From Pawn to Player: Rethinking Sansa XIX

Milady of York

Hmmmm...so which quarters of the fandom would this be? I don't suppose Ran will be saying, but I can't see anything "controversial" mattering to those who already hate Sansa.

Sandor reappearing? A lot of folk won't like that.

LF seducing Sansa? We wouldn't like that.

Sansa poisoning SR seems like it would be controversial to everyone, so if it's a certain portion of fandom, then that does add more intrigue as to what it could be.

Edit: I am really curious as to what it could be.

Well... if it is "parts" of the fandom, maybe it isn't LF after all. I don't think anyone would like that.

I don't know, some of the worst Sansa haters are always hinting in round about ways how she needs to be assaulted etc, to make her an interesting character. :ugh:

When it comes to Sansa the fandom is divided into those who really like her and are invested in her story, those who detest her, and those who really don't care very much what happens but will read with interest nevertheless. Unless Ran is going into further subdivisions relating to shipping and her romantic entanglements (and I doubt this), I'm going to hedge a bet and say that he's talking about controversial relating to those who actually care about where Sansa is heading and have strong opinions about her development, i.e. us :) What could people who hate Sansa find controversial?

Sansa being awesome? But surely this would just be met with complete denial as usual.

They'd find it surprising, but not controversial :)

Sansa poisoning SR seems like it would be controversial to everyone, so if it's a certain portion of fandom, then that does add more intrigue as to what it could be.

Edit: I am really curious as to what it could be.

I think you're right here. Controversial in certain parts of the fandom may imply something fairly specific. Killing SR or any other "grand event" would likely cause cause a big eruption in all quarters. Sigh... just more intrigue that we can't solve.

But could it be controvesial and something we wouldn't like because it will affect sansa directly? i always imagined the first chapter being a sort of intro to life at the gates of the moon. maybe sansa sees something or someone dies or LF does something that isn't at all like him (like the kiss in the snow castle)? maybe there is this big death or revelation or appereance of someone or idk, but now i am worried. i don't want anything bad to happen to our girl ):

We don't know if the controversial chapter is the first Sansa chapter of the book. So, as I've said in the thread about the chapter, it can be ANYTHING. I must say root for something with Sandor because of my dark fangirl side.

Controversial in certain parts of the fandom may imply something fairly specific. Killing SR or any other "grand event" would likely cause cause a big eruption in all quarters.

Agreed. Anything like that would cause a big reaction in all quarters of fandom, as opposed to a few. I had previously assumed that the former was what was referenced in the Vulture interview, but it appears that the latter was what was meant by Ran when interviewed. There goes my speculation upthread (whoops). So we're looking at an event which will piss off a few quarters of the fandom, but won't cause some fandom meltdown. So no death, rape, molestation, or watching while innocent kids are murdered. Gotcha.

Also, this references a chapter that will be controversial, as opposed to some or other longer arc, so I'm thinking it references an event or development contained within the chapter (akin to the Red Wedding, which was "contained" mostly within Catelyn's POV and Arya's, although I'm expecting nothing like that) rather than something begun in the chapter and continuing longer-term, unless of course the controversial chapter is the last Sansa chapter and has something with big implications for the next book.

Ran stated that the chapter "might" be controversial, though. Who knows? Maybe it won't be a big deal after all.

"Some quarters of the fandom" = shippers? If Sansa gets with someone who isn't Sandor (consensually), I could see how certain quarters "might" take issue with it. (They might not, if they believed SanSan was endgame and didn't care too much about whoever she hooks up with in the interim.)

Oh god, maybe it's a Randa/Sansa scene. Isn't Sansa one of the last "hot females" who haven't had a girl-on-girl scene after all?

