Watch, Watched, Watching: Spring Edition

RedEyedGhost

I watched Luc Besson's The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec. I found it a bit mixed, although it was enjoyable enough to be worth watching. I liked Louise Bourgoin as the heroine (who is a better female Indiana Jones than Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider movie) but the supporting cast was often trying a bit too hard to be quirky and not trying hard enough to be interesting. The villains in particular were a bit bland, one character (who seems to have blatantly wandered in from Raiders of the Lost Ark) appears to be set up as the main villain but hardly appears in most of the film. I think some of the humour may have been lost in translation but I did like the resurrected mummies at the end.

I just watched Hansel&Gretel: Witch Hunters. Hansel suffered from diabetes because the witch who tried to fatten him when he and Gretel were captured as children gave him way too much candy. :blink: Not sure if the movie was hilarious, or just plain mad. Cool costumes for witches, though.

I've been on a binge the last few months of marathoning shows I'd never watched before. Ranking them top to bottom

Breaking Bad

The Killing

Mad Men

Battlestar Galactica

Dexter

The Walking Dead

Couldn't get into Dr. Who and Justified. Tried as best I could. But now I'm in a great place for TV, as there is always something I like running new episodes. GOT just ended, but now I have The Killing, Dexter and Luther. Once Dexter and The Killing are up, it's Breaking Bad, then Boardwalk Empire, Homeland, Sherlock and The Walking Dead. Then GOT and Mad Men come back in the spring

Sadly a few of these shows are in their final seasons, so I will have to replace them with something

Pacific Rim last weekend........objectively speaking, I think it is somewhat polarizing. I don't expect everyone to like or enjoy it. The cinema's less stellar audio (poor choice of theater this time) also detracts from the experience.

Personally, it is quite enjoyable, and I appreciate that the amount of infodump is limited (or unnoticeable, with what I consider a mostly show-don't-tell approach). I have a few concerns with jarring editing, as some powerful scenes did not get as much impact because of it.

I've been on a binge the last few months of marathoning shows I'd never watched before. Ranking them top to bottom

Breaking Bad

The Killing

Mad Men

Battlestar Galactica

Dexter

The Walking Dead

Couldn't get into Dr. Who and Justified. Tried as best I could. But now I'm in a great place for TV, as there is always something I like running new episodes. GOT just ended, but now I have The Killing, Dexter and Luther. Once Dexter and The Killing are up, it's Breaking Bad, then Boardwalk Empire, Homeland, Sherlock and The Walking Dead. Then GOT and Mad Men come back in the spring

Sadly a few of these shows are in their final seasons, so I will have to replace them with something

I'd give Justified another chance, I was also really skeptical about it on the first season. I wasn't a big fan of how it seemed to be a new story every episode, with a minor storyline continuing for the entire series. But at the end of the first season the main storyline starts to come into play and they ease off on the new-case-every-episode formula they did at the start.

I just watched Hansel&Gretel: Witch Hunters. Hansel suffered from diabetes because the witch who tried to fatten him when he and Gretel were captured as children gave him way too much candy. :blink: Not sure if the movie was hilarious, or just plain mad. Cool costumes for witches, though.

I enjoyed that quite a bit. It definitely wasn't good, but it sure was fun!

Breaking Bad

The Killing

Mad Men

Battlestar Galactica

Dexter

The Walking Dead

:shocked:

That's me fighting off a stroke. Justified is the best show running right now, it's frickin amazing! The only show from the past five years better than Justified is Terriers. Why wasn't that show on AMC? It's a travesty that The Killing made it out of its first season, yet Terriers didn't.

The third season of Luther. Man the just-aired third episode was awesome.

Getting kicked in the groin is not awesome :(

Although, Ripley getting killed wasn't unexpected after Luther both invited him into his home, and asked him why he hadn't been promoted yet. Great episode, but he'll surely be missed.

Watched Reservoir Dogs, for only the 3rd time. This may sound silly but I love the dialog in this film :laugh:. Loved Steve Buscemi, Michael Madsen & Chris Penn. I think this is Tarantino's best cameo.

It's not silly to love Tarantino's dialogue. Dialogue and monologue is what he does absolutely best, the story in his movies doesn't seem to be a high priority with him, sometimes there doesn't even seem to be one. Just scenes cut together. Agree about the actors, Buscemi is great and brings a certain kind of quirk to his characters which always seem to fit.

Just watched Infernal Affairs, which was a good movie. Plus points for originality and a great ending, actually the ending is probably better than The Departed. It was some time since I saw The Departed, but I still think I'd have to say The Departed is a better movie in general, although it has copied very much from IA. But The Departed was longer and is more recognizable for a western person. If I recall correctly you get a little more time with the characters, and it's just well paced. Both great movies, but for me The Departed is a bit better, even though it has pretty much copied half the movie.

I watched Scott Pilgrim vs The World (which I recorded when it was on TV recently). I like Edgar Wright as a director but I think I prefer his work with Pegg and Frost to this, although it was enjoyable and the fight scenes in particular were fun. I think the biggest problem was that Scott was both annoying and uninteresting as a character and the supporting cast was more interesting. I think this is where it suffers with comparison to Wright's previous TV/films, Tim and Daisy, Shaun and Nicholas Angel are likeable characters and they helped those stories be more than just a disconnected sequence of quirky scenes.

Donnie Darko, for the millionth time. Man Jake Gylenhaal would have killed as Spider Man(Raimi's spidey). As always I loved the music. One of my favorite films.

I'm trying & failing to get into Suits, I can't even finish the first episode :worried:

After seeing Donnie Darko, I always thought Jake Gyllenhaal would have made a good Anakin Skywalker in the prequels.

Then again, a cardboard box with a smiley face drawn on it would've been an improvement over Hayden Christensen.

Went to watch The World's End yesterday. Waited an hour for the cinema to fix their projector... To no avail.

Went home to finish watching Lost instead. Still felt a bit crushed by the ending. But I will say the show held up well for me in pure entertainment terms on my second viewing. Smashing through six seasons in a month helped keep the momentum up. It's flawed but it still works for me as a character-driven show.

Went to watch The World's End yesterday. Waited an hour for the cinema to fix their projector... To no avail.

Went home to finish watching Lost instead. Still felt a bit crushed by the ending. But I will say the show held up well for me in pure entertainment terms on my second viewing. Smashing through six seasons in a month helped keep the momentum up. It's flawed but it still works for me as a character-driven show.

Almost Ironic with "world's end"

I honestly could not watch the final season of lost again knowing how it ends. I think the ending of season 5 is a good enough ending for me.

Archived