Small questions v.10004

Angalin

But that's not information that would get passed along. Most of the info from the South that Jon gets is through Mormont or Aemon/Sam. Why would they

a.) Pass along information that the crown prince was beaten up by a little girl, that's something I feel like they would try and keep on the down low

b.) Pass along that they killed a random little girl

c.) Pass along that another little girl's pet ran away

That isn't the kind of information that gets passed along. Jon doesn't know that Bran can ride a horse now, he doesn't even know Bran was attacked in the wolfswood. I'd say Bran being attacked is more significant than Nymeria running away. So how is it that Jon knows all of this? Either a mistake or its a hint at warging.

Because the little girl involved is his family, and he is the one she is closest too.

You and you alone have decided that this info 'wouldn't get passed to Jon'. GRRM appears to have decided that it did.

Until he takes the vow he's not a member of the NW and there is no reason he would be refused letters from his family. And Arya is the single person in his family most likely to write a letter to him.

I'll go a bit deeper - that's when Lady dies, right? Is it possible for someone to make some kind of a research (I don't have the books, I really neeed to get them back, grrrr) of where Ghost was possibly when Greywind died? Maybe Ghost howls only when some of his siblings die, but noone was there to hear him?

Oh, and also I think Ghost made some sounds and that's why they found him in the very beginning. So at least he wasn't bron mute?

That happens in one of the last aCoK Jon chapters while he is off with the Halfhand. I'm not sure if its because of Lady, I think he already knew while still at CB.

Are the Wildlings Westerosi people, too? Or, they are the "illegal immigrants" equivalent in Westeros? :unsure:

Technically Westeros is the continent, "The Seven Kingdoms" is the nation. So I'd say they're Westerosi.

Are the Wildlings Westerosi people, too? Or, they are the "illegal immigrants" equivalent in Westeros? :unsure:

Depends on how you look at it. At this point in time they are all westerosi, but they descend directly from the 1st men, not the Andals

they definitely would be illegal immigrants in the Seven Kingdoms

Its like one quote Tyrion said, something along the lines of, "When our ancestors built this wall we happen to be on the right side of it."

You just named 5 Kings, Bresteil

“I have served six kings,” he told Jaime after the second service, whilst sniffing doubtfully about the corpse, “but here before us lies the greatest man I ever knew.

Just checked the wiki and it says he started under Egg, now I wonder how he came to be a Lannister pet

In ASOS Littlefinger tells Sansa that the Kettleblacks work for him. What does he actually need them to do except for spying on Cersei? I mean, they don't seem very reliable to me and if Cersei finds out, its gonna get ugly. It is a little surprising for me that Littlefinger trusted them out of all people while he was the one who told Sansa who he could and could not trust when Joffrey's murder was planned. Doesn't he have any other informants except for them?

In ASOS Littlefinger tells Sansa that the Kettleblacks work for him. What does he actually need them to do except for spying on Cersei? I mean, they don't seem very reliable to me and if Cersei finds out, its gonna get ugly. It is a little surprising for me that Littlefinger trusted them out of all people while he was the one who told Sansa who he could and could not trust when Joffrey's murder was planned. Doesn't he have any other informants except for them?

The Kettleblack's also 'work' for Bronn and Tyrion, so they could be a source of misinformation from LF to Bronn => Tyrion.

LF likely has other informants, but they are just unnamed servants.

Why is it called Robert's Rebellion? I mean Robert won, and "rebellion" sort of carries a bit of a negative stigma. Why not call it Robert's Revolution?

Sorry but after a debate with my relatives after a sig other said "Hungarian Rebellion" v.s. "Hungarian Revolution" when referencing the two-weeks the Hungarians kicked the Russians out in 1956, I did start to wonder why the winners (well GRRM) went with rebellion v. revolution. More of a philosophical question I guess but I couldn't think of where else to ask it.

Why is it called Robert's Rebellion? I mean Robert won, and "rebellion" sort of carries a bit of a negative stigma. Why not call it Robert's Revolution?

Sorry but after a debate with my relatives after a sig other said "Hungarian Rebellion" v.s. "Hungarian Revolution" when referencing the two-weeks the Hungarians kicked the Russians out in 1956, I did start to wonder why the winners (well GRRM) went with rebellion v. revolution. More of a philosophical question I guess but I couldn't think of where else to ask it.

Revolution has a connotation (in political science) of continuing to roll on, as it was thought of in the French Revolution. Rebellion is more of a one and done. Can't have those small folk think that there will be any real change occurring for them. :commie:

Revolution has a connotation (in political science) of continuing to roll on, as it was thought of in the French Revolution. Rebellion is more of a one and done. Can't have those small folk think that there will be any real change occurring for them. :commie:

Good point, especially since in my example the Hungarians (or at least my relatives) never really gave up on the dream of being rid of the Russians even if they didn't openly fight them after that. Ok question answered. Thank you. :)

Yeah, good point. Also, revolution has this ring to it that it was building up for some time, and more importantly - that the people (smallfolk) revolt against an oppressive rulership. We can make the case of noone liking Aerys and that things were going that way, but people were seeing hope in Rhaegar to be the next ruler, and Tywin and the counsil were not really that bad of rulers. And in Robert's case, it was a single act that actually provoked it, and generally - it was Lords against Lords/Kings. Nothing changed dramatically for the smallfolk, and I guess that's where rebellion comes from.

But yeah, I see where you're coming from atpthornton, generally rebellion is used for an unsuccesful attempt. A ruler would maybe make the case that his war was a revolution against oppression, no matter if it actually was or wasn't. I guess Robert just didn't care enough with such propaganda :P

Question about Davos which I could find not answer on elsewhere:

We know Davos was a key associate of Stannis since Robert's Rebellion.

We know that in the Greyjoy Rebellion, Stannis smashed the Iron Fleet off Fair Isle in a naval battle.

With Davos being such an excellent sailor, was Davos involved? Did he lead a ship, or perhaps part of the fleet ? Did he do reconnaisance that made the victory possible ?

I have never seen or heard any refence to it, but I find it hard to imagine Stannis going into a naval battle without a brave and skilled captain like Davos being there too.

(BTW, if this should be its own thread, say so.)

As I was re-reading AFFC I read one of the Cersei passages where she plots to send 100 men to the Wall to "help" Jon Snow and I remembered that Kettlebacks were to be sent there.

Did those 100 men arrive by end of ADWD? Were they involved with Bowen Marsh's attack on Jon? Did the news of their coming even come to the wall?

Archived