What did Joff actually do to Tommen?

ladyofslytherin

I can't find any older threads discussing this (if there are any, please link me!), but there were several comments on another topic indicating that there's reason to believe Joffrey sexually abused Tommen. The only line I can find in any of the novels where it refers to Tommen being abused by him at all is when he tells Jaime that he "goes away inside" when "Joffey" does something, but he's interrupted before he can give specifics by Cersei angrily correcting his pronunciation of Joffrey's name.

As of ADWD, is there any contextual evidence that Joff sexually abused his brother? And if so, what?

God, why does everybody automatically assume it's sexual abuse? It's plausible in Euron and Aeron's case, considering Euron's rapey nature, but I just don't see Joffrey doing it. He's 13 years old, for god's sake. He probably just verbally and physically abused him. Tommen's a soft-hearted little boy, it really wouldn't take much to hurt him.

God, why does everybody automatically assume it's sexual abuse? It's plausible in Euron and Aeron's case, considering Euron's rapey nature, but I just don't see Joffrey doing it. He's 13 years old, for god's sake. He probably just verbally and physically abused him. Tommen's a soft-hearted little boy, it really wouldn't take much to hurt him.

:agree:

• 2 weeks later...

:agree: too because we saw how he was with the Butcher's Boy Mikah he's just violent and was probably a little shit to his younger brother by beating the crap out of him

• 2 weeks later...

Disappearing to one's inner world is commonly associated with sexual abuse. I seem to remember similar language from early Dany/Drogo scenes.

There are plenty of other victims across the books, and I can't think of any who used the "disappear inside" type language when sex wasn't implied.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Disappearing to one's inner world is commonly associated with sexual abuse. I seem to remember similar language from early Dany/Drogo scenes.

There are plenty of other victims across the books, and I can't think of any who used the "disappear inside" type language when sex wasn't implied.

Disappearing to ones inner-self can be associated to many kinds of abuse, not just sexual.

I always took it to be not actually Joffrey necessarily abusing Tommen personally, but just his reaction when Joffrey was up to something shitty, for example if I remember rightly (might just have been on the show), Tommen was there when Joffrey tried to have Dontos drowned, which would be traumatic enough to watch, especially as a child.

Joffrey has a sexually devient nature aswell.

• 4 months later...

Bump?

Give me one instance in which he wanted to sexually abuse someone, preferably male.. If anything Joffrey's a sadist to the whore(s) Tyrion sent him.

You don't remember his rape threats to sansa? When he commanded his kingsguard to beat her and strip her? I have no doubt he was getting a sexual thrill from it the same way that Aerys got a sexual thrill from torturing and tormenting people, and judging from the tommen quote in the OP i dont think its extreme to think he perfected it on tommen, at an age of sexual frustration. Why does it have to be a male example? That scene you're talking about wasn't canon, it was just from the TV show, wasn't it?

• 11 months later...

Not sure what his age has to do with it, considering all the other horrible things Joffrey has done. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to think that he could sexually abuse someone. I'm not saying I think he did it to Tommen, because I don't think he did, I just don't think it would be totally out of the realm of possibility for him. More than likely, Tommen's reaction of drawing into himself is a result of, like you said, Joffrey's verbal and physical abuse, and of witnessing the other atrocities he's commited.

Archived