how long did it take you to get hooked

MindAsh

I watched the first season before reading the books. After the first episode I definitely wanted to watch more, i'm not sure there was ever a hook moment. The more about the world and characters were shown, the more i wanted to know. So decided to read the books during my uni break, and ended up reading all 5 during that break, just couldn't put them down. Went through season 2 and 3 and thought the show was still great, but was starting to want more of the world again and book 6 didn't seem like it was on the horizon. So found this forum, and love that any time I feel i'm not getting enough ASoIaF I can come here and learn new things or discuss it.

Greetings I'm kind of new too! Well, I've been reading stuff here for years just started posting but whatever.
Just like you I saw the show first and hadn't touched a novel in maaaaaaaany years - even throughout high school when we had to read them for class I didn't bother :D
But as soon as the show was done I thought well I need more of that! Can't remember a single point in AGoT where it hooked me, honestly I think I was totally into it from the get go. Hope you love the books :)

Good morning everyone, I'm pleased to have found ASOIAF, (which I did after I saw Game of Thrones during a free trial and then went and bought the series of books!)

I have just finished book one and it took me about 30 minutes to become hooked on it :read: I am able to forget what the characters on TV looked like and manage to see these people through the descriptions of the Author and my own imagination, I love it! Does anyone else do this or do most people prefer to see the characters as shown by the actors on television?

I started watching when last year's season began. I had previously saw previews for the show on other channels and I love anything with kings and queens so I was very interested but never wanted to shell out the money for HBO. It so happened (on purpose I'm sure) that HBO had a preview weekend right before the new season started last year so I was able to watch all of season 1 and 2 and was hooked at the first episode. Watched through Season 3, was shocked by the Red Wedding, and decided to read the books after Season 3 ended. I had to know what happened next. I didn't want to wait a year. So now books are finished and like everyone else I await WoW. Best show on TV in my opinion with Vikings probably coming in 2nd.

On day one I sat down and watched episode one on DVD 2 years ago, and then proceeded into watching the entire season that day. The second day I watched the entire second season. Then on the third day I had the book set 1-4 purchased, and an Amazon order placed on the 5th book.

• 2 weeks later...

When Bran was pushed from the tower is when I was hooked, in the show and the book. At first it sets up like any other fantasy tale. Then you see the queen "cheating" on her husband by having a love affair with... her twin brother. Disgusting. But disgusting is entertaining and that pulled me in.

Then, seeing Jaime push Bran out of that tower to cover his secret. That's what got me hooked. That showed me that this was going to be a disturbing story that wasn't going to be easy to read. Now it's just a game of, "What is the next big 'oh shit' moment going to be?"

Alas, Ned's discovery. That is what solidified my "hook."

Think of me as a fish. When Bran was pushed from the tower, that was me getting hooked. When Ned discovered the truth, that was me being caught, pulled out of the water. I can never go back now; at this point I can only move forward, (and by that I mean continue following the story.)

i havent read any fiction in years and literally just began reading the first novel of the series as i picked up the first 4 books boxed set at walmart a few weeks ago after watching the series repeatedly for a few weeks strait now and am about 15 pages into GoT and havent quite gotten hooked yet but was wondering how long it has taken you page wise to truely became enthralled in this book? Also greetings and salutations as i am quite new to the forum :-)

2 books, almost

• 6 months later...

Iv seen the show first. So i got hooked as soon as i opened the book lol. I knew the books would be masterpieces cause the show is amazing and one thing i figured out to be true some time ago is if the show/movie is good,the book has to be great. I got hooked instantly because the way GRRM describes places,weather,feelings is something else. In the prologue,you know how cold it is,you that its unforgiving,when the Walker and Ser Waymar duel,you can see it. Just awesome work from GRRM. And it only gets better.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched season 1 of the show before getting the books. I was hooked on the book when Tyrion appeared. I love his whit and pearls of wisdom. I also enjoyed the Dany chapters because of the Dothraki. I bought the 7 book boxset with map of Westeros and the free cities. Defiantly good value at £30 (half price deal).

Archived