed that Varys and Illyrio just tossed her out to the Dothraki without protection.

I do not believe that Mis is a FM. They seem to be an in and out sort of group. Jaquen stayed in character with Arya on the ride north and at Harrenhal, but that was a relatively short time compared to Mis with Dany.

Perhaps Mis people are like the CotF, and look young. If there are Children in Westeros, Why not in another place. And maybe someone did teach her to climb trees at 11, that does not have to be a lie. And being a magical-sort, Mis could keep the look of an 11 year old. I agree that Varys probably keeps some of Mis' people who can read and write. Sorry he must mute them.

And I seem to have missed something huge here. What is this book that has sent Marwyn and the FM into such a tizzy?

And I seem to have missed something huge here. What is this book that has sent Marwyn and the FM into such a tizzy?

Tyrion spoke of a book called Blood & Fire and also known as the Death of Dragons. It is the only remaining copy and seems to be hidden in the Citadel. It's a book that could unlock secrets on how a dragon can be killed. The faceless man at the Citadel could be in search of this book, either to secure it or learn about its contents.

All the traits GRRM gives her, might just be a setup for Missandei to become Dany's official master of whispers.

Assuming at some point Dany needs one, it would be weird if it was somebody introduced in the later books, it would have to be somebody she trusts, like Missandei. So what I'm saying is that all the things you listed might indeed mean there's more to Missandei than we think, but maybe it's not what she is at the moment, but what she will become later (in a believable way).

Been a long time since i updated this thread! So many interesting replies. I will give a better reply later, promise! :)

I just wanted to pop in and post something that I'm not sure has been mentioned yet.

Here's what Marwyn the Archmaester says about one particular expert on prophesies:

AFFC Samwell V

Gorghan of Old Ghis once wrote that a prophecy is like a treacherous woman. She takes your member in her
mouth, and you moan with the pleasure of it and think, how sweet, how fine, how good this is... and then her teeth snap shut and your moans turn to screams. That is the nature of prophecy, said Gorghan. Prophecy will bite your prick off every time.” He chewed a bit. “Still...”

And Missandei happens to be knee deep in the writings in Meereen, which would be the ideal library to hold all of the writings of Gorghan.

ADWD The Kingbreaker (Barristan)

Afterward, back at the apex of the pyramid, Ser Barristan found Missandei amongst piles of scrolls and books, reading. “Stay here tonight, child,” he told her. “Whatever happens, whatever you see or hear, do not leave the queen’s chambers.”
“This one hears,” the girl said. “If she may ask—”

So, just like it's been thought that Jaqen/Alchemist/Pate may be at the Citadel to gather information like a certain book, etc. it seems like Missandei is similarly well situated to carry out a similar mission to gather information. Kind of vague I know, but it seems to parallel what Jaqen is doing.

One of these days I'm going to tally up all the instances of when Missandei doesn't correct herself on the use of "this one" and when she does correct herself to "I" in relation to who she's talking with. I have a sneaky suspicion I'll find she never corrects herself in the presence of Barristan and always corrects herself in the presence of Dany. It's on my to do list. XD

edit: More stuff - Missandei's supposed age against the length of time training her brothers as Unsullied:

ASOS Dany II

“They are chosen young, for size and speed and strength,” the slave told her.“They begin their
training at five.
Some of the soldiers were tall and some were short. They ranged in age from fourteen to twenty, she judged.

Missandei is supposed to be 10 when Dany first meets her with two brothers in the Unsullied army. One of which dies in Meereen as an active soldier and the other is on Dany's councils as a leader of the army. So how can she recall being a child being taught to climb trees on Naath with her brothers, when she has full grown and fully trained brothers in Unsullied army (Marselen of the Mother's men being one of them) who must have spent at a minimum 9 years being trained. She would have been hardly able to walk, much less able to climb trees and form memories if she was really only 10.

Ages don't add up, so there is no way she can just be 10.

Wow, I wasn't expecting this theory to be so well elaborated... I mean I agree that she can't be "just an ex slave girl" mostly because she is beyond her age and many things you mentioned have sense.
I would definitely like to see her have some bigger role in the future (assuming that Dany will return to Meeren or somehow encounter her later), although I wouldn't like if she turned out to be evil, posed to spy on Dany and her dragons or something similar.

The FM seem to have an unknown but great amount of power in Braavos, I mean, they literally offer to marry Arya to anyone, ship captains will give passage to anyone who has a coin and mutters a phrase no matter how ridiculous, and they actually have a public place of business.

Even with all that, why on earth would they try deliver Arya into that chaotic warzone. I find it beyond reason that they don't have some news about how crazy things are in Meereen right now.

Been a long time since i updated this thread! So many interesting replies. I will give a better reply later, promise! :)

I just wanted to pop in and post something that I'm not sure has been mentioned yet.

Here's what Marwyn the Archmaester says about one particular expert on prophesies:

AFFC Samwell V

And Missandei happens to be knee deep in the writings in Meereen, which would be the ideal library to hold all of the writings of Gorghan.

ADWD The Kingbreaker (Barristan)

So, just like it's been thought that Jaqen/Alchemist/Pate may be at the Citadel to gather information like a certain book, etc. it seems like Missandei is similarly well situated to carry out a similar mission to gather information. Kind of vague I know, but it seems to parallel what Jaqen is doing.

One of these days I'm going to tally up all the instances of when Missandei doesn't correct herself on the use of "this one" and when she does correct herself to "I" in relation to who she's talking with. I have a sneaky suspicion I'll find she never corrects herself in the presence of Barristan and always corrects herself in the presence of Dany. It's on my to do list. XD

edit: More stuff - Missandei's supposed age against the length of time training her brothers as Unsullied:

ASOS Dany II

Missandei is supposed to be 10 when Dany first meets her with two brothers in the Unsullied army. One of which dies in Meereen as an active soldier and the other is on Dany's councils as a leader of the army. So how can she recall being a child being taught to climb trees on Naath with her brothers, when she has full grown and fully trained brothers in Unsullied army (Marselen of the Mother's men being one of them) who must have spent at a minimum 9 years being trained. She would have been hardly able to walk, much less able to climb trees and form memories if she was really only 10.

Ages don't add up, so there is no way she can just be 10.

The Naathi are known to be peaceful people... they are the best slaves... however, and if the Naathi are good slaves not cause they are peaceful but cause they have a lifespan longer than the average?

There's also this aspect. When Missandei had just been freed from being a slave by Dany, she offers Missendei the opportunity to serve her as one of her handmaids and to be an interpreter for her, but, should she want, Missandei can leave whenever she desires. Missandei says that she will stay and serve Dany. Dany tells her that she can give Missandei her freedom but by being around Dany, She cannot be guaranteed safety. That's when Missandei says "Valar Morghulis". It may be the HBO series indicates that everyone knows that terminology in Essos, but Missandei could have said a number of things back to Dany, without using that particular phrase.

Why was it that Jaquen thought it was so important that he asked her to repeat the term "Valar Morghullis" when he gave the coin to Arya. And then why when she says it to the captain and gives the coin, he immediately accepts her passage and takes her to Braavos and the FM. So far to my knowledge, in the books, that term is used only in conjunction with the FM. So to me, just by Missandei's use of Valar Morghullis, it gives me reason to be suspicious of her. That and all of the other possible reasons that "TOTY" has thought out.

Archived