LonCon 3 2014

Membership (finally) bought! I'll be in really early everyone! Going to Cropredy the weekend prior and I'll be back in London on Monday August 11. I can't wait to see you all!

Hurrah! Can't wait to meet you, Lily. :)

I'll be arriving on the Thursday morning and leaving London on Sunday. For anyone else coming in on Air Canada, their flights start landing at and taking off from the new Terminal 2 at Heathrow in June.

Is that all the time, or just at night? Not that I plan on taking the bus around London anytime soon, mind. I doubt I'll venture very far away from the ExCel :P

It's all the time. Great idea, right? What are you supposed to do when you get on the bus to work and your card happens to not work on that particular day? Because the driver will just tell you to get off... Not looking forward to that tbh.

So, I have a question.

I popped up in this thread a couple of months ago, eager to make contact with you fine people, and book the trip to London. However, I have been unsuccessful in securing the finances needed for it. And now I had an idea (which is probably a longshot, but still) - I've got it in my head to reach out to a local media and offer them to cover the Con as their reporter in exchange for them paying all the expenses.

Before going forward, however, I'd like to ask the Con veterans here this. If I came as a reporter for a media, would that make my presence in certain off-the-record events (like BWB parties, meetings with GRRM himself) awkward and possibly unwanted? I know that some of those are pretty casual (and private), and I don't intend to shed a light on them - but I imagine that if the media deal pans out, I would have to offer them something, and the only thing I have is that as part of the fandom I can provide a look from within it (a very limited look, respecting the privacy of all people involved).

I'm clearly grasping at straws here, but I've been dreaming about going to this con for a long time now. However, I want to do it for the experience of meeting the people - so the whole purpose of the trip would be defeated if due to the way I manage to get there, I end up losing the human connection. It would be somewhat of a pyrrhic victory.

Lily, if you fancy seeing the South Coast during the few days before the con, you're most welcome to crash in my spare room for a night or two :)

Sweet Min! Once everything's all nailed down I will be in touch! Yippee!

So, I have a question.

I popped up in this thread a couple of months ago, eager to make contact with you fine people, and book the trip to London. However, I have been unsuccessful in securing the finances needed for it. And now I had an idea (which is probably a longshot, but still) - I've got it in my head to reach out to a local media and offer them to cover the Con as their reporter in exchange for them paying all the expenses.

Before going forward, however, I'd like to ask the Con veterans here this. If I came as a reporter for a media, would that make my presence in certain off-the-record events (like BWB parties, meetings with GRRM himself) awkward and possibly unwanted? I know that some of those are pretty casual (and private), and I don't intend to shed a light on them - but I imagine that if the media deal pans out, I would have to offer them something, and the only thing I have is that as part of the fandom I can provide a look from within it (a very limited look, respecting the privacy of all people involved).

I'm clearly grasping at straws here, but I've been dreaming about going to this con for a long time now. However, I want to do it for the experience of meeting the people - so the whole purpose of the trip would be defeated if due to the way I manage to get there, I end up losing the human connection. It would be somewhat of a pyrrhic victory.

Crannog, you would probably need to contact GRRM's minions about that - Raya, Lord Jo (both on this board and available for PM). My initial assumption is that it wouldn't be a big deal if you swore a binding oath on the Stranger and the Many Faced God that you won't repeat anything heard at BwB events. You'd also probably get mad props for figuring out a way to get someone else to pay your way. If you get the money, then go to the minions.

I am looking for a hostel bed instead of a hotel, so if I find anything, I will let you know.

Crannog, you would probably need to contact GRRM's minions about that - Raya, Lord Jo (both on this board and available for PM). My initial assumption is that it wouldn't be a big deal if you swore a binding oath on the Stranger and the Many Faced God that you won't repeat anything heard at BwB events. You'd also probably get mad props for figuring out a way to get someone else to pay your way. If you get the money, then go to the minions.

I am looking for a hostel bed instead of a hotel, so if I find anything, I will let you know.

...and camping with me the week before? You can always crowd in with Me and Maid. We're at Novotel.

Archived