If Edmure gets restored, how do you feel the Riverlords will look upon his "Frey" bride and child/heir?

Lord Damian

Let's put it this way. What if Roslin had refused, before the wedding?

She gets killed, or otherwise put out of the way, by her own family, and another daughter who's more willing to play the part takes her place - Old Walder has more than enough. Edmure didn't even know which one he was going to marry until he got there.

In other words, if she refuses Walder's instructions, it doesn't actually change a damn thing - the Red Wedding is going to happen anyway. The only difference is that the Freys are short by one more daughter before it, and even *that* doesn't matter as Walder has far too many offspring anyway.

She chose personal survival in a situation where if she'd tried a heroic sacrifice, it would have failed. I can hardly blame her for that. She may well end up being the last survivor of the Frey family when all is said and done... well, maybe her and Fat Walda (who may be allowed to live, carrying a legitimate heir for a greatly-reduced House Bolton when Roose and Ramsay finally meet their well-earned come-uppance.)

Despite the disdain the old weasel has for much of his family, he still does as much as he can for them. She is not likely to be killed as some might think, at least not where lord weasel is concerned. Does not mean that she wouldn't be in extreme disfavor from the rest of her family though.

Roslin did not want the plot to happen. thats why she was arguing and crying with. one of the frey's before the massacre took place.

I hand that over to the softness of her heart. She had never met Edmure before their wedding day, so there was no special relationship besides her not wanting to be the bait of a trap that was legally and morally wrong. I just want to know if after that, does Edmure love her even though she was the bait? Do they still consider each other husband and wife?

That didn`t stop her of making Edmure busy for a while... I can be totally wrong here, but I don`t see her surviving the war... The Gods themselves will unleash their wrath on Freys and punishment shall be so horrific that RW would look like a fairytale :)

I agree. Exactly, the Freys because of breaking the pact of guest rite have a crap storm headed their direction. When you accept (wasn't it salt and bread) that custom is not supposed to broken. Plus they fight among themselves. now everyone gives them disdain. this house will be wiped out from the male line completely. But because the Tully's need an heir so badly if its a boy I think they at first will let it live. now if Edmure has other children with someone else, he has more Sons in the future, or if a cadet house makes another claim thats a whole other story.

I hand that over to the softness of her heart. She had never met Edmure before their wedding day, so there was no special relationship besides her not wanting to be the bait of a trap that was legally and morally wrong. I just want to know if after that, does Edmure love her even though she was the bait? Do they still consider each other husband and wife?

I would probably go with she does like her husband. because of her actions, even though they wern't bold. she's a woman in a male dominated society. I believe The Frey's probably would've killed her if she didn't play her part, As Edmure goes I cant see him doing anything rash. To much honor.

I would probably go with she does like her husband. because of her actions, even though they wern't bold. she's a woman in a male dominated society. I believe The Frey's probably would've killed her if she didn't play her part, As Edmure goes I cant see him doing anything rash. To much honor.

That or they would have disowned her. Which is horrific for a young, pretty girl in war ravaged Riverlands while war still looms. So they pretty much blackmailed her, or hazed her into being the bait.

She does show some affection where she cares for the child in her womb. And I agree Edmure's honor would prevent him from being harsh but they could still be in a marriage like Cersei and Bob. Political yet loathing.

For all the legitimate Frey hate, have you considered how much Frey blood there must be in the Riverlands' families?

They had a lot of daughters to marry around over the years. And noone says well so and so isn't really a "fill in the blank name" - his mother / grandmother was a Frey

For all you know some of Edmures ancestors were Freys too

Both the child and Roslin would be protected by the assumptions of a male-dominated aristocratic society. The child would be assumed to be a Tully, not a Frey. And, they'd take the view that Roslin, as a woman, would have had no option but to obey her lord father.

I'm really not sure either Roslin or the child would be protected.

When the Darklyns took Areys hostage, it was the Lord's Myrish wife that got the blame (and the worst punishment). Given the losses to almost every noble House in the Riverlands and Roslin's central importance to the whole plot, I can't see her life being made easy or her not encountering a huge degree of animosity from the Riverlands Lords and Ladies. She didn't even try to forstall him bedding her. She could be seen as having played her part completely.

As for the Wedding, forced or not, when the massacre of thousands is being plotted and you are the bait, and could have said or done something to either prevent or help it, it smacks of cowardice. She could have done or said something. She may have been forced, which diminishes her responsibility to an extent, but she still is responsible for playing her part, even against her will.

I agree. Exactly, the Freys because of breaking the pact of guest rite have a crap storm headed their direction. When you accept (wasn't it salt and bread) that custom is not supposed to broken. Plus they fight among themselves. now everyone gives them disdain. this house will be wiped out from the male line completely. But because the Tully's need an heir so badly if its a boy I think they at first will let it live. now if Edmure has other children with someone else, he has more Sons in the future, or if a cadet house makes another claim thats a whole other story.

Tullys already have an heir. Bran, Rickon, Sansa, Robert Arryn. I will be sorry to see House Tully extinguished, but honestly I don`t see other way. I don`t think Martin will stop at just punishing those who participate in RW, since he has been building the case that entire House will suffer at the end, and more, she did participate in it. Unwillingly perhaps, but she was there and played her role. For that child, psychologically it would be better not to be born. Otherwise, the kid would have really tough childhood and later life.

@ Mladen

Indeed. Also although she doesn't add them specifically to her nightly death prayer, Arya does wish for the Freys of the crossing to die, all of them.

While as a "Tully" Roslin, may escape this, it doesn't bode well.

Well, Edmure is an idiot, we all know that. Not about everything, but in this he is. She, just like Walder and the rest of his treatorous pack, is quilty for what happened to Starks and Tullys. She may be seen as innocent, but she screwed Edmure while his sister has been killed. That`s not innocence in my book. And I am guy who forgave Jaime everything :)

Edmure was an idiot. I'm pretty sure that recent experiences have changed him quite a bit though.

I think Roslin's another example of the theme about how Oaths are meaningless and, at times impossible to uphold. She swore to obey her husband and she swore to obey her kin. What does she do when her kin orders her to betray her husband? I've got sympathy for her.

She's still going to die though. Possibly when Casterly Rock falls. As entertaining as a Frey Civil War would be, for me the best outcome would be Lord Walder dying last and joining the Rat Cook as another example of what happens when you break Guest Rights. For that to work, the rest of the Freys have got to go first, even the good ones.

Roslin should die. She knew about the RW. As for the kid, I'm not sure. If I had another kid and the one I had with Roslin was full grown, I'd probably have it executed.

If you were Ser Edmure Tully (or Lord Tully if he's restored) why would you want to execute your own son?

Archived