Randyll Tarly is an terrible commander

The Frost Wolf

The best that can be said of him is that he did not lose battles he couldn't lose.

Well said. I would like to see how he would fare when the odds are stacked against him like it was for Robb Stark or if he had to defend an area like the Riverlands.

Maybe we will get to see something of this very soon.

1. That wasn't my argument. Go back and refresh yourself with the OP and rewrite this statement. And again you're just saying "wrong" and "no" without any evidence except this time you decided to write a longer post. Give me some evidence for your claims or what you're saying is pointless.

2. I agree with parts of it. Again though, refresh yourself.

3. I have no dislike or like of Randyll. I am completely neutral. I looked at the results (refresh your memory, once more http://awoiaf.wester...e_of_Duskendale) and it showed that Randyll's forces are larger yet he sustained great losses.

Nice post though, thumbs up for ... effort? Not even. Oh well, next time.

Oh, I recommend you to refresh what you have written...

1. How exactly larger was Randyll`s army than Robert`s? Why did Robert flee, do you know that?

2. And again, you are saying that Stannis can`t be threat. Well, he could have been. I explained that

3. Is there exact number of Randyll`s forces and the number of his loss?

And again, my friend, nice attempt but it won`t work...Sorry...

Fair enough I didn't read every post only the first and the ones on this page.

I don't understand the point of threads like this though, He won the battles he fought so advantages or not what was he supposed to do? Ask for a fair fight? Being able to produce a better army should not be a negative thing.

Because we are discussing peoples image of him being the Great Commander of Westeros, and how there is a significant lack of evidence to support this claim in our opinion, especially compared to some other men we do know. The whole point of the forum is to put forward your theories or opinions and see what people think of them. Sometimes (seriously rarely) people admit they were wrong or amend their opinion

Because we are discussing peoples image of him being the Great Commander of Westeros, and how there is a significant lack of evidence to support this claim in our opinion, especially compared to some other men we do know. The whole point of the forum is to put forward your theories or opinions and see what people think of them. Sometimety, (seriously rarely) people admit they were wrong or amend their opinion

Just out of curiosity, compared to what men exactly? And, for the record, I have never said he is the Great Commander of Westeros

The most of the great lords of the Westeros sees him as a great commander and respects him. He hasn't got a large army, he is not a great diplomat but everyone fears and respects him. If he is not a good commander why would people care him?

Fair enough I didn't read every post only the first and the ones on this page.

I don't understand the point of threads like this though, He won the battles he fought so advantages or not what was he supposed to do? Ask for a fair fight? Being able to produce a better army should not be a negative thing.

I get that, but my point is that people overrate him. He had those advantages and should've by all accounts wiped the floor with Tallhart's force. But he didn't. And then at Ashford it's the same, it's all just hyped up that he's so good when the reality he's mediocre as a commander.

Oh, I recommend you to refresh what you have written...

1. How exactly larger was Randyll`s army than Robert`s? Why did Robert flee, do you know that?

2. And again, you are saying that Stannis can`t be threat. Well, he could have been. I explained that

3. Is there exact number of Randyll`s forces and the number of his loss?

And again, my friend, nice attempt but it won`t work...Sorry...

1. I have explained this and won't do so again.

2. Look at Frey Pie's post a few comments back. He explains how Renly had so many options, like he could've marched to KL and left a force to deal with Stannis. Or left him altogether, he has no change of taking Storm's End.

3. No, but it is significantly "heavy losses". That can be agreed by everyone.

I took the numbers of the Reach's army in Robert's Rebellion and the vanguard in Renly's army to be similar because there was nothing to suggest otherwise. Apart from Freeriders and the average new landed knight, etc, the Reach doesn't seem to have any new large houses or a noted population increase. So I assumed the numbers were valid and still do.

The Reach seemed way more committed to the war of the five kings than Robert's rebellion, therefore they would probably have had a smaller army in Robert's rebellion.

