Small questions v.10004

Angalin

I get the significance of Ghost being white with red eyes, but I wonder, whats the significance of him being silent?

its not even so unusual, albinism presents as a lack of pigment, causing white fur and blood to show through irises.

It seems very odd for animal to be silent, and certainly not related to albinism.

Albinism in animals is often associated with deafness which in turn can cause muteness. Possibly this is the reason or more likely the correlation which suggested this particular detail to GRRM. Beyond that, I'm sure it has some significance other than genetics and also that Ghost may not be so silent at the beginning of TWoW.

That's funny- I just convinced myself I had imagined that! :P

I'd search my ebooks if I knew which one... or maybe someone with better recall will chime in.

Found it in aCoK.

“When he closed his eyes, he dreamed of direwolves.

There were five of them when there should have been six, and they were scattered, each apart from the others. He felt a deep ache of emptiness, a sense of incompleteness. The forest was vast and cold, and they were so small, so lost. His brothers were out there somewhere, and his sister, but he had lost their scent. He sat on his haunches and lifted his head to the darkening sky, and his cry echoed through the forest, a long lonely mournful sound. As it died away, he pricked up his ears, listening for an answer, but the only sound was the sigh of blowing snow."

So that means Ghost isnt mute right?

Found it in aCoK.

“When he closed his eyes, he dreamed of direwolves.

There were five of them when there should have been six, and they were scattered, each apart from the others. He felt a deep ache of emptiness, a sense of incompleteness. The forest was vast and cold, and they were so small, so lost. His brothers were out there somewhere, and his sister, but he had lost their scent. He sat on his haunches and lifted his head to the darkening sky, and his cry echoed through the forest, a long lonely mournful sound. As it died away, he pricked up his ears, listening for an answer, but the only sound was the sigh of blowing snow."

Yep- That seems pretty conclusive. He must just be the strong silent type ;)

Who accompanied Bloodraven, Aemon & co. to the wall?

Dunk and everyone that was in the dungeons in Kings Landing. Dunk prolly had some other knights with him so he didnt have to ride back to KL alone.

Thanks, where can I find more info about this?

I believe this is the extent of it:

“I was not born blind,” he reminded them. “When last I passed this way, I saw every rock and tree and whitecap, and watched the grey gulls flying in our wake. I was five-and-thirty and had been a maester of the chain for sixteen years. Egg wanted me to help him rule, but I knew my place was here. He sent me north aboard the Golden Dragon, and insisted that his friend Ser Duncan see me safe to Eastwatch. No recruit had arrived at the Wall with so much pomp since Nymeria sent the Watch six kings in golden fetters. Egg emptied out the dungeons too, so I would not need to say my vows alone. My honor guard, he called them. One was no less a man than Brynden Rivers. Later he was chosen lord commander.”

Questions: Must a weirwood tree have a face for a greenseer to be able to "see" anything? I just wonder if they can still see using a weirwood stump or an object made of weirwood.

The implication is that they need the faces to see, that's why the First Men and later the Andals cut the trees down. At one point I think Osha mentions that the old gods can't help Ned down south because the Weirwoods have been cut down. Asha also remembers a legend about how the Children of the Forest turned the trees into warriors to fight back the First Men.

Questions: Must a weirwood tree have a face for a greenseer to be able to "see" anything? I just wonder if they can still see using a weirwood stump or an object made of weirwood.

Im not positive but I think so. The weirwoods on the Isle of Faces were all carved so they could witness the signing of the pact and when Theon hears Bran and when Jon hears Bran, both trees have faces. I think the tree in Harenhal where Arya hears Ned has a face too.

Its easily explained by Raven messages we don't see.

Ladies death and Nymeria's loss happened months before Ned was accused of treason, on the way south to KL.

There is no reason why Jon, who has not yet taken vows, would be cut off from all news of his family, or evidence that he was.

Stuff happens 'offscreen' too.

But that's not information that would get passed along. Most of the info from the South that Jon gets is through Mormont or Aemon/Sam. Why would they

a.) Pass along information that the crown prince was beaten up by a little girl, that's something I feel like they would try and keep on the down low

b.) Pass along that they killed a random little girl

c.) Pass along that another little girl's pet ran away

That isn't the kind of information that gets passed along. Jon doesn't know that Bran can ride a horse now, he doesn't even know Bran was attacked in the wolfswood. I'd say Bran being attacked is more significant than Nymeria running away. So how is it that Jon knows all of this? Either a mistake or its a hint at warging.

But that's not information that would get passed along. Most of the info from the South that Jon gets is through Mormont or Aemon/Sam. Why would they

a.) Pass along information that the crown prince was beaten up by a little girl, that's something I feel like they would try and keep on the down low

b.) Pass along that they killed a random little girl

c.) Pass along that another little girl's pet ran away

That isn't the kind of information that gets passed along. Jon doesn't know that Bran can ride a horse now, he doesn't even know Bran was attacked in the wolfswood. I'd say Bran being attacked is more significant than Nymeria running away. So how is it that Jon knows all of this? Either a mistake or its a hint at warging.

It isn't the kind of information that gets passed along in a letter from Pycelle to the Lord Commander of the Nights Watch, but do we know if Arya can write? I know she can read in the TV show at least. I don't see any reason why Ned or Arya couldn't have written Jon a letter and had it sent. It's not like there's a terrible shortage of ravens and I'm pretty sure the Hand of the King could have whatever letter he wants sent to whomever he wants. It could be an oversight, or as someone said "stuff happens 'offscreen' too. For example if I remember right we don't see Catlyen get the letter about Bran and Rickon's "death," we only see the effects after.

Found it in aCoK.

"When he closed his eyes, he dreamed of direwolves.

I'll go a bit deeper - that's when Lady dies, right? Is it possible for someone to make some kind of a research (I don't have the books, I really neeed to get them back, grrrr) of where Ghost was possibly when Greywind died? Maybe Ghost howls only when some of his siblings die, but noone was there to hear him?

Oh, and also I think Ghost made some sounds and that's why they found him in the very beginning. So at least he wasn't bron mute?

One observation, which may be pretty stupid for you : I'm not a native speaker, so, my books are translated from English. Translation is always a sensitive thing, especially with GRRM's books. So, I wasn't happy with the translation of the word "Reach", and because of that, I started to wonder why GRRM used that name in the first place , when other regions have "normal" names (Westerlands, Riverlands, the North, etc.)

Just yesterday , I got it : Reach is a part of space that you can touch with your hand (my own definition, I don't know English well enough to make a better one - sorry). And green hand was a sigil of house Gardener, the old Kings of Highgarden. So, the Reach is a space under their control.Under control of the hand. That's how it got it's name.

I know it's stupid (and maybe obvious to native speakers), but for me, it was really a nice , GRRM style , detail.

Archived