Watch, Watched, Watching: Spring Edition

RedEyedGhost

The old thread is over 400.

I watched Butter on netflix streaming the other day, and it is pretty good, but it was missing a little something to make it great. The butter sculptures was very impressive though.

Just watched Ran for the first time. I liked it a lot. I wasn't really into the make-up and acting style for Hidetora though. I'm aware that it was supposed to be in the vein of Japanese Noh theater, and I can appreciate the idea (and possibly the execution if I was more familiar with Noh), but personally it just felt out of place to me. That being said, it was still a fantastic movie with some incredible visuals.

More awkward than funny, but the
was kind of funny.

Speaking of Ricky Gervais I tried watching the first episode of Derek, and it was beyond awful - especially Karl Pilkington playing Karl Pilkington with a wig. I think I made it 2/3 through before I shut it down.3

Psych was great tonight, and Gus had me rolling:

"I don't want to be the black Von Trapps, I want to be 'I am Legend.'"

"Via Tostitos Mexican Lassie."

I'm still really enjoying Go On, and it might just be my favorite new show this season. The cast has amazing chemistry, and my only real complaint is that John Cho doesn't get enough time. His stuff with Lauren this week was wonderful.

I'm starting to get into Golden Boy. I was tepid at first, but its growing on me. I don't watch much tv, so its basically Person of Interest, Elementary, Castle, and now this. I don't like it nearly as much as the others, but there is something about the interaction between the characters that i am starting to dig.

The first two episodes of Top of the Lake, a six/seven? episode miniseries by Jane Campion, and starring Elizabeth Moss and a whole bunch of Kiwi and Aussie actors. Moss plays a Kiwi-born Australian detective (I think? It was a little unclear there. Anyway, all that's important is that she's a cop from somewhere else), visiting home, a very remote rural town in New Zealand, to care for her sick mother. Moss is asked to help with the case of Tui, the 12 year old daughter of the local troublemaker and possible crimelord, who turns out to be pregnant but refuses to say who the father is. Can't say much more without spoiling anything, except that the show seems to be a really focused police procedural, playing out the investigation of a single case.

I'm liking it so far. Slow paced, but very atmospheric, with interesting characters and an incredible setting. It shares a lot of similarities with The Killing, but unlike The Killing I think this show has the substance to go along with the style. Moss' accent is a little wobbly at times, but she generally does a good job. the only puzzling thing to me was repeated references to Moss' character visiting from Sydney, where she works, which is another country, obviously. Not really sure how an Aussie cop has any jurisdiction or authority whatsoever in New Zealand (even if she was born there), but maybe I missed the explanation.

Last night I finished watching season 3 of The Wire. I never watched it when it was on and have been doing a marathon. What an unbelievably awesome police drama. Tremendous. It feels so real. Amazing.

Starting American Horror Story for the first time now.

I thought that was one of the worst things of which I watched an entire season. It's just so fucking stupid, but it seems to have a good number of fans here.

Oops posted in the old thread, is gonna get locked soon

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Blancanieves, a silent black and white retelling of Snow White set in spain. It's truly great, brilliant visuals and really unique storytelling. Very moving too. A++! 5 stars! Would watch again!! That's as far as my reviewing skills go.

From the other thread:

Really? Go watch 128 hours. Watch Pineapple Express. Watch Spring Breakers. Those are three movies where Franco was incredible.

I just saw Spring Breakers and it was nothing like I expected. I really liked it but you have to know going into it that it's fucking insane. The girl I was with was not as impressed.

For me, those are exceptions, not the rule. I'm of the opinion that when James Franco is in the hands of a good director or when he's playing himself, he excels, but most of the time he's like winging it.

For me, those are exceptions, not the rule. I'm of the opinion that when James Franco is in the hands of a good director or when he's playing himself, he excels, but most of the time he's like winging it.

He wasn't really playing himself in any of those movies. Maybe they're the exception but they're the first three movies off of the top of my head and he was tremendous in them all, especially Spring Breakers.

He wasn't really playing himself in any of those movies. Maybe they're the exception but they're the first three movies off of the top of my head and he was tremendous in them all, especially Spring Breakers.

I meant that he acts like his usual self, I do hope I came across clear (or maybe I'm the one misunderstanding :blushing: ). I know he's capable but he has to be consistent because Oz, for one, is a mixed bag of scenes that range from good to painful to watch. But Raimi is not without blame here, the other actors in the movie were not utilized very well, but less noticeable.

Ahh, I'm doing Buffy. Haven't seen the whole series and a friend bought me the DVDs as a gift. I think that's a BIG hint. :) Loved Firefly, so looking forward to it.

Just finished watching season 2 of Girls and found it a bit lacking (overall) compared to the first season. Too much ranting and raging by Hannah. That said, there were some awesome moments there, just had to hunt to find them.

Game of Thrones starts soon.

Started up on second half of Grimm this season.

Finished House of Cards on Netflix and LOVED it.

Thinking about also starting Newsroom.

Has anyone seen the Sky series Spy? I accidentally caught an episode some weeks ago, and now I'm hooked (last night was ep 2 of season 2). I missed the first few episodes, but it appears to be a show about a goofball unit of MI5, starring a clumsy agent with marital problems, a cynical genious son, a colleague he has the hots for and a drug and booze addicted boss with a semi-gay crush on him. It's completely ridiculous, and I'm laughing my ass off.

Archived