Watch, Watched, Watching: Spring Edition

RedEyedGhost

Searching for Sugar Man. Fascinating tale, and a real heart-warming conclusion. Lovely guy, lovely daughters. My only gripe: his wife / mother(s?) of his daughters not mentioned once. Could be legit reasons for that e.g. she/they didn't want to be part of the doco, but it was a significant omission which should have got some sort of footnote at least explaing why the notable absence.

They also didn't show how he felt about the part his music played in the downfall of apartheid. The certainly showed his and his daughters' reactions to the fact he was hugely popular in South Africa, but no comments from them about the political influence of his music. The movie certainly suggested his music stirred white liberals into open support of dismantling apartheid. But perhaps the effect was overblown?

Just saw Jurassic Park in IMAX 3D and it was phenomenal. Twenty years later and it's still a benchmark in special effects. Do not miss this one in the theater, folks.

I really would love to see that movie again on the big screen with a full accompaniment of theatre speakers. I do not wish that so much that I would sit in the dark wearing sunglasses trying to watch the thing in 3d.

A funny tidbit. I spent the day with my Mother driving up to Oklahoma. On the ride, she told me that my sister went to go see this movie yesterday, and came back and told her that she liked the original better. She actually thought it was a remake.

I have a very dumb sister.

I really would love to see that movie again on the big screen with a full accompaniment of theatre speakers. I do not wish that so much that I would sit in the dark wearing sunglasses trying to watch the thing in 3d.

A funny tidbit. I spent the day with my Mother driving up to Oklahoma. On the ride, she told me that my sister went to go see this movie yesterday, and came back and told her that she liked the original better. She actually thought it was a remake.

I have a very dumb sister.

That is hilarious.

I feel the same way. I would love to see it again on the big screen. But 3D sickness is enough to put that idea to rest.

I am doing a re-watch of Scrubs. I'm half way through season 4. I love this show. Sure there are some miss episodes amongst some awesome hit episodes. The Ben (Best friend and brother in law to Dr Cox) Episodes get me every single time.

What I'm noticing this time around though. JD is a bit of a selfish dick. (In a less funny way than I think I previously viewed it) And the JD and Elliot relationship on and off again is incredibly painful and off putting.

Even so I'm finding myself still laughing out load and tearing up. The writing is still powerful and the cast have one of those great natural dynamics.

I watch A LOT of tv as I am home working during the day. Mainly it's background noise because I am not used to quiet places and things.

Caught up on Sons of Anarchy, Scandal, Revenge, Grey's, Vampire Diaries, The Following, Deception (I heard it's getting cancelled, which sucks, imo), Zero Hour (cancelled, lol), Ben & Kate, New Girl, Don't Trust the B (cancelled and I must say, a travesty that it has been), The Office, Community, Parks and Rec, SVU, Modern Family, Once Upon a Time, Arrow, Beauty and the Beast, Mad Men, GoT, The Killing...others.

Catching up on Breaking Bad, last 3 episodes of Walking Dead, Vikings, Psych and Doctor Who.

I started Spy, The Americans, Sherlock & Misfits.

I highly recommend Source Code with Jake Gylenhall, for me its the most underrated Sci-Fi movie of all time. Should be up there with the greats like Blade Runner.

I just watched Source Code, and although I enjoyed the movie a whole lot...

I was left with the thought that this movie sure had a happy ending for everyone involved unless your name happened to be Steven, and you were a teacher riding on a train with an incredibly hot girl who had a crush on you. One minute you were a person, and the next, your identity completely vanishes.

When looked at in this light, it makes the movie a horror flick.

I've been watching a lot of TV lately.

- Being Human (US) just finished its 3rd season. Really good. Hope it's renewed.

- Supernatural is ending its season soon. I am on board.

- Bates Motel is a guilty pleasure. Freddy Highmore plays an adorable nutter.

- Hannibal had a fantastic pilot.

- Game of Thrones (duuuuh!)

- Mad Men -- I guess I need one show that lacks vampires, murder, and excessive violence

- The Borgias is starting its 3rd season Sunday. Holy shit so excited. I kick-started the Season 3 thread if anyone wants to discuss.

The two films I want to see right now are Jurassic Park and Stoker.

I've been watching a lot of TV lately.

