Pycelle's motivations with Ned

Moi Aussi

Something bothered me when I read Game of Thrones. Pycelle seems loyal to the Lannisters. It also seems he knew, or strongly suspected, that Jaime was the true father of Cersei's children. If those two statements are true, then I don't understand why he would tell Ned Jon Arryn's last words were "the seed is strong" and give Ned the book Jon was reading before he died- the one with the lineage of the great houses and physical descriptions.

It seems he knew Cersie wanted Arryn dead. It appears to me that by giving Ned the information he did, he was deliberately setting Ned down the same road Jon Arryn went down...discovering that the children were the product of Lannister incest.

Even if he wanted Ned to think he was on Ned's side in case the Lannister's fell from power, he didn't need to reveal all this information. He could have made up something less incriminating to the Lannisters.

I don't understand what his motivations are.

I re-read this chapter last night (I've finished the series) and this struck me as quite odd as well.

I put it down to him not realising Ned was investigating a potential murder.

Later books spoiler, read at your own peril:

It's later confirmed Pycelle was indeed aware that Arryn was murdered

• 4 weeks later...

In the context of Thrones, it does appear that Pycelle is setting Ned up. I personally thought giving Ned the book was a very subtle way of going about it, though. And he didn't give him the book to make him think he was on his side, rather he did it so Ned would think Pycelle wasn't aware of what Jon had discovered, and therefore wasn't a threat.

• 2 weeks later...

Something bothered me when I read Game of Thrones. Pycelle seems loyal to the Lannisters. It also seems he knew, or strongly suspected, that Jaime was the true father of Cersei's children. If those two statements are true, then I don't understand why he would tell Ned Jon Arryn's last words were "the seed is strong" and give Ned the book Jon was reading before he died- the one with the lineage of the great houses and physical descriptions.

It seems he knew Cersie wanted Arryn dead. It appears to me that by giving Ned the information he did, he was deliberately setting Ned down the same road Jon Arryn went down...discovering that the children were the product of Lannister incest.

Even if he wanted Ned to think he was on Ned's side in case the Lannister's fell from power, he didn't need to reveal all this information. He could have made up something less incriminating to the Lannisters.

I don't understand what his motivations are.

You are right as far as he is loyal to Lann. and to keeping his head. He has to do anything the hand(Ned) wants because he is there to serve KL for the realm.

• 3 weeks later...

In the context of Thrones, it does appear that Pycelle is setting Ned up. I personally thought giving Ned the book was a very subtle way of going about it, though. And he didn't give him the book to make him think he was on his side, rather he did it so Ned would think Pycelle wasn't aware of what Jon had discovered, and therefore wasn't a threat.

No, I always thought that Pycelle had set Ned up.

Maybe you're right - I can't think of anything else that makes sense. It just seems odd that he wouldn't have figured it out, unless, of course, he is a half wit :-)

No, I think you had it right the first time. Pycelle knew that Cersei's children were not really Robert's, and was able to set Ned up, but probably under Cersei, or Jaime's command.

• 3 weeks later...

Pycelle's only motivations are to serve House Lannister, specifically, Tywin. His loyalties shouldn't lie with anyone really, given that he's a Maester, but since when are vows followed in ASoIaF?

• 2 months later...

Pycell is a half-wit lol

He is loyal to house lannister, I believe that he did allow Jon arryn to die on queens command. I doubt he was ever aware of Jaimie and cersei

Yes, he's not all that smart but he has enough power that Tywin can make use of him when he wants/needs to.

Pycelle's only motivations are to serve House Lannister, specifically, Tywin. His loyalties shouldn't lie with anyone really, given that he's a Maester, but since when are vows followed in ASoIaF?

:agree:

I don't really buy the idea that Pycelle was intentionally setting Ned up. It's an incredibly risky move, especially considering how fast and far the information spread once Ned figured it out. And Pycelle doesn't seem like much of a risk taker.

And yet I wouldn't think that Pycelle would be dumb enough to accidentally give Ned the same breadcrumbs that led Jon Arryn to the right conclusion. Then again, he gave the book to Jon Arryn in the first place so...

Archived