Who is Gyles Rosby's ward?

Young Nan

I am re-reading AFFC, and his ward has been mentioned twice in the Cersei chapters.

First, Falyse Stokeworth talks about how Rosby's ward would not admit them to the castle while they were traveling.

Then, after Gyles Rosby dies, Pycelle tells Cersei that his ward is his heir, and she just cuts him off, saying "not of his blood". He tries to argue "but his heir-" and she cuts him off again.

I searched for threads about this, and the only one I could find was a few years old. I am wondering if anyone picked up any info on it since DWD came out? I am wondering why it was mentioned twice, and how this is going to come back later to bite Cersei on the ass (like so many other things she does).

I think it will be important but we have no clues. The only mention in ADwD is:

The Grand Maester consulted his papers. “We should address the Rosby inheritance. Six claims have been put forth—”

“We can settle Rosby at some later date. What else?

I would love if it was one of Robert's bastards. I hear a lot about those Freys that were good, but meh... Baratheons over Freys. I don't care Perwyn still wanted to be Robb's squire.. Robert wasn't always a womanizing, drunken sod

What does Rosby have to do with the freys?

Is it said if Rosby fought for the Targs or for Robert...maybe its a hidden targ...a long shot but who eles could it be?

Good God no, not another Targaryen :bang:

I also believe it'll be important, just can't think who it would really affect the most. All we can suspect is that maybe he resents the Lannisters (not admitting Stokeworth into the castle), plus Lord Rosby died in service to the Lannisters in KL, he might not be too happy with that.

Perhaps there might be an anti-Lannister plot that was being led by Gyles Rosby and his ward? And him becoming master of coin and becoming part of the small council could've been to infiltrate the Lannisters in their seat of power, while his ward (less tactful about the situation by openly denying the Stokeworths shelter) stayed at home.

There's just such little textual evidence to really form any ideas about him IMO.

ETA: Also in Dunk and Egg:

The Rosby family fought against the Blackfyre rebellion, not sure about Robert's rebellion though.

I also believe it'll be important, just can't think who it would really affect the most. All we can suspect is that maybe he resents the Lannisters (not admitting Stokeworth into the castle), plus Lord Rosby died in service to the Lannisters in KL, he might not be too happy with that.

Perhaps there might be an anti-Lannister plot that was being led by Gyles Rosby and his ward? And him becoming master of coin and becoming part of the small council could've been to infiltrate the Lannisters in their seat of power, while his ward (less tactful about the situation by openly denying the Stokeworths shelter) stayed at home.

There's just such little textual evidence to really form any ideas about him IMO.

The Rosby family fought against the Blackfyre rebellion, not sure about Robert's rebellion though.

I dont think Rosby knew about the master of coin job...I think he was givin the job on short notice in order to piss of the Tyrell's

I think it will be important but we have no clues. The only mention in ADwD is:

The Grand Maester consulted his papers. “We should address the Rosby inheritance. Six claims have been put forth—”

“We can settle Rosby at some later date. What else?

Poor pycelle, never gets to finish his sentences when Cersei is around lol.

See, a third mention in the text, with Pycelle getting cut off twice before mentioning who it is, gets my spider senses tingling. I wonder whats going on in Rosby.

I also believe it'll be important, just can't think who it would really affect the most. All we can suspect is thadid maybe he resents the Lannisters (not admitting Stokeworth into the castle), plus Lord Rosby died in service to the Lannisters in KL, he might not be too happy with that.

Definitely something wierd going on, I wish there were more clues in the text. I tend to miss these little hints unless I read carefully so I'm always curious to know if any other readers picked up on something that I didnt catch.

Poor pycelle, never gets to finish his sentences when Cersei is around lol.

See, a third mention in the text, with Pycelle getting cut off twice before mentioning who it is, gets my spider senses tingling. I wonder whats going on in Rosby.

Actually that was Kevan who interrupted Pycelle that time, Kevan and the small council were dealing with Aegon and the Faith rearmed.

@ Ciglon

The Rosbys are from the Crownlands and fought on the side of the Targaryens during RR.

I don't know who the ward is, or if he will have an important role to play. Bronn is likely one of the claimants for Rosby, and that will probably be his price for Tyrion.

Actually that was Kevan who interrupted Pycelle that time, Kevan and the small council were dealing with Aegon and the Faith rearmed.

@ Ciglon

The Rosbys are from the Crownlands and fought on the side of the Targaryens during RR.

I don't know who the ward is, or if he will have an important role to play. Bronn is likely one of the claimants for Rosby, and that will probably be his price for Tyrion.

Ah, you're right. Ever since the "moon tea for-" thing, I have this belief that Pycelle gets cut off right before saying something important.

And I think maybe it will prove significant that Rosby's declared for the Targaryens during both Roberts and Blackfyre's rebellions. Whoever the heir is, he's gonna be even more pissed when the Lannisters snatch his inheritance out from under him, and therefore even more inclined to support another Dragon.

What does Rosby have to do with the freys?

Walder Frey's fifth wife was Bethany Rosby, and there's an excellent chance one of their children is the ward. (That would explain why Falyse calls the ward "that ill-born wretch"---being a member of House Frey isn't a socially positive thing post-Red-Wedding). The Frey/Rosby children are Roslin, Olyvar, Perwyn, Benfrey, and Willamen. Willamen's a maester and Benfrey died at the Red Wedding, so neither of them can be the ward/heir. The fact that the remaining three are Roslin (married to Edmure at the Red Wedding), Perwyn (not permitted to be present at the Red Wedding, said to be a decent guy in comparison to his relatives), and Olyvar (Robb's squire, wanted to stay with Robb even after the Jeyne marriage) seems likely to be very, very relevant, given the ties there to House Stark.

Roslin can't be the ward and Perwyn showed up briefly at the siege of Riverrun in AFFC (so it's possible, but not likely, that he's the ward), but Olyvar vanished without a trace pre-Red-Wedding. Given his love of Robb he's likely to be a Stark loyalist, and his sister was treated rather shabbily by the rest of House Frey, so he'd be primed to throw over House Frey in favor of House Stark. (It certainly wouldn't hurt that Perwyn, his only remaining full brother, wasn't at the Red Wedding, and seems likely to have opposed it. We know from Merritt Frey that the Freys side with full siblings more than half siblings, so if Olyvar becomes Lord Rosby and throws over Lord Walder, Perwyn would probably side with him.)

If Olyvar (or Perwyn, depending) is the ward/heir, it could have a number of interesting implications for a Stark-led resurgence. House Rosby is incredibly wealthy (and the North needs money), they'd be an excellent ally to anyone wanting to storm King's Landing, and there might be a reason why the ward refused to let Falyse Stokeworth enter Rosby (maybe he's doing something there, or hiding someone there, that he didn't want publicly known?)

The Rosby inheritance keeps getting mentioned, so presumably it'll play some role in the future. That there's a connection between House Rosby and the only Freys who would probably be willing to side with the resurgent Starks seems unlikely to be a coincidence.

Yes tze that was very comprehensive and seems to be a really likely possibility. If that is the case, I wonder if we will see any division within house Frey between the Stark- loyalist and Lannister- loyalist Freys.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After looking at this again I believe that Rosby's ward is Olyvar Frey. He was only a squire so he is young enough to be a ward. He has a distant relationship through his mother and Rosby's maester is a Frey.

It makes sense, Olyvar did not know about the red wedding and could have explained to Lord Gyles that he did not want to be associated with someone who violated the guest rite. I doubt that Lord Gyles would think him to be a Stark sympathizer.

The ward is mentioned too many times to not to come back as a player.

Archived