[Possible Spoilers] Five Worst Actors

indignant mushroom

I don't think any of the main actors are bad, and certainly not Emilia Clarke or Kit Harington, who are both theater trained. Actually, I think they are both excellent. If I had to say who of the actors playing main characters has some room for improving acting skills, I would have to say Jason Momoa as Khal Drogo. As much as I like the guy, his acting is about as good as that of Arnold Schwarzenegger, so he keeps getting parts for his body shape, like the Conan role he did after Game of Thrones. I would love to see him surprise viewers with something different.

And that's what they seem like. They have a tendency to over act. I see that a lot when actors and actresses come straight from the theater to the screen. Acting in front of the camera is a much more subtle game than stage acting. Less is more guys.

I also have to disagree with Momoa/Drogo. I thought he was perfect. I'm not going to say Jason Momoa is a brilliant or versatile actor, but he plays the barbarian role effectively. You get the sense that Jason himself would be right at home among the Dothraki.

Kit Harington really bothers me, because he makes Jon look like an absolute wimp who's been sodomized with an Other's ice blade in literally every scene.

People giving Emilia Clarke shit for her acting should really open their eyes. She's one of the few actors on the show who actually takes her role seriously enough to read the books and stay with her character in the books as the show progresses.

For what it's worth Kit has read the books too.

But he's the one who bothers me most. Actors need to bring a bit of themselfs into every role and while I loved Jon in the novel, Kit is a little dull both on and off stage for me.

Don't really have a problem with anyone. Sibel Kekilli and Emilia are both great. I suppose I could name a few side characters but their screen time was so short it barely mattered.

The best are Conleth Hill, Michelle Fairley, and Dinklage.

I guess that's really a matter of preference and taste.

I liked all the actors except for the one playing Gregor Clegane in S2.

Actors who are theater-trained trend to overact, because in a theater you have to make sure everybody gets your actions and your words, especially in the back rows. So, that could be an explanation why Kit and Emilia act like this.

I used to sing in a choir and the conductor told us how to pronounce the words and how to sing so that the audience would hear us.

Less is more guys.

For what it's worth Kit has read the books too.

But he's the one who bothers me most. Actors need to bring a bit of themselfs into every role and while I loved Jon in the novel, Kit is a little dull both on and off stage for me.

No. 'Less is more' is nonsense. More is more. Look at Peter Dinklage who often does a lot of little things that add to a scene which no one asked him to do, Iain Glen who puts lots of meaning in literally every expression, John Bradley-West who manages to make every scene he's in funny somehow...

I agree with you on Kit Harington though.

As for people dissing Emilia, you know who they wanted to cast for the role first? Tamzin Merchant. Think on that when you're unhappy with Emilia. It still makes me shiver.

I think the acting in GoT is fantastic! I don't really like Sibel Kekilli's acting as Shae, but that's probably not her fault so much as the rewriting of her character.

I think that Kit Harington, while he is fantastic in his role, may have hit the wrong nail a bit with his characterisation.

And while Emilia Clarke is perfect as Danaerys, that scene outside the gates of Qarth was cringeworthy.

But I love all of their characters and their acting, and would never change any of them.

The guy who plays Lancel. He succeeds in making Lancel look even more wimpish though.

The Shae actress. Urrgh. Fortunately I hate Shae in the books too.

I didn't even know Gregor was in season 2. When you can't notice The Mountain even in a short scene, something isn't right.

Clarke. Nuff said there. I just cannot take her seriously as Dany at all, Qarth story butchering nonwistanding. She was good in some parts of season 1 though.

Harrington is ok, again better as the more naive Jon in season 1 than coming of age Jon in season 2. Work with Ygritte didn't develop him that much at all. And real Jon is nowhere near as somber and mardy.

Dinklage plays one facet of Tyrion exceptionally well, the witty and intelligent side. My worry is, can he handle the dark side of arguably the series' most well written character? Still remains to be seen. He's far from the worst actor on the show of course, but if he can't pull off post SOS Tyrion then he will no longer look as convincing as he does currently.

When I watch Emilia, I cringe. Dead eyes all the time, and in her fits of anger she sounds nervous, not angry. She does not seem like a confident actor at all.

Kit could be better too. I wish he would emote more, I feel like he's got the one facial expression issue.

You know that Danny needs to be nervous? Because she needs to grow.

I've always found Kit really unconvincing as Jon Snow. The only other one who bugs me is whoever plays Stannis, but that must be direction, not acting. Grind your fucking teeth man! I really can't believe they left that out.

True. He lacks the Stannis personality, and I'm not convince of the acting: he looked like he won't fight to the bitter end. I imagine Jason Statham as Stannis - I think he got it, except he's too hunky. :P

The best are Conleth Hill, Michelle Fairley, and Dinklage.

Conleth Hill blows me away - he is Varys. Agree with these. Also think that Charles Dance is excellent. And Alfie Allen did great with Theon in season 2.

Kit and Emilia are the weakest for me. Aiden (sp?) was a bit rough as well in season 2.

Archived