- Being Human (US) just finished its 3rd season. Really good. Hope it's renewed.

ng its 3rd season Sunday. Holy shit so excited. I kick-started the Season 3 thread if anyone wants to discuss.

http://insidetv.ew.c...-season-4-syfy/

It just renewed for season 4. I actually enjoy this show more than The Walking Dead.

That's awesome news. I really enjoyed the finale

The scene with Liam, Josh, Nora, and the mutant vampires was really good. Now we have mutant vamps, Josh as whatever the hell he is, Sally is also gaining more ghostly power and being dragged off to hell... plus Aidan's wife is still around (Katherine Isabelle :drool: ) Next season looks to be quite fun!

And I enjoy it more than The Walking Dead too.

http://insidetv.ew.c...-season-4-syfy/

It just renewed for season 4. I actually enjoy this show more than The Walking Dead.

You just made my night! Thank you!

I lurve Being Human. It started as my fluff fix and grew into something more. Gosh darnit Josh and his puppy eyes, Aiden and his ability to fuck anything up, and Bishop for just being a magnificent bastard.

Derfel Cadarn: What Riggs say is a pretty common thing to say though. He probably felt vulnerable and when Murtaugh helped him he used it as a defense mechanism. It is not meant as anything much. And Riggs do like to speak his mind concerning the other thing you pointed out. That is what makes him a great character. In the fourth movie he totally parodizes asians in the china restaurant, but that doesn't have to make him racist. It is just the way Riggs is, and he is a boss. I do like Lethal weapon very much. It is one of the better action movies out there in my opinion.

I have gotten into an asian period now. Am gonna watch Seven Samurai for the first time tomorrow, and is looking into some wuxia. Crouching Tiger is a masterpiece, and maybe the other wuxia movies might not be that class (we'll see) I still have found some pretty interesting movies. The aestethic is great too. And the whole feel of it.

I'm one of the few who didn't like Riggs at all, and my fave of the series (4, if I remember) was the introduction of Jet Li...I instantly crushed on that guy! :drool:

It's rather telling that I've watched the first Die Hard at least 20 times over the years (go John, go!), and watched Lethal weapon 2 times...I just can't get into it.

As for Asian movies, my current favourites are The Raid (which caused Dredd to fail at the box office, unfortunately), Red Cliff (epically long, but epic nonetheless) and Hero.

Then there's Kung Fu Hustle... definitely not safe to watch after undergoing surgery! :rofl:

Three Colors - Blue: Emotional and great story with a beautiful Juliette Binoche in the lead. Clever, moving and well-made. Thoughtful too.

Three Colors - White: The weakest in the trilogy. Neither the storyline nor the characters really enticed me. And what the main character did in the ending felt very juvenile. Sure, he was hurt, but put someone into prison for life. hmmm, there are better ways to get vengeance on people than that.

Three Colors - Red: Interesting, with two characters clashing which made for some good scenes. A beautiful Irene Jacob in the lead who made you feel very much for her. Also thoughtful and asks some pretty good moral questions.

A good trilogy, beautiful, but maybe a little too slow-moving at times. But that depends on what you're after. But it feels like none of the characters really showed emotions. And people don't always do. The first movie is made around her not showing emotions, which makes it a little better. But sometimes I thought they just needed to stand up and scream. But a very good trilogy all in all. Red and Blue are two masterpieces though, I agree on that.

I think we finally finished up all of our basketball obsessing last night after watching the documentary Off the Rez about the Schimmel family and Shoni Schimmel's journey that eventually led her to U of L. Very good. You can see very clearly that she gets her intensity from her mother. It's a good story, plus a nice happy ending.

Saw Danny Boyle's new film, Trance, yesterday. It was very good. I get the impression Danny Boyle has been watching a lot of Nolan films recently, but in a good way. Cassel, Mcavoy and Dawson were all really strong.

TV- I'm watching Parks and Rec for the first time and I'm loving it. Ron and April are my favourites, but Ben Wyatt and I are practically the same person.

Have set the DVR to record the first six episodes of Top of the Lake on Sundance on Sunday, in prep for the final episode on Monday. First heard of this mini series a while back during the Sundance film festival, where it was screened marathon-style, all seven hours in one screening. Murder mystery, Jane Campion, New Zealand, Elisabeth Moss - really looking forward to this one. I've heard nothing but amazing reviews and I thank Brady for reminding me about it.

Archived