Stonesnake

gobo

Is Stonesnake still alive? We know he was the only one of Qhorin's 5 the Rattleshirt didn't catch. I believe when reporting to Mance, the Bag o' Bones states that Stonesnake (paraphrasing) "climbed up a mountain no horse could reach."

In ASoIaF, generally when GRRM has a character disappear without being cofirmed dead, that character reappears at some point down the line. If everyone thinks benjen is still alive, why not Stonesnake? Further, in ACoK we get a more detailed description of SS than we do of the other (non-Halfhand) members of the team.

My semi-crackpot theory is that Stonesnake's mountain is also Bran/CoTF/Bloodraven's mountain, and somehow SS will help either Bran (if he leaves the cave) or more lilkely Meera to get back to the Seven Kingdoms.

Is Stonesnake still alive? We know he was the only one of Qhorin's 5 the Rattleshirt didn't catch. I believe when reporting to Mance, the Bag o' Bones states that Stonesnake (paraphrasing) "climbed up a mountain no horse could reach."

In ASoIaF, generally when GRRM has a character disappear without being cofirmed dead, that character reappears at some point down the line. If everyone thinks benjen is still alive, why not Stonesnake? Further, in ACoK we get a more detailed description of SS than we do of the other (non-Halfhand) members of the team.

My semi-crackpot theory is that Stonesnake's mountain is also Bran/CoTF/Bloodraven's mountain, and somehow SS will help either Bran (if he leaves the cave) or more lilkely Meera to get back to the Seven Kingdoms.

I think that some guys are just there to eventually disappear, sometimes life goes that way.

His path sounded almost impossible, probably it was just Jon Snow wishful thinking.

A shame... Qhorin's mission is one of my favourite parts of the books: five badasses on what turns out to be a suicide mission.

Squire Dalbridge is a cool guy, Qhorin is an over-the-top badass, Stonesnake has one of the coolest nicknames in the whole series, Ebben simply rocks too hard and Jon Snow is Jon Snow.

About your crackpot... think of the timeline of events and about what's Stonesnake goal: getting back alive to the Wall as soon as possible since he's behind the enemy lines with no backup place.

Since Stonesnake isn't mentioned even once while Jon is the Lord Commander (THE guy who is supposed to know his brothers whereabouts), it's legit to presume he's dead.

But I want to be wrong, trust me.

I suppose it's possible Stonesnake is still alive, but like Coil said the timeline would make it very difficult for Stonesnake to find a way to survive back there alone with no rations or allies for as long as it's been and as cold/wintery it has been.

I do agree though with the general idea that since we didn't see him die, and a point was made in fact to keep him alive and out in the open, that he could make an appearance again.

I think obviously Benjen is a much more important character, and many believe he knows about R + L=J, so they think he will reappear and tell Jon or something like that. But I agree that if Benjen is alive, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that Stonesnake is as well.

Well this would sound rather unlike GRRM... but imagine Stonesnake, Cotter Pyke and Benjen joining forces and rescuing wildlings from the Hardhome...

Only to have their ship sunk on the way back to Eastwatch or some equally awful tragedy...sounds just like GRRM :cool4:

• 2 weeks later...

I would believe that he's dead, if if weren't for those damn appendices. Even in ADWD part 2, He's still listed as alive and "lost afoot in the Skirling Pass"

Also, I have a slightly Crackpot theory regarding him: Stonesnake is known for being the best climber in the watch (which probably means he's the best in Westeros), so I think there may be some sort of link between him and Bran. Maybe Bran will be able to Warg into him so he can climb again.

Stonesnake's goal was to get to the Fist. He probably witnessed the battle from afar, or just noticed that suddenly the fires on the mountaintop stopped (Mormont mentions that it will be visible from the foothills of Frostfangs).

He would probably head for Wall then, but question is how long will it take.

Crackpot: He will join one of the rangings sent by Jon Snow.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Stonesnake is actually mentioned in all of the books. I think it's possible that he made it to the fist and died or he is with Benjen, trying to discover how to beat the walkers. (They may be in the land of always winter)

Archived