Do you think that the long night will return? If yes, when and how?

I've always thought the wall will come down (freeing Jon Snow from his vows), and the final battle will be at Winterfell. I think Jon Snow, Dany, and someone will be the 3 dragon riders, who start pushing back the retreat with dragon fire, and then eventually all 3 fly to the Land of Always Winter together to fight The Great Other.

I see the Others using their army of Wights to basically demolish all of Westeros and its inhabitants. If their invasion takes place in the middle of WoW then the rest of the book may pan out as weird fantasy-based version of the Walking Dead until Dany arrives :laugh:

But in all seriousness I don't see it happening until close to the end of the book, when the major alliances suddenly have to stop their bickering and face the true danger. Then in the epilogue we will finally see the true identity of the Great Other as he leads his army of dead: Benjen Stark!

The obvious concern is that the long night would be....... you know, a LONG event. So not sure how that's going to fit into two books. It hasn't even started yet.

The next two books will be very long and could easily span 4-5 years in total.

A 5 year winter steeped in darkness is pretty long.

The next two books will be very long and could easily span 4-5 years in total.

A 5 year winter steeped in darkness is pretty long.

A 5 year winter isn't really that unusual by Westerosi standards... a five year long night, however, might be noteworthy.

Actually, it seems a five year winter is unusual. Tyrion claimed to have lived through eight winters IIRC and since summer lasted for years, some clever guy did some calculations and concluded that seasons had to last for around 1-2 years.

I think the wall is coming down in the first half of WOW.

I do not think you are right. The Others need to get to the trident to fight dany ( HoU prophecy), but they need to pass the Wall. the wall is strong as long as the NW stand(something like that. Just imagine what will happen after Jon's (possible) death. He still had some loyalist and Tormund is there. It will be a huge fall-out at Castle Black. I don't know how exactly the watch will fall, cut it will.

Also they can pass at the gorge.

• 2 months later...

I think this is the reason a Stark must always be in Winterfell. My best guess is it's connected to the seasons hence the ridiculous storm when the Boltons set up residence. Possibilities of what the Starks are protecting, apparently without knowing it, include the magical item powering the Wall, an ice dragon, an artifact the Others will seek, or maybe even the Great Other locked away. I think this is how the Others storyline will come to light in the books as well, via the POV's we already have connected to Winterfell, since we're not supposed to get any new POV's.

I think this has the potential to be a Long Night, but that it won't actually last that long, because whatever is causing the wonky seasons will be "solved." Not in a happy-kittens-and-rainbows way, of course; the cost will be in keeping with the series' tone.

Considering that according to the WOIAF snippet that Dragons seem to have troube fighting in the rain, I can't imagine how they will be during the Long Night. Also, the only Dragon is actually big is Drogon. Not to mention, the people of Essos probably fear the Dragons as much as they fear the White Walkers.

If it were so easy for the Dragons to defeat the Winter/White Walkers they would still rule over all of Westeros as they did in ancient times.

I think that whatever the White Walkers are that their threat will be over(Whatever that means), but regardless the survivors will still have to brave the Long Night together, so I agree with you there. I don't think that their will be an Iron Throne in the end

I agree with you. Not sure if its hatred or something trivial like that. They may just look at it like a necessity. Anyone who has played Mass Effect knows where Im coming from

I really hope English isn't your first language. On that note, all the dragons are easily big enough, they've basically been flying around mereen eating people after Q let them loose.

Archived