Small questions v.10004

Angalin

I have a question about the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. They get elected by the brothers of NW and serve till death.

But is there an option where they can be legally removed or impeached by the rest of the NW? Or is death the only way they leave their post?

Bloodraven was Lord Commander and he left, so I'm guessing there is a way - whether it is a legal procedure remains to be seen. I think we'll learn more about this with the unfolding of Bloodraven's and Jon's storylines in the next book.

Was it ever adequately explained why Stannis retreated to Dragonstone after Jon Arryn's death? Seems like a total douche move / out of character to abandon Robert to the lions (pun intended) after finding out about the incest issue.

Was it ever adequately explained why Stannis retreated to Dragonstone after Jon Arryn's death? Seems like a total douche move / out of character to abandon Robert to the lions (pun intended) after finding out about the incest issue.

I think he just didn't have enough proof to accuse, but had reason enough to believe that Jon Arryn was murdered for his knowledge and he'd be next unless he retreats to a place of safety.

Pretty much as mentioned above. After Jon Arryn was murdered, Stannis left to Dragonstone because Robert named Ned the Hand instead - another insult - and because he knew that his own life would be in danger for trying to uncover the same thing Jon Arryn was (they were uncovering it together). Ned actually wonders in AGOT why Stannis left too, thinking it was because he might've killed Jon Arryn. But as we find out, and know now, Stannis and Jon Arryn were working together on uncovering the incest thing about Cersei and once poisoned, Stannis needed to gather his forces back on Dragonstone.

As for it being a douche move to abandon Robert, Stannis knew Robert would never believe him about Cersei because that would mean Stannis is the next in line for the throne, ie, it would seem like a power-play.

At the election for the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Mormont's raven flew out of the kettle and landed on Jon's shoulder. Sam did not put the raven in the kettle and admitted he almost wet himself when the bird flew out. Who put the raven in the kettle? Also, the raven in the kettle appears to have been a known and accepted tradition as evidenced by people calling for it and no one objecting to the ceremony. Are there other mentions of a raven in a kettle? Is there some sort of symbolism or story outside of the ASOIAF universe that tells of the significance of a raven in a kettle.

I've done a search, but my searching skills are failing me. Lots of excellent threads about Mormont's raven and it's possible connection with Bloodraven, but can't seem to find the answer to the two specific questions above.

Sorry I completely missed the answer and the third zero.

If you want a real answer- this is the fifth iteration of this thread since Angalin started numbering them (starting with 10000) Before that there were umpteen other unnumbered versions :)

Uhhh.... That's not what I'm asking exactly. I'm asking how did Jon know that Lady was dead and Nymeria lost. This is right after he finds out that Ned's been accused of treason.

Seems like a slip-up to me... You can explain it away with warging but more likely it was a slip-up.

I get the significance of Ghost being white with red eyes, but I wonder, whats the significance of him being silent?

its not even so unusual, albinism presents as a lack of pigment, causing white fur and blood to show through irises.

It seems very odd for animal to be silent, and certainly not related to albinism.

Seems like a slip-up to me... You can explain it away with warging but more likely it was a slip-up.

Thanks, thats what I was thinking it could be. I didn't even catch it until my third time reading it and I was actively searching for hints of warging early on this time through

ETA:

Why did Tywin name his heir Jamie? The "Ty" sound seems to be a family thing, Tyrion thinks that in ADwD chapter I believe after hearing someone with a "Ty" in their name. So why did he name is heir an un-Lannister name and his deformed son who he hates for "killing" his beloved wife a Lannister name?

Uhhh.... That's not what I'm asking exactly. I'm asking how did Jon know that Lady was dead and Nymeria lost. This is right after he finds out that Ned's been accused of treason.

Its easily explained by Raven messages we don't see.

Ladies death and Nymeria's loss happened months before Ned was accused of treason, on the way south to KL.

There is no reason why Jon, who has not yet taken vows, would be cut off from all news of his family, or evidence that he was.

Stuff happens 'offscreen' too.

Archived