Myranda? Hahaha, if Sansa has a hot girl-on-girl scene, it's totally going to be with Mya. Sansa thought in AFFC Mya'd be pretty if she would dress like a girl, and seemed awfully interested in Lothor Brune's erotic fantasies about Mya. Projection, perhaps? Dun dun DUNNNNN. (My tongue's firmly in cheek, here, but you never know with GRRM. He seems to have a thing for lesbian text/subtext where his queens are involved: Dany, Cersei, and those rumours about Margaery...)

Yeah I was just thinking that it could be we see her finally warg an animal and perhaps through that we get some real confirmation about something big that LF did but no one knows about, like for example, confirmation that he was the one to tell Joff to kill Ned. That would tick off the LF lovers who think he's just a brilliant social climber but not really evil.

"Some quarters of the fandom" = shippers? If Sansa gets with someone who isn't Sandor (consensually), I could see how certain quarters "might" take issue with it. (They might not, if they believed SanSan was endgame and didn't care too much about whoever she hooks up with in the interim.)

Yes, I could see a case where the Sansan shippers are up in arms :) but I doubt Ran would reference this as something particularly controversial.

It could be her Wargging? That could potentially be controversial.

Depends on how Ran is using the term. Controversial in and of itself because we don't expect it, or Sansa warging someone else? I still can't see why he would describe that as such though.

Yeah I was just thinking that it could be we see her finally warg an animal and perhaps through that we get some real confirmation about something big that LF did but no one knows about, like for example, confirmation that he was the one to tell Joff to kill Ned. That would tick off the LF lovers who think he's just a brilliant social climber but not really evil.

That would be good.

I'm waiting for confirmation that it was LF that tried to have Tyrion assassinated at the Blackwater too.

That would be good.

I'm waiting for confirmation that it was LF that tried to have Tyrion assassinated at the Blackwater too.

Yes I forgot about that. Mandon Moore was from the Vale after all. Also, I firmly believe that he managed to work things out so that Jaime knew where to find Ned and his men after leaving the brothel and hoped Jaime would kill Ned then and there.

I don't know, some of the worst Sansa haters are always hinting in round about ways how she needs to be assaulted etc, to make her an interesting character. :ugh:

oh god... I am so glad my eyes never got that dirty by having to read that.... can we please put a pervert tag on any post or thread that suggests something like that?

ETA I want to know what to avoid reading (as it is not worth my time)

I always thought if Sansa was going to warg something, it would be a bird, since she is "little bird"

but as much as I wish it were warging, I don't see why it would be controversial... unless it's soemthing to do with her losing Lady? (Not sure where I'm going with this... sometimes you just throw things out there :) )

ETA: btw Hi! Longtime lurker in the Sansa threads, finally deciding to make a peep :)

I always thought if Sansa was going to warg something, it would be a bird, since she is "little bird"

but as much as I wish it were warging, I don't see why it would be controversial... unless it's soemthing to do with her losing Lady? (Not sure where I'm going with this... sometimes you just throw things out there :) )

ETA: btw Hi! Longtime lurker in the Sansa threads, finally deciding to make a peep :)

Hello and welcome! Yeah her warging would not necessarily be controversial in and of itself, (unless it were a dragon which would blow people's minds!), but my thinking is that she would discover something really controversial through warging. She could have the opportunity to be her own spy network and I think it's no coincidence that Varys calls the kids he uses to spy for him his "little birds".

Hello and welcome! Yeah her warging would not necessarily be controversial in and of itself, (unless it were a dragon which would blow people's minds!), but my thinking is that she would discover something really controversial through warging. She could have the opportunity to be her own spy network and I think it's no coincidence that Varys calls the kids he uses to spy for him his "little birds".

I really hope Sansa learns to warg, even if she di lose Lady (indisputably her closest link to her gift)

and if it's in one of the first chapters of WoW? Even better :)

It could be her Wargging? That could potentially be controversial.

... or maybe her weird connection with winter could be further developed. If Sansa has some connection with the white walkers... that would be pretty controversial.

but I doubt Ran would reference this as something particularly controversial.

Why not? I don't know much about Ran.

Archived