1. I have explained this and won't do so again.

2. Look at Frey Pie's post a few comments back. He explains how Renly had so many options, like he could've marched to KL and left a force to deal with Stannis. Or left him altogether, he has no change of taking Storm's End.

3. No, but it is significantly "heavy losses". That can be agreed by everyone.

2. So, it was Renly`s not Randyll`s choice. As you said and quoted, Randyll told Renly to deal with Stannis...You see the difference between Renly`s choices and Randyll`s advises

3. I was talking about numbers. Since you can`t give me that, those heavy loses, as much as they are truth to be said, needs to be quantified. If he had 5000 people, losing 2000 would be heavy loss. It all depends on numbers, and you, my friend, don`t have any...

Also, I said in my first post here that I think this is biased observation not the facts, and since that you have not written anything to prove me wrong.

I took the numbers of the Reach's army in Robert's Rebellion and the vanguard in Renly's army to be similar because there was nothing to suggest otherwise. Apart from Freeriders and the average new landed knight, etc, the Reach doesn't seem to have any new large houses or a noted population increase. So I assumed the numbers were valid and still do.

This paragraph makes me laugh. Reach has at least 80 000 soldiers at their disposal, is one of the richest kingdoms in Westeros, and there are at least 4 Great houses - Tyrells, Hightowers, Redwynes, Florents...

Those are the only two battles where Tarly takes an active part (I'm not counting the Blackwater, as most of the fighting was done by Garlan's Van), and it does not realy show a good commander in terms of getting results on the battlefield. The best that can be said of him is that he did not lose battles he couldn't lose.

Didn't Hyle Hunt say that quite a few of Brienne's fake suitors died at the Blackwater. I had thought they were Tarly's men which implies he was central to the fighting.

2. So, it was Renly`s not Randyll`s choice. As you said and quoted, Randyll told Renly to deal with Stannis...You see the difference between Renly`s choices and Randyll`s advises

3. I was talking about numbers. Since you can`t give me that, those heavy loses, as much as they are truth to be said, needs to be quantified. If he had 5000 people, losing 2000 would be heavy loss. It all depends on numbers, and you, my friend, don`t have any...

Also, I said in my first post here that I think this is biased observation not the facts, and since that you have not written anything to prove me wrong.

*Removed my rude comment*

2. Not even gonna respond.

3. No one has facts. If you haven't noticed, not everything in aSoIaF is hammered out and factual. Oh you know what? Martin probably knows. Ask him. And while your at it ask him about R&L = J and a few other things that we don't know for certain (I'm sure you can think of a few).

This paragraph makes me laugh. Reach has at least 80 000 soldiers at their disposal, is one of the richest kingdoms in Westeros, and there are at least 4 Great houses - Tyrells, Hightowers, Redwynes, Florents...

They were there before... Are you under the impression that the Hightowers, Florents, etc just appeared suddenly? I'm confused

Oh wow unless you're trolling, then I take my hat off to you

First you call me an idiot and then a troll...Take it easy, no need for insulting, for as I can recall I haven`t offended you in any way, other than saying I think you are wrong.

Arguing with you is like arguing with an idiot. You just drag me down to your level and then win due to experience.

2. Not even gonna respond.

3. No one has facts. If you haven't noticed, not everything in aSoIaF is hammered out and factual. Oh you know what? Martin probably knows. Ask him. And while your at it ask him about R&L = J and a few other things that we don't know for certain (I'm sure you can think of a few).

And you were moaning about being insulted earlier. Like seriously, talk about hypocritical.

First you call me an idiot and then a troll...Take it easy, no need for insulting, for as I can recall I haven`t offended you in any way, other than saying I think you are wrong.

And you were moaning about being insulted earlier. Like seriously, talk about hypocritical.

Yeah, yeah, you're right. Sorry about that. Getting a little frustrated that's all.

And it was the condescending which annoyed me first off

